Super Bowl XLIX thread

Former member

Here's a goo listen...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12204030

It answers a few questions.

My thoughts:

1 - Yes they probably cheated but right now we don't know the facts.

2 - Even if they cheated it did not give them a unfair advantage in the blowout win

3 - If the score was 21-20 we would be having a very different level of conversation

4 - If it is proven that anyone in the organization cheated, the Pats should be punished

5 - If they are punished there should be additional items added to the 25K because of the pervasive environment in that organization

6 - I really don't care because the Steelers aren't involved

7 - But I do care because I like there to be some level of integrity in the game

Here's a goo listen...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12204030

It answers a few questions.

My thoughts:

1 - Yes they probably cheated but right now we don't know the facts.

2 - Even if they cheated it did not give them a unfair advantage in the blowout win

3 - If the score was 21-20 we would be having a very different level of conversation

4 - If it is proven that anyone in the organization cheated, the Pats should be punished

5 - If they are punished there should be additional items added to the 25K because of the pervasive environment in that organization

6 - I really don't care because the Steelers aren't involved

7 - But I do care because I like there to be some level of integrity in the game

I disagree with 5 (+ 6)

Rules are rules and they should be punished if found guilty, but if the set fine is $25k, that's what they should be fined. You can't change the penalty after the rule has been broken.

I disagree with 5 (+ 6)

Rules are rules and they should be punished if found guilty, but if the set fine is $25k, that's what they should be fined. You can't change the penalty after the rule has been broken.

there should be additional penalties for having what appears to be a culture that shows little regard for the rules.

• Heart 1

I disagree with 5 (+ 6)

Sox - The NFL does it all the time,  Just ask any Lions fan (I live amongst them).  Ask Ray Rice.  Ask any player that has been found guilty of more than one NFL crime.  Part of the issue the NFLPA has with the league office is their complete trust in being arbitrary as it relates to piling  on.

Sox - The NFL does it all the time, Just ask any Lions fan (I live amongst them). Ask Ray Rice. Ask any player that has been found guilty of more than one NFL crime. Part of the issue the NFLPA has with the league office is their complete trust in being arbitrary as it relates to piling on.

that would be fine if the Patriots had ever been caught tampering with the ball previously.

When the Pats got caught filming the Jets' sidelines, they had been warned about it previously by the league. It wasn't illegal before the 2007 season.

that would be fine if the Patriots had ever been caught tampering with the ball previously.

When the Pats got caught filming the Jets' sidelines, they had been warned about it previously by the league. It wasn't illegal before the 2007 season.

Truth is we live in a world where they feel the need to punish based on public opinion.  Ray smacked his wife - give him 2 games - the public reacts - ban him.  Suh hits a QB late fine him - Suh pushes a QB to the ground on a legitimate run past the LOS - fine him more - Suh grabs a guy by the hair - fine him more (I am not a Suh apologist, I just wish the NFL had some structure to it).  

In this case, if the public does't react (more) they get 25K and the loss of a 4th rd pick.  If this thing picks up during the media storm that is the Super Bowl, 25k and a 1st rd pick. 

I think a fine and the loss of a first-round pick would be helpful.

I think the starters, head coach, coordinators and owner all need to draw straws and the one with the short straw faces the firing squad.  This will help to encourage stricter adherence to the rules in the future.

so the Pats lose the 32nd pick in the draft. NBD. They make terrible 1st round picks anyway. Try to name a good 1st round pick they've made lately.

I think it would sting to lose what amounts to a second round pick.  Plus, they get to pick 31st this next draft, anyway.  They haven't always had crappy picks, either.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_England_Patriots_first-round_draft_picks

I think most teams would bend the rules when possible, it probably just isn't the Patriots alone.  It is fun to call them the "Deflatriots", though.

It sounds like most teams tamper with the inflation to suit their QB's preference, and the refs just look the other way.

I'm getting that sense - not that it's right or wrong, or will change how the Pats are perceived regardless.

As far as I know, no one thought to inspect the Colts' balls.  <giggle>  That seems like a glaring oversight.

Bill Belichick vows “swift justice” for whoever failed to deflate 12th football

http://www.sportspickle.com/2015/01/bill-belichick-vows-swift-justice-whoever-failed-deflate-12th-football

Ha!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he has “complete confidence” in Belichick.

“This man cheats with integrity, and I won’t let anyone say otherwise,” said the owner. “His attention to duplicitous detail is unparalleled. I don’t know what exactly happened to cause one of our footballs to be legal, but Bill will get to the bottom of it and we will move forward as an organization to better and more comprehensive illegal activities.”

I'm getting that sense - not that it's right or wrong, or will change how the Pats are perceived regardless.

As far as I know, no one thought to inspect the Colts' balls. <giggle> That seems like a glaring oversight.

Aaron Rodgers has admitted to having them overinflated, and Eli Manning has also stated that he has them underinflated.

Why doesn't the NFL have complete control over the balls that are used, like they do with the kicking footballs?

