I picked up some chicks last night.

Parr8hed

These girls here. 

67736108-40F3-4044-9CC5-EB6B2DD0038F.jpg

The newest addition to our flock.  Golden laced Wyandottes.  In doing chicken math with number of layers I have and number of eggs I eat, the math did not add up.  Now in a few months we should be on track.

I have 5 girls now (not counting the 3 new hens) and for the first time a few days ago I got 4 eggs!

78C915CF-1D8A-47A5-AB40-C280F972ED92.jpg

Yesterday in the nice weather we rehabbed an old chicken coop that someone was not using.  I took some old siding off a barn that was being torn down and recovered the coop.  Then a coat of paint.  Now our girls have a 10X10 doggie fence to hunt worms in.  This is covered with a metal roof.  The new coop is on the outside of the fence, connected to it. 

D8462229-A424-46C8-9EEA-C4DDE9C570F9.jpg

I've seen mobile coops around here that are pretty sweet.

We had a little mobile one (the new girls are in it now) but I worried that it would stand up to predators.  And our doggies liked to try and get in there.  I am much happier having something more substantial. 

We had a little mobile one (the new girls are in it now) but I worried that it would stand up to predators.  And our doggies liked to try and get in there.  I am much happier having something more substantial.

The place where I used to get my eggs had a mobile coop built on a hay wagon frame. Every so often, he'd fence in a new area and move the coop. Pretty neat setup.
  • Heart 1

The place where I used to get my eggs had a mobile coop built on a hay wagon frame. Every so often, he'd fence in a new area and move the coop. Pretty neat setup.

I've seen the same kind of thing around here.  The farmer would move it out into the middle of a field, ride by a couple weeks later and it was in the middle of another field.  Always with chickens walking around it.

I've seen the same kind of thing around here.  The farmer would move it out into the middle of a field, ride by a couple weeks later and it was in the middle of another field.  Always with chickens walking around it.

We did that with ours a lot over the summer.  Moved them around for fresh grass, new bugs.