What was your best Halloween costume as a kid?

Mr. Silly

When I was in 5th or 6th grade, me and Greg went as the Invisible Man

It was a 2 person costume. We took fishing line and tied to to either side of a bag and went to houses with bushes by the front door. We knocked on the door and hide in the bushes on either side and when the door opened, we pulled the fishing line to suspend the bag in mid air and then said "Hellooo...I'm the Invisible Man" in a spooky voice

• Heart 2

Two come to mind.

One year (about 10 or 11 years old) I dressed as the Incredible Hulk. I wore a green turtle neck, found some green hair paint, etc.... It came out nice. I remember at one house a lady opened the door and instead of saying "trick or treat", I just grunted loudly. She jumped about 3 feet in the air. :D

But my crowning achievement was my last year trick or treating. I think I was about 13. I borrowed my grandfather's Santa Claus costume and went as Santa Claus. I did Halloween for the fun, because I was never a big candy eater. So that year, between houses I'd find little kids who's eyes got big when they saw "Santa Claus" and I'd go up to them and say "Ho Ho Ho, Happy Haaaalloween" and give them what candy was in my Santa sack.

people really used to get into trick or treating when we were kids

it used to go on for a while, too, like well into the night

now its all so planned and supervised there's like a 30 minute window for trick or treating then that's it

• Heart 1

people really used to get into trick or treating when we were kids

it used to go on for a while, too, like well into the night

now its all so planned and supervised there's like a 30 minute window for trick or treating then that's it

I know, right? It's the same here.

I wouldn't say the window is as short as 30 minutes, but it's definitely much smaller. Something like 630-8pm or so.

When I was in 5th or 6th grade, me and Greg went as the Invisible Man

It was a 2 person costume. We took fishing line and tied to to either side of a bag and went to houses with bushes by the front door. We knocked on the door and hide in the bushes on either side and when the door opened, we pulled the fishing line to suspend the bag in mid air and then said "Hellooo...I'm the Invisible Man" in a spooky voice

What pound test did you use?  Seems like one good size jar of preserves or a decent sized critter would have snapped the line.

What pound test did you use?

it was a long time ago, but probably 10 or 20 pound test. We never even came close to breaking the line, and this was back when a couple enterprising young kids could really haul in some candy

I do remember us working this out after school and trying string and black thread and some other stuff before we got the idea to use fishing line, so it must have been stronger than the other stuff we had

When I was nine or ten my Mom made me a wicked Batman costume. I wore it for more than one halloween and even wore it when I got to meet Adam West (in his Batman costume) when I was 11.

When I told my kids I met Adam West, they asked "How did you meet a cartoon Mayor from Family Guy?" They didn't know he was a real guy.

• Heart 2

Don't remember any, live out in the country and didn't really do trick or treating.

My parents do get a kick out of coming down and walking around the neighborhood with Graham trick or treating since that isn't something we did.