For you people with snow on the ground...

petitepedal

I see you have sabertooth rabbits there too.

Dang wildlife. ;)

I refer to them as "owl chow". I find bunny parts from time to time.

Hard to see, but there's an "island" of trees out in the clover field, just to the right of the sad looking Norway pine. A couple of years ago I was out on the snowshoes and there were squirrel tracks that led from the "island" towards the woods on the right side of the clover field. About halfway between the two, the tracks ended in a duvet in the snow. There was a little blood, a little fur....and wing marks on either side of the hole. Friggin' cool....

Hard to see, but there's an "island" of trees out in the clover field, just to the right of the sad looking Norway pine. A couple of years ago I was out on the snowshoes and there were squirrel tracks that led from the "island" towards the woods on the right side of the clover field. About halfway between the two, the tracks ended in a duvet in the snow. There was a little blood, a little fur....and wing marks on either side of the hole. Friggin' cool....

Sick, but good use of the word of the week. :D

We hear an owl at night in the tree behind our house from time to time. And once in a blue moon we'll find the remains of a rabbit. But we're not sure if it was an owl, red tail, fox or Whiley that got it. I do know that I need to put chicken wire around my bushes and I all but stopped putting christmas lights on my trees. The rabbits were chewing on the electric cords and eating all my burning bush. :angry:

Dang wildlife.  ;)

I saw a hawk swoop down and take a wren from one of my bird feeders yesterday as i as about to leave for work.  I have too many wrens, I'd like the thank Mr. Hawk.  Here is a bird sitting in the bush outside my spa room.  He was telling me the feeder was empty when he saw me in the hot tub.  I filled the feeder and made him happy.

10945387_10152792196167762_1249971263116

It's nice to be able to fill the feeder from my hot tub., Just slide open one of the windows and fill it up.

1795669_10152792196162762_49226355516474

• Heart 2

We hear an owl at night in the tree behind our house from time to time. And once in a blue moon we'll find the remains of a rabbit. But we're not sure if it was an owl, red tail, fox or Whiley that got it. I do know that I need to put chicken wire around my bushes and I all but stopped putting christmas lights on my trees. The rabbits were chewing on the electric cords and eating all my burning bush. :angry:

Dang wildlife.  ;)

Either we have enough "other" stuff for them to eat or the predators are doing a great job, but we never have an issue with rabbits. The only thing they've ever bothered with were my beans and my endive. I've seen them eating willow leaves off the ground and standing up to reach them, so maybe that's their preferred food source.

We have a pair of Great Horned Owls nesting nearby somewhere, every year. We can ear them hooting back and forth. We also have foxes (spooked one out of the front yard last Sunday morning) but I seldom see tracks. We have a healthy coyote population too but I think they prefer the Roadkill Deer Buffet - much easier to catch and fairly abundant.

I saw a hawk swoop down and take a wren from one of my bird feeders yesterday as i as about to leave for work. ]

We had a Cooper's Hawk eyeballing our bird feeder Thursday afternoon. Coincidentally, there were no songbirds around. I watched a Sharp-Shinned take a Junco last year. I thought when the Junco went into the tangled branches of the Norway Pine