Immaculate Reception

Airehead

you might be thinking of the "Holy Roller".

Holy Roller, that was Stabler "fumbling" the ball forward.  No, that was different. 

I believe, at the time of the Immaculate Reception, the rule was the ball could not be touched by 2 offensive players in a row.  Franco Harris caught the deflection.  The ruling was that a Raider had touched the ball after the first Steeler recieiver.  Nobody could ever see that touch on film, thus the Immaculate Reception.  I think the NFL changed that rule the next year, to allow 2 offensive players to touch the ball.

Holy Roller, that was Stabler "fumbling" the ball forward. No, that was different.

I believe, at the time of the Immaculate Reception, the rule was the ball could not be touched by 2 offensive players in a row. Franco Harris caught the deflection. The ruling was that a Raider had touched the ball after the first Steeler recieiver. Nobody could ever see that touch on film, thus the Immaculate Reception. I think the NFL changed that rule the next year, to allow 2 offensive players to touch the ball.

i think you are correct about the rule change, but I'm too young to remember the rules before that catch.

The Holy Roller play is well known for the rule change it caused.