I contend that the Super Bowl is the biggest holiday in America...

Randomguy

...for interested parties.  Yeah, yeah, Thanksgiving and Christmas are attended to a slightly (and just slightly) greater degree than Super Bowl parties.  Btw, by 'attended', I mean show up at somebody's house and shovel some sort of food through your mastication hole, socialize, and actually enjoy the event.  I don't think you can claim that even a majority of the folks at Christmas or Thanksgiving are doing anything other than taking a convenient and socially acceptable opportunity to mingle with family members, fun as that is.  

I don't know what my point is, just that I was thinking about this as I showered just a minute ago.

I used to go to SB parties with other couples.  The women couldn't have cared less and all stayed in a room away from the TV.  Half of the men weren't fans or were disinterested. I'm not sure why anyone decides these parties are a good idea, unless you only invite rabid fans.  

The junk food and half-time seem to be the major attractions.    :(

Our family used to gather in the same room with the TV while the game was on.. we could play cards and try to win the other people cash.. the poker game only took a halt for commercials and the halftime show.. No one care who was winning or losing, it was about making the money.. LOL

I actually am thinking of driving into Ohio for the SB game this year.. I have not played cards with my family in almost 9 years.. I think it would be a nice surprise just to show up and grab a seat! 

I used to go to SB parties with other couples.  The women couldn't have cared less and all stayed in a room away from the TV.  Half of the men weren't fans or were disinterested. I'm not sure why anyone decides these parties are a good idea, unless you only invite rabid fans.  

The junk food and half-time seem to be the major attractions.    :(

I agree.  Same category as NYE.  I'd rather eat bark. :D