How high is your bike geared? Top speed on flat or trainer.

Longjohn

When I changed the cassette on my road bike to get a lower gear for hills I managed to find one that also gave me more top end.  The cassette I put on had an 11-30.  I've been riding it on the trainer this winter and noticed I can hit 45mph.  Too bad I'm old and my bones break easy.  Downhills could really be fun with this cassette.  I hit some deer on a downhill going maybe 30 mph.  Not something I want to repeat.

When I changed the cassette on my road bike to get a lower gear for hills I managed to find one that also gave me more top end.  The cassette I put on had an 11-30.  I've been riding it on the trainer this winter and noticed I can hit 45mph.  Too bad I'm old and my bones break easy.  Downhills could really be fun with this cassette.  I hit some deer on a downhill going maybe 30 mph.  Not something I want to repeat.

Were the deer ok?

Were the deer ok?

When I came to lying in the middle of the highway the deer were nowhere to be found.  Either they got up and ran away or a local stopped and picked them up to stock his freezer.  They probably ran away. I broke my collar bone and my shoulder blade and messed up my face, stinking deers are evil.

Generally when I am going fast on my bikes I don't take my eyes off the road long enough to check my speed. I guess I need to get a LARGE PRINT bike computer. I have seen 45 on downhills.  On the trainer I'm not worried about crashing and can watch my speed. With my other cassette I couldn't spin fast enough to go beyond 40 mph on a bet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

50/34 on the old Crux with an 11/28 cassette.  My Bianchi was a triple, Like, 52/39/30 (12-25 in the back).  Top speed on the Bianchi was 49.  Far too fast for sanity.

My new MTB will be a 1x11 SRAM XX1.  :blink:  10/42 cassette.  I am gonna rule on that thing!!!  haha

My pump bike is a single speed.  :D 25/12

My fat bike is a 2x10 with 36/22 crank with a 11/36 cassette.  

Edited by Dirtyhip