Bill collectors at the door.

Parsnip Totin Jack

So the Lazy-ass Joe (LAJ) story gets better.  Today I was working in the basement, getting the equipment ready to bottle.  My wife is expecting a friend for quilting lessons.  I hear my wife's voice.  She doesn't sound pleased.  She's yelling upstairs at her brother, LAJ.  I go upstairs to find out what the problem is and it appears that a gentleman was at the door.  Ho works for a collections agency and Huntington Bank sent him to our house to obtain pictures of LAJ's assets.  My wife is upset as she thinks that Huntington Bank is going to file a lien on our house because of her worthless brother.  He took out a loan years ago to buy equipment for a screen repair business (no longer in business).  He still owes about $4k.  He also ignores all his mail that comes to the house,  The mail sits unopened on the dinner table.  For weeks, then months.  Hence the bill collector at the door.  I put shoes on and go out to talk to the guy.  He's taking pictures of out house.  We introduce ourselves and I choose to remain civil.  He said he was told that he was going to a business not a house.  I told him that the only reason LAJ is at my house is because he has no where else to go.  LAJ has no assets, no car, no job.  I can't make him open his mail, that's his job.  Huntington Bank needs to know this, they are not coming after me for LAJ's debt.  If they try, I will get an attorney to protect my interests.  I'm going to kill my in-laws so I can leave Ohio.  But I have to wait for my Porter to age four weeks first.

• Heart 2

There is nothing the Bank can do to you because of someone staying at your house... If they do I would go after the bank for everything they keep on hand for the day in the vaults. 

I would have told the guy at the door to erase all the pictures that he took or removed the camera card for him.. there is nothing that ties you to his debt, therefore there is nothing that they can do to you. I think I would have also drug LAJ out to the curb to talk to the guy while you witnessed it all.

Good luck with the porter, Hope the aging process turns out well for it! 

• Heart 1

He's taking pictures of out house. 

He's doing this because it intimidates most people.  They get worried, not knowing their rights and what they are not responsible for.  Then they say something foolish like "I'll be responsible for his debts." The collection agency is after only one thing - money - and they will bend the rules to get it.

I'd like to suggest you review your state laws about debt collection, if only to know how to protect your family, yourself, and your assets.

I'm with Krazy.  Even though he's your wife's brother, I would have unceremoniously hauled LAJ out to the curb to talk with the bank guy, who would have already been there after I told him I was going to have him arrested for harassing my wife on our property, or something.

I guess there are other factors involved, but in my house, LAJ would not even be a visitor, much less a guest. 

My wife and I have been through this ourselves. We took a relative in, and payed some of her bills trying to get her back on her feet. She moved on after she milked us dry, but she left our address and phone number with all her bill collectors. When I told her to get our name off her contact lists, she told me to just pay her bills, and the calls would stop. :angry: 

So everytime a debt collector would call after that, I gave them her latest cell number, address, employer, etc. The calls stopped after that.

• Heart 2

If there's a next time I'll drag his ass out to hear the music but it was totally unexpected and I was just trying to calm my wife down.  The collector dude was reasonable, I didn't care if he was taking pictures of my house.  I wasn't letting him inside.  I've worked in banking for almost 35 years so I know the collection laws pretty well; Huntington Bank can't touch me or mine.  LAJ is calling his divorce attorney today to see what a bankruptcy filing will cost.  LAJ is trying to get a job but it's hard to find one where they let you stand around and not work.  LAJ and his son also know that when Genette passes away the house goes on the market and they have to find another place to live.  We're out of here.

Underneath the original post was an add for a Chapter 7 means test.  I love how the search engines read all of our posts.

Our eldest son had some problems with not paying his bills and not having a place to live.  He moved back in with us for awhile and changed his address to here.  After he moved back out we were still getting his mail. I just piled it all in a cardboard box until the next time he was here.  Any bill collectors calling our house I always gave them his latest cell phone number.  We told him we have no problem giving his number to anyone who you gave our number to.  We don't want bill collectors bothering us for your bills.