The "I didn't know that!" thread

Ralphie

I didn't know that one of largest electric railways in the country stretched across upstate NY.  In order to get enough power to run all the engines, a company built this dam around 1900 pretty much for the sole purpose of powering that railroad

photo_10050_b.jpg

and constructed power lines for about 100 miles across the state

At least I didn't know any of this stuff until a Ray of Sunshine sent me a CD about it.

Bomb Island on Lake Murray South Carolina each spring and summer is the home of a very unusual event. Each year thousands of Purple Martins return to this island to roost for the summer. The island has been declared a bird sanctuary and it is quite a sight to watch these birds return to Bomb Island each day around sunset.

On 23 April 2010, Peter Frampton became the all-time celebrity champion of the trivia game called No Apparent Reason, with five correctly answered questions on the nationally syndicated Mark and Brian Radio Program originating from KLOS Los Angeles. However, on 5 May 2010, Frampton was reduced to second place after only two short weeks by Luke Perry's answering six questions correctly.

There are more than 250,000 kilometres of roads in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada. If you were to drive at a steady speed of 90 kilometres an hour, it would take just under 116 days to travel that distance. This does not allow for any fuel stops, meal stops or washroom breaks along the way.

If you had started that journey on Jan. 1, as soon as the new year had begun, you would be driving nonstop until April 26.

....and a couple of rare pieces of railroad history....

Yeah, I admit you got me on that one!  But then again, how many people can claim to be the proud owner of decades-old electric railroad third rail ceramic insulators? :nod head:

A handful of Revolutionary War veterans lived long enough to have daguerreotypes taken:

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/07/03/faces-of-the-american-revolution/#1

I did not know that!  Already added two books to my 'want list' to learn more about them.

There are more than 250,000 kilometres of roads in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada. If you were to drive at a steady speed of 90 kilometres an hour, it would take just under 116 days to travel that distance. This does not allow for any fuel stops, meal stops or washroom breaks along the way.

If you had started that journey on Jan. 1, as soon as the new year had begun, you would be driving nonstop until April 26.

scratch%20head.gif  I question whether this is true!   :scratch head:

Unless there are no dead ends in Saskatchewan then to drive all 250,000 kilometers will undoubtedly require some backtracking.