the house next door sold

AirwickWithCheese

:(

Harley and Bailey's old stomping grounds. Nice guy, let's call him Joe. Older chap with his wife.

I really liked them but he's already talking about changing his driveway to my side of the house. :mad:

That's the Carolina wren side of the house with bunny wabbits. Legally I could probably stop him but I wanted to get off to a cordial start to our neighborship.

Plus that's the side where he has a koi pond and some crepe myrtles that line our border but are 75% on my side.

I may end up having to kill him and dispose of his body. I really don't mind so much but a proper no traceable offing can be time consuming. :(

:(

I really liked them but he's already talking about changing his driveway to my side of the house. :mad:

Check into your local zoning laws and building codes.  Some stipulate how close driveways can be to the property line, what permits may be required for construction, how much green space a property has to have (which a driveway will reduce), how driveways have to be constructed, if a zoning or planning board has to review the change or even if a zoning variance is needed for what he wants to do.

If you find anything that would prohibit the driveway or if permits or applications are needed, I would suggest you print out what you found.  Take it over to your neighbor and say something along the lines like "I know you're new to the neighborhood, and perhaps you didn't know about <......> as it relates to moving your driveway.  I wouldn't want to see you start the project and then have the town/city/village come down on you just because you're new here."

He'll see you as being a helpful neighbor, and if there's work involved he may very well drop it because of the costs and hassle of dealing with bureaucrats like Permit Lady and her ilk.

You might still get what you want and start off keeping a good relationship with your new neighbor as well.

TK, normally I would agree with you but I had a bad experience once in trying to take the high road.

So, I'm going to turn this over to Kathryn. She is the wealthiest, most connected neighbor. You can't paint your mailbox without Kathryn's permission on this street. :)

The idea of a driveway on my bedroom side ruined my day.

I'm not talking about taking the high road, really.  I'm suggesting you take advantage of your new neighbor's ignorance and browbeat him by citing local law (or at least imply you're citing it) and getting him to think it's his idea not to move the driveway in a way that he never connects the dots about what you're actually trying to do.

It's actually sneaky, mean and low, so I won't take credit for suggesting you take the high road.  So working through Katheryn is probably the best route so you can get through this with clean hands and a clear conscience.