This got ugly - quickly (apologies, bike related)

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I wanted to attach my BOB trailer to my mountain bike.  Most normal people would buy a special skewer used for that sort of thing.  When I eyed up how the trailer would fit onto such a rear skewer, it seemed the hitch of the trailer would come perilously close to the plastic bits of the rear derailleur.

kluge1_zpse976429c.jpg

Now, normally I don't mind a little peril:

castle_anthrax_660.jpg

but in this case risking a snapped-off derailleur miles from home - or miles from anywhere for that matter - was more peril than I could bear.

So I took a look at the configuration of the rear rack:

kluge2_zpseab8aa91.jpg

Then bought some 1/2" bolts, fender washers, 1/2" nuts including a couple with nylon inserts, and hunted down some 8/32 machine screws and nuts from the TK Basement Warehouse...

kluge3_zps1a44302e.jpg

And assembled them on the lower part of the rack.  The 1/2" bolts fit the hitch on the BOB pretty well.  The machine screws keep the bolts and washers from slipping down off the rack.  I tried to bend the washers to create flanges for the same purpose (to avoid using the machine screws) but the washers were too brittle for the angles needed.

kluge4_zps7f51f1fa.jpg

With both sides assembled and the trailer attached, there's enough clearance from the derailleur to keep me out of peril.

kluge5_zpseeeff645.jpg

Dr. Frankenstein and Rube Goldberg might readily approve, but cycling purists would declare it 'redneck' I'm sure.  I think the rack has enough strength to tow a fully loaded BOB trailer.  I won't know for certain until I try it out, I guess.

• Heart 1

Every engineer on this forum want to kiss you on the lips. Thankfully, I'm not an engineer... ;)

Not everyone has to be an engineer to rig up something, and I do not want to kiss you wither...:)

Nice job at McGivering it! 

• Heart 1