Square Wheels have you ever tried Nautical Wheeling?

jsharr

you have to be one of the better Texican boat handlers I've ever run across, JSharr

generally, the better Texican sailors are from the Gulf coast, but you seem to be very knowledgeable. You don't come across that kind of knowledge without alot of time on the water

you have to be one of the better Texican boat handlers I've ever run across, JSharr

generally, the better Texican sailors are from the Gulf coast, but you seem to be very knowledgeable. You don't come across that kind of knowledge without alot of time on the water

Nate, I have been on or around boats since I was 6.  Our family has owned boats in one form or another most of that time.  Managed a boat rental business for quite a few years and then worked at a boat dealership in a variety of roles.  Started sailing in the mid 80s and spent a fair amount of my 20s and 30s crewing on race boats in the Dallas area and a bit beyond.  I have never done any real blue water work, all inland lake stuff and just a bit of gulf coast bay sailing.   

Have a few friends with their licenses that allow them to handle some bigger stuff, do international deliveries, etc.  Would like to do that once the boys are older, but for now I just pick up a ride on a race boat when I can.

then we've probably sailed some of the same lakes! My roomate in college had a 2 man Sunfish and we'd go out to Lake Lewisville all the time, and after I got back from the Navy, Lake Ray Roberts was open and we sailed there, too.

A friend of ours had a catamaran that his sister would take racing, but Errol and I just took it out for fun. On a cat I have to have someone who knows how to handle the boat, but I'm a good hand. I just follow orders. Fast is the word and sharp is the action

My dad had a 34 foot fishing boat that we would take out in the Gulf of Alaska and go deep sea fishing for halibut when they lived up in Alaska. That boat had twin diesel motors, though, and not sails. One of the longest afternoons I ever spent was when me and dad got caught in a storm at sea in that little boat.

That's why I joined the Navy. I started out as a bosuns mate handling ships lines, painting everything about the water line, and that sort of thing. I realized that being on Navy ships was more like being in prison but with a better chance of drowning, so when they offered me electronics training I took it and ended up in the air wing

one of my favorite things, though, is being out of sight of land at night

the stars out at sea are like nothing else

When I managed the boat rental we had a 56' house boat in the fleet.  We would often stay late to ferry people back and forth to the boat at night.  I loved sitting in the office in the dark looking at the stars and lights on the water at Lake Lavon.

Most of the racing in Dallas is done at Rush Creek on Lake Ray Hubbard or Fort Worth Boat Club on Eagle Mountain.  Other lakes have yacht clubs with racing but those are the two heavy hitters.

The wife and I had a Dolphin Sr, sort of a Sunfish on steroids.  I loved to get on that thing and rip across the lake on plane, blasting past the big keel boats!

I watch the fishing shows about Alaska and wonder if I have or had what it would take to get out in the stuff those guys face.

I really do not enjoy spending long amounts of time on a boat.  I like racing for a few hours and then heading in to have a drink and hang out with buddies.

I have camped on the USS Lexington with our scouts and I am pretty sure I would not want to be onboard a Navy ship for prolonged periods of time.