Trial run

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

No, no, I didn't flee the courtroom before sentencing.  Not that kind of trial run.

I took the BOB trailer out today, fully loaded.  (The trailer, not me!)  Hooked up to my jury-rigged hitch on the mountain bike rack.  It was 15 degrees out, and pretty much stayed there the whole ride. 

I cheated a bit, and put a couple of those chemical warming packs in the tips of my sneakers to ward off cold feet and they worked pretty well.  Including stops to take a few pictures I was out about three hours altogether, total about 22 miles.  The BOB followed along just fine and the rack held up without complaint.

Most of the pictures didn't turn out as well as I liked. :unhappy:   I think I need to learn more about taking winter pictures where the colors are essentially black, gray, and white.  Maybe I need to change my choice of subjects from those I typically photograph in summer... Here's a couple I think turned out ok.

lane_zps277fb8bf.jpg

winterfarm_zpsd51b3bd0.jpg

• Like 3

I neglected to mention in the initial post - One section of the ride I was climbing up a 6% grade, basically dragging myself, the bike, and the trailer along about 4mph and I see something waddling across the road ahead of me.

Black and white.

A skunk!

He kept waddling across the road as if I wasn't there, so I headed to the far side and kept a steady pace - no quick motions.  It got to the shoulder on the opposite side, saw me, and just flattened itself a bit while it watched me.

I thought - for a split second - about stopping to take a picture.  But I figured people here could look up a picture of a skunk if they'd never seen one.  That, and if the thing came at I wouldn't have much of a chance of getting away laboring uphill as I was.

So, no picture of the skunk that crossed my path.  I hope you'll accept my word regarding my close encounter of the aromatic kind.

I neglected to mention in the initial post - One section of the ride I was climbing up a 6% grade, basically dragging myself, the bike, and the trailer along about 4mph and I see something waddling across the road ahead of me.

Black and white.

A skunk!

He kept waddling across the road as if I wasn't there, so I headed to the far side and kept a steady pace - no quick motions.  It got to the shoulder on the opposite side, saw me, and just flattened itself a bit while it watched me.

I thought - for a split second - about stopping to take a picture.  But I figured people here could look up a picture of a skunk if they'd never seen one.  That, and if the thing came at I wouldn't have much of a chance of getting away laboring uphill as I was.

So, no picture of the skunk that crossed my path.  I hope you'll accept my word regarding my close encounter of the aromatic kind.

Oh sure. The one pic I would have LOVED to see...!  Ha! Don't blame you for skipping that opportunity.  ;)