Now there's a Ravens player saying that a kicking ball was underinflated in their game against the Patriots. That ball was under NFL control during the game.

It all sounds like rule all the teams break(and the refs ignore), but now a bunch of losers are looking for excuses for why they suck.

Why doesn't the NFL have complete control over the balls that are used, like they do with the kicking footballs?

That seems like it would be completely logical.

Or, let teams inflate them how they want.  10 psi, 16 psi, whatever.  When the offense is on the field they use a ball the QB and/or team likes.  Except - if a cornerback cuts off a pass and expects a 12psi ball, but it's really 16, does that make it harder to intercept and therefore unfair?

The Pats are an easy target, but before you penalize them, I would like to see some proof that they did something wrong.

It is believed to be a fact that the balls were underinflated, but how did they pass inspection, and then get deflated?

I suppose the proof is that the damn balls are underinflated.  It is kinda simple, really.   :P

the proof would be finding out how they were deflated, and if the NFL actually inspected the balls.

Maybe the refs only checked the 1st ball, and said they were good, without checking them all.

Nah, you are looking for the reason or the method of deflation.  The rule was violated (once the NFL says it was), so on a simple basis, a penalty must be assessed.  If the balls were checked before the game, then they would have been tampered with after that is all.  Still underinflated, though.

This will bring about a procedural change for next year, I predict.

Nah, you are looking for the reason or the method of deflation. The rule was violated (once the NFL says it was), so on a simple basis, a penalty must be assessed. If the balls were checked before the game, then they would have been tampered with after that is all. Still underinflated, though.

This will bring about a procedural change for next year, I predict.

i agree that procedures will change next year.

I've done a lot of research into this story, and it looks like the discrepancy was discovered at halftime.

This whole story reminds me of the George Brett pine tar home run.

The NFL website has even edited the penalty section of this rule on their website.

To me it looks like the refs have looked the other way, but now they are being forced to look into it.

I'm shocked they have let it become an issue.

i agree that procedures will change next year.

I've done a lot of research into this story, and it looks like the discrepancy was discovered at halftime.

This whole story reminds me of the George Brett pine tar home run.

The NFL website has even edited the penalty section of this rule on their website.

To me it looks like the refs have looked the other way, but now they are being forced to look into it.

I'm shocked they have let it become an issue.

Nah, people love to hate.  Hate sells.  NFL wants to vilify New England so that they can get better ratings.  People want to tune in and watch the super great squeaky clean SeaHawks beat the communist, cheating, baby eating Patriots.

• Heart 1

Nah, people love to hate. Hate sells. NFL wants to vilify New England so that they can get better ratings. People want to tune in and watch the super great squeaky clean SeaHawks beat the communist, cheating, baby eating Patriots.

thats my point.

Super squeaky clean Seahawks? They've been caught for PEDs lately more than any other team lately.

thats my point.

Super squeaky clean Seahawks? They've been caught for PEDs lately more than any other team lately.

Hey, let's not let facts get in the way.  This is no different that the picked up flag or the catch not catch, etc.   NFL wants controversy even if they have to create it

• Heart 1

The Seattle sports media is nothing but honks. I kid you not. There are 2 writers that are good (one award winning) -- but the rest of them suck (hard). It's why I check out things from other city's news agencies. For the record, Dallas has perhaps bigger honks than Seattle's -- and that's saying something.

The week began with Patriots quarterback Tom Bradylaughing off the suggestion that the team had deflated footballs used on Sunday against the Colts.  When Brady, who said in 2011 that he likes deflated footballs, meets with the media on Friday, he probably won’t be doing much laughing.

He’ll be reacting to a bunch of questions about the situation, and he may specifically be faced with a pointed question regarding the opinions of Hall of Fame coach John Madden.

“That would have to be driven by the quarterback,” Madden told The Sports Xchange on Wednesday.  “That’s something that wouldn’t be driven by a coach or just the equipment guy.  Nobody, not even the head coach, would do anything to a football unilaterally, such as adjust the amount of pressure in a ball, without the quarterback not knowing.  It would have to be the quarterback’s idea.”

Madden’s position makes a lot of sense.  Quarterbacks are particular about their footballs.  Anybody doing anything to the footballs without the quarterback’s knowledge or consent would be asking for a tongue lashing.  In Brady’s case, his tongue wouldn’t be needed to formulate the various “F” words that would be hurled at he who messes with the quarterback’s primary tool.

“He is the effected,” Madden said.  “He is the only guy.  I heard some of the pundits saying the ball is easier to catch, but that would never, ever, ever be done for that unless the quarterback wanted it.  You wouldn’t do something for a receiver to catch the ball if the quarterback couldn’t throw it.  So it’s going to be done for the quarterback.”

Madden’s compelling, commonsensical take will make the potential conclusion that a ball boy went rogue ring hollow.  The ball boy would be going rogue not only against the rules but also against the wishes of the quarterback.  So if anyone connected to the Patriots was taking air out of the footballs, Madden’s explanation makes it clear that the quarterback either knew about it and did nothing to stop it — or deliberately requested it.