7-up the documentary

kingtermite

Chris mentioned this sometime back. I made a mental note and added them to my Netflix queue.

It follows about a dozen kids at 7 years old in the first one. They come back every seven years to follow up with them. I don't know why it's so interesting, but it is. I've just finished 49-up. 56 is the last one (2012).

It's just really interesting to see people sort of grow up before your eyes. Not like a movie, but for real. To see their looks change, their lives change (kids, marriage, divorce, etc...), their ideals/perspectives change, etc....

It's quite the social experiment.

Anybody watch or even hear of the 7-up series?

Yeah, it was on cable TV here recently.  I surfed onto it near the end of the episode and got the idea of what was going on but didn't get to see the whole thing.  If it comes on again, I will try to watch it all.

It's pretty long. On average about 2 hours each episode (7,14,21,28,35,42,49,56).

Yeah....they spend too much time showing clips from previous ones.

A lot of shows on the history channel do this. :rolleyes:  They cut away for commercials, and when the show resumes they repeat the last 2-3 minutes of the show before the break.  As if people forgot what happened during the commercials.  It's only an annoying ploy to film less to cut expenses and then repeat what they need to just to fill out the broadcast time slot.

A lot of shows on the history channel do this. :rolleyes:  They cut away for commercials, and when the show resumes they repeat the last 2-3 minutes of the show before the break.  As if people forgot what happened during the commercials.  It's only an annoying ploy to film less to cut expenses and then repeat what they need to just to fill out the broadcast time slot.

I HATE that too, but that's not how I mean. They strive to make each version stand on its own, so they replay clips from each kid in previous years before the current segment. Though...it is nice to see the nearly same question back to back at different ages so you see how the person matures and changes over the years.

I HATE that too, but that's not how I mean. They strive to make each version stand on its own, so they replay clips from each kid in previous years before the current segment. Though...it is nice to see the nearly same question back to back at different ages so you see how the person matures and changes over the years.

That sounds good - I'll have to see if I can find it.

The show on Nat Geo that I was watching last night (Alaska State Troopers) spent just a sentence or two in recap after commercials - that was ok.

There is something nice aboot watching wilderness-type stuff from the warmth and comfort of my house and couch. :)