TIB

Dirtyhip

Nah, It's pretty durable. I am NOT replacing that brand new full face already. It isn't cracked or anything. Full face helmets can take much more abuse than our usual foam bucket helmets.

why risk it?

It's just a couple hundred bucks.i think your brain is worth at least that much.

I think all helmets are pretty much only a one crash deal.

I liked my red downhill Judy, it was long-travel for its day, styly, and worked as advertised.  It was better than the Manitou III it replaced.

Never owned one of their dual crown forks, but heard good things. The Judy and others I had were crap.

Loved my Lefty and Fox forks.

The Judy and others I had were crap.

Loved my Lefty and Fox forks.

Huh.  Maybe you couldn't ride with the finesse and sheer grace that I did.   :whistle:

Never ridden the lefty or the Fox, always heard good things about the Fox.  My first "suspension" was a Softride stem (2, actually), then the Manitou, and I also had an ok Marzocchi and a Lawwill Leader 2 or 3 (I can't remember now) that I loved on other bikes.

Huh.  Maybe you couldn't ride with the finesse and sheer grace that I did.   :whistle:

Never ridden the lefty or the Fox, always heard good things about the Fox.  My first "suspension" was a Softride stem (2, actually), then the Manitou, and I also had an ok Marzocchi and a Lawwill Leader 2 that I loved on other bikes.

Part of managing a fork is making sure that your stanchions are spotless before/after each ride,  Those seals don't like dirt being shoved inside of them.

If it was made by anyone other than Rock Shox, I might not harsh on it as much. Everything of theirs I've ever owned has been complete poo.

I had an RS1, and it was the best fork made at the time(it was the only one made).

My RS Reba was good, but always leaked air.

Fox is the only fork or shock I would buy, if I were stupid enough to buy a mountain bike.

I might consider a trail bike this spring.  Not a mountain bike, I don't think I have the skills / strength for that.  It sounds like there are a lot of trails around me.

I enjoy your tales of riding DH, don't let stupid comments put you off from sharing here.  People like you encourage people like me to try new things.

I might consider a trail bike this spring.  Not a mountain bike, I don't think I have the skills / strength for that.  It sounds like there are a lot of trails around me.

I enjoy your tales of riding DH, don't let stupid comments put you off from sharing here.  People like you encourage people like me to try new things.

I am excited about this new year.  I would like to hit 4000 miles in 2015.  Which would be a good goal, considering how many miles I do on dirt.  

This years focus will again be climbing, and some added focus on the most technical trail I can find to train on.  First race should be in June.

I might consider a trail bike this spring.  Not a mountain bike, I don't think I have the skills / strength for that. 

Not with that attitude, Sally.

Nobody in this world had the skills / strength for that when they first go out.  Actually, I figure most people have the strength they need, just not the skills.  You develop the skills, and they aren't hard unless you go for technical riding, lots of mountain bike trails out there for you to try.  

It is very fun, you should do it just for the variety.

I know it sounds silly, but some of the logistics don't make sense.

How do I transport the bike?  It doesn't look like they fit on a "regular" bike rack.  I have one like this:

pDSP1-12390597p275w.jpg

Also, I don't have a beater car or a truck.  The current car has suede seats.  If I am riding in dirt, how do I get home if I am dirty?

These are some of the things stopping me from trying it.

How do I transport the bike?  It doesn't look like they fit on a "regular" bike rack.  I have one like this:

pDSP1-12390597p275w.jpg

Also, I don't have a beater car or a truck.  The current car has suede seats.  If I am riding in dirt, how do I get home if I am dirty?

Most MTB people bring a change of clothes for the ride home. You can also stash some baby wipes or a bottle of water to clean off. <check>

With your rack, it really depends on the bike.  My stumpy would not fit well on that.  I prefer the fork mount rack or a gutter style that allows the wheel to stay on.  Note:  a quick way to make a cheap rack is to screw the fork mount to a 2x6.  Just toss the 2 x 6 in your rig  (This is not an option for a standard car though) 

I have a Camry Hybrid, it has almost no trunk at all.

Another thing, how do I learn about all the "stuff" I need?  Do I need cool mountain biker clothes?  I have mountain bike shoes / clips, do I need cool ones?  Do you just wear a more sturdy kit, or do I need protective equipment - like a football player?  I assume I don't use my regular road helmet, you avatar has a fighter pilots helmet on.  Do I need goggles, or do I wear regular glasses?  That's important because I wear prescription glasses.

There are so many stupid questions I could ask, it's almost endless.

Fox is the only fork or shock I would buy, if I were stupid enough to buy a mountain bike.

Don't sell the Lefty short. Looks bizarre, but smooth like buttah. I considered putting one on the hardtail I built when I got back into MTB year before last, but opted to go rigid instead:

I have a Camry Hybrid, it has almost no trunk at all.

Another thing, how do I learn about all the "stuff" I need?  Do I need cool mountain biker clothes?  I have mountain bike shoes / clips, do I need cool ones?  Do you just wear a more sturdy kit, or do I need protective equipment - like a football player?  I assume I don't use my regular road helmet, you avatar has a fighter pilots helmet on.  Do I need goggles, or do I wear regular glasses?  That's important because I wear prescription glasses.

There are so many stupid questions I could ask, it's almost endless.

I have a Camry Hybrid, it has almost no trunk at all. -  Install a proper rack on top of that car.  <check>

Another thing, how do I learn about all the "stuff" I need? - You will know in time.  Get on Pink bike.  It's a really good site with video, tips and reviews.  

Do I need cool mountain biker clothes?  - not really.  You already own bike shorts and jerseys.  You may want to invest in a camelback for the long long adventures in the woods.

I have mountain bike shoes / clips, do I need cool ones?  - Only spend what you feel you need to.  I rode my MTB shoes and spds for several years on my road bike.  I didn't care what people thought.

Do you just wear a more sturdy kit, or do I need protective equipment - like a football player? -  I ride in an aggressive manner.  I tend to wear lycra under my MTB shorts that are durable.  I also wear knee pads and elbow pads.  For shuttle days, I am wearin the full face helmet.  If it's a long climbing day, a regular lid is just fine.  I have goggs, just for full face days.  Otherwise, it's just bike glasses.  If you need prescription, you will want that for your goggs or bike glasses..of course

If you aren't going to ski resorts or doing shuttles, I would not bother with a full face.

You can spend as little or as much as you want on this, of course.

That helmet in my avatar is reserved for downhill days.  I have climbed in it, but it's really annoying.

• Heart 1

pDSP1-12390597p275w.jpg

My take is that you use the same helmet, same shorts, same jersey, same gloves, same sunglasses, different bike.  If you are riding mountain clipless pedals and mountain bike shoes now, get another set of pedals for your mountain bike and wear the same shoes.  You drive your car with your rack on it to a bike shop, and tell them your new bike has to be able to fit in that rack, if you are married to it.  Then look at bikes, tell 'em you are scared like a girl and need something nice enough but not too nice, and you need help finding a good trail for beginners.

Trust me, most shops are populated by people that are stoked about riding and would be happy to give you good advice and get you riding on something that works for you, and get you to places that will be just right for your skill level.  Every bike shop dude wants to be the guy (or chick) that gets you hooked on mountain biking.

Change of clothes in the trunk or a towel to sit on or clean up with always worked for me.  A beer in a cooler, along with other cool drinks and fresh fruit is super nice while you reflect on the ride you had in actual nature.  

95% of my epic or most memorable rides have been on the mtb.  You burn about 3 times the calories, too, if you are really going at it.

If you wait for all the lights to turn green before you go someplace, you will never leave the driveway.  Trust me, if you have trails within an hour of you, you really want to do this.

• Heart 3

• 7 years later...
2 minutes ago, denniS said:

I was hoping to buy it from you.

It was a medium.  Slightly too tall for me, but I hate small bikes and feeling scrunched.  I bought a Helga, sold that.  Then I bought a Fuse, sold that. 

Awww, memories.

I was strong in 2015.  This was my "I'm going to rule this year," and I did.  I have the medals to prove it.  :D

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was a medium.  Slightly too tall for me, but I hate small bikes and feeling scrunched.  I bought a Helga, sold that.  Then I bought a Fuse, sold that. 

Awww, memories.

I was strong in 2015.  This was my "I'm going to rule this year," and I did.  I have the medals to prove it.  :D

I just wanted the Bluto. I'd like to put one on my Otso for dirt riding in the summer.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's my commuter bike.  It is rarely ridden.  :whistle:

<kidding here, the thing has like 7000 miles on it>

High mileage commuter, probably in rough shape. 100 bucks. That's a generous offer. 

If you could water and fertilize it so it grows into a size large, that would be great.

• Haha 1