At some point I'm going to have to figure out

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

Could be worse...

Information technology folks can some of the most obsessive neat freaks about the cabling or some of the very, very worst slobs.  That picture is horrendous.

What even some of the IT people don't realize is draping the cables like that across the racks in a disorderly fashion severely limits the ability to cool the equipment.  The cooling fans in the equipment are pretty weak to start with, and they struggle to overcome the cables blocking the free airflow.  Their equipment runs hotter, and heat generally equates to early failures and shorter equipment life spans.

• Like 1

Information technology folks can some of the most obsessive neat freaks about the cabling or some of the very, very worst slobs.  That picture is horrendous.

What even some of the IT people don't realize is draping the cables like that across the racks in a disorderly fashion severely limits the ability to cool the equipment.  The cooling fans in the equipment are pretty weak to start with, and they struggle to overcome the cables blocking the free airflow.  Their equipment runs hotter, and heat generally equates to early failures and shorter equipment life spans.

I got dumped into a mess like first pic. When I was done, it looked more like this:

Cat5eCabling-DataCenter1.jpg

I would change out one blue wire with one red wire in there just to drive some type A engineer bat shit crazy.

You're evil.

Do you know what kind of havoc that would create?  Everybody knows that blue is faster than red.  Once it got out that people's data was getting routed over the slower red wire, fist fights would break out in the lunch room and cubicle spaces over who got to use the faster blue wires. 

As I said, evil.  Have you ever thought about a career in Human Resources?

You're evil.

Do you know what kind of havoc that would create?  Everybody knows that blue is faster than red.  Once it got out that people's data was getting routed over the slower red wire, fist fights would break out in the lunch room and cubicle spaces over who got to use the faster blue wires. 

As I said, evil.  Have you ever thought about a career in Human Resources?

See?  I have not even traded out the wire yet and his blood pressure is already rising.

The only thing they would make that nicer work would be labels on each wire at the termination.

Actually, the ones I did were labeled at both ends. The label told where the other end terminated. All of the information was put into a network map I maintained in Visio so you could drill down to each each device and connection at all of our data centers.

Actually, the ones I did were labeled at both ends. The label told where the other end terminated. All of the information was put into a network map I maintained in Visio so you could drill down to each each device and connection at all of our data centers.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to be. And really what I was referring to.

So is this you?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/anal-retentive-chef/17w771yjb

I have this project to work on. The company that I work for bought some used machines and want to get them up and running. There's no wiring schematic.

People should be jailed for wiring equipment that way.  You have my sincere sympathies!

I worked for a company where a manager bought a bunch of used machines for nearly nothing from the company's division in England, and had them shipped to the States.  When they arrived on the loading dock, the electricians discovered all the machines and the motors were wired for the English distribution system of 50Hz and 415 volts.

Our factory was wired for 60Hz and 480 volts.

The company scrapped all the machines, because it was too expensive to change over the controls and motors and too expensive to buy transformers to produce the right voltage at the wrong frequency.

People should be jailed for wiring equipment that way.  You have my sincere sympathies!

There's 4 panels that look like that. I work on the mechanical part but do some electrical at work.
When you see wiring that looks like that you can guess what the rest of the machine looks like.

I worked for a company where a manager bought a bunch of used machines for nearly nothing from the company's division in England, and had them shipped to the States.  When they arrived on the loading dock, the electricians discovered all the machines and the motors were wired for the English distribution system of 50Hz and 415 volts.

Our factory was wired for 60Hz and 480 volts.

The company scrapped all the machines, because it was too expensive to change over the controls and motors and too expensive to buy transformers to produce the right voltage at the wrong frequency.

I am much more a "big picture" person than a detail person.  I would take one look at that and say 50-60?  Hmmmm.  415-480?   hmmmm.  That's pretty damn close.  What's the worst that could happen?  Fire those bad boys up.

Get the big dog and let her eat!