Do you have nice knives?

Randomguy

Yes.  I have Globals.  I built my own set piece by piece.  I have an 8 inch chef, Santoku, paring and a bread knife.  I want a butcher too, but these things take time.  I have a balance on my LBS account that I must clear up, monthly.   :lol:

How much crossover is there between the chefie and the santoku?  Should I just get a set and deal with all the extra pieces I will never use?

How much crossover is there between the chefie and the santoku?  Should I just get a set and deal with all the extra pieces I will never use?

It is very similar.  I probably don't need both.  The santoku seems to be a cross between a butcher and a chef.  K doesn't really like the handles on the Globals.  They are tapered and small.  Works great for my small hands. 

It is very similar.  I probably don't need both.  The santoku seems to be a cross between a butcher and a chef.  K doesn't really like the handles on the Globals.  They are tapered and small.  Works great for my small hands. 

Wow, pricey!  They look like something a German assassin would use.

I love that the handles are metal.  I don't like the handles being separate material.  This makes them more prone to breakdown, IMHO.

Yes, they are expensive.  They should last forever. 

I am German, and I think I would have made a great assassin.  I would have no scruples in luring in my victims.  :lol:

• Heart 1

I have a set of Henckel 5 Star knives. I love that a good quality knife stays sharper longer. You can put a decent edge on some of the cheaper knives, but they usually lose it pretty fast. I've been using the heck out of mine for about 15 years now and they're as nice as the day I bought them.

We store them on the wall on a magnetic strip.  It is nice to not have a knife block on the counter.  I hate clutter.

It's funny but I think a magnetic knife strip looks more cluttered than a block on the counter.  I do like a clear countertop though - I'd rather get the knives in a drawer, as long as they were in something that would keep them from getting dinged up.

I have two decent knives, a shallow chef's knife and a shorter santoku style knife.  Neither is real high-end but if I keep them sharp they work just fine for me.  At some point I'd like to get one good chef's knife with a long, deep blade, but that's really low on the priority list at this point.

We have two sets of knives here at our house... my set that is sharp and wonderful... and then the other set, they are ones everyone else can use. 

I am very picky about my knives! 

You sound like me, I have the old set in one drawer and my nice ones in another drawer. Everyone is afraid to touch the new ones.

It's funny but I think a magnetic knife strip looks more cluttered than a block on the counter.  I do like a clear countertop though - I'd rather get the knives in a drawer, as long as they were in something that would keep them from getting dinged up.

I have two decent knives, a shallow chef's knife and a shorter santoku style knife.  Neither is real high-end but if I keep them sharp they work just fine for me.  At some point I'd like to get one good chef's knife with a long, deep blade, but that's really low on the priority list at this point.

We bought this box at the Container Store and keep it in a drawer; I like clutter-free counters too.

• Heart 2

Can I like this a million times?  I HATE clutter!  (RW loves it)

That said, our drawer with cutlery is damn cluttered.   :(

I would like to put it in a drawer, but we have very few available drawers in the kitchen.  It was our flaw during the remodel.  We didn't consider how much kitchen stuff I had. 

I am tempted to get a highly-reviewed "bang for the buck", knife, this, specifically:  

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-47520-5-2063-20/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1421949191&sr=1-1&keywords=victorinox+knife

I like that knifey box, Old#7!

Cooks Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen) rated that knife as their favorite.  A good choice.  I liked the knife box too, I wasn't shopping for one but bought it when I saw it.

Ain't NYC great!  1 BR dump, 3/4 bath, no storage, no privacy, 850 sq ft = $3,700 / month (utilities not included).

Actually, mine is a 2 1/2 br dump, bathroom that you can't turn around in, one small closet, no other storage, for less than that.  I bet yours isn't as dumpy as mine.

Actually, mine is a 2 1/2 br dump, bathroom that you can't turn around in, one small closet, no other storage, for less than that.  I bet yours isn't as dumpy as mine.

Every dwelling has it's perks and detriments.  I live 30 miles from the city, it can take me 2 hours to get home.  If I lived in the city I could easily commute.  I have over an acre of grass I need to mow, the rest is trees / brush.  I have a big house compared to you, but I need to maintain it, paint it, keep it in good repair.

Every dwelling has it's perks and detriments.  I live 30 miles from the city, it can take me 2 hours to get home.  If I lived in the city I could easily commute.  I have over an acre of grass I need to mow, the rest is trees / brush.  I have a big house compared to you, but I need to maintain it, paint it, keep it in good repair.

Kzoo will mow the yard for you. He does Zacknys too.

• Heart 1

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cutco knives.  You need to buy them from a college student though to pay for one of their semesters of school.  They are a very high quality knife made in New York state by american workers.  They are horribly overpriced but your student gets the major percentage of the cost. If you buy them from their catalog they are the same price but no student benefits.  My wife loves our Cutco knives and our student is now an RN living happily ever after.

• Heart 2

Had a set of Henckels. They were ok for a few years, but not overly impressive.

Tried some Wustof knives a friend had. Better than Henckels, but still not as good as I hoped.

Got convinced to get some Cutco knives from a vendor at the state fair about 1 1/2 years ago. Got a good chef's knife and two serrated knives. I have been most impressed with these. I like the Cutco knives.

Like Jsharr said.....get a couple of good ones that fit your needs and learn to sharpen. Full sets are a kind of a waste.

Had a set of Henckels. They were ok for a few years, but not overly impressive.

Tried some Wustof knives a friend had. Better than Henckels, but still not as good as I hoped.

Got convinced to get some Cutco knives from a vendor at the state fair about 1 1/2 years ago. Got a good chef's knife and two serrated knives. I have been most impressed with these. I like the Cutco knives.

Like Jsharr said.....get a couple of good ones that fit your needs and learn to sharpen. Full sets are a kind of a waste.

Buying from a vendor you missed the fun part of having a college student demonstrate the amazing Cutco knives.  When this student called me to ask if he could come to my house and demonstrate his knives he told me that he was being paid well to do the demonstration and that I was under no obligation to buy. He called at a good time, I needed some quality knives and I had money.  I also liked this kid a lot.  I have known his parents for thirty years.  I expected to buy some knives from him when he came but I didn't expect them to cost so much.  When he told me the price I asked him if he got more than half of that price.  He said he did.  His demonstration was fun.  He asked me to go to the kitchen and get my wife's favorite knife and then he compared it with his Cutco knife.  My  wife's favorite knife was just a cheap butcher knife but she made sure I kept it sharp on a steel. He was impressed with how sharp my cheap knife actually was.  He said usually people bring him a knife that would hardly cut butter. The Cutco scissors are also pretty cool, they demonstrate them by cutting a penny in half with them. There is nothing in the set that we bought that we don't use all the time.

Buying from a vendor you missed the fun part of having a college student demonstrate the amazing Cutco knives.  When this student called me to ask if he could come to my house and demonstrate his knives he told me that he was being paid well to do the demonstration and that I was under no obligation to buy. He called at a good time, I needed some quality knives and I had money.  I also liked this kid a lot.  I have known his parents for thirty years.  I expected to buy some knives from him when he came but I didn't expect them to cost so much.  When he told me the price I asked him if he got more than half of that price.  He said he did.  His demonstration was fun.  He asked me to go to the kitchen and get my wife's favorite knife and then he compared it with his Cutco knife.  My  wife's favorite knife was just a cheap butcher knife but she made sure I kept it sharp on a steel. He was impressed with how sharp my cheap knife actually was.  He said usually people bring him a knife that would hardly cut butter. The Cutco scissors are also pretty cool, they demonstrate them by cutting a penny in half with them. There is nothing in the set that we bought that we don't use all the time.

You posting it here was the only time I've ever heard of college kids making money with them. I've only seen them two times and both were at vendor events.

Also, I don't think they're any more expensive than any other good knives like Henckels or Wustof.

The college student was being paid over twelve dollars an hour to demonstrate the knives plus milage on his car.  I thought that was a pretty nice deal for a summer job for college students.  He told me most people he demonstrated the knives for bought a set.  I think their most inexpensive set was around $400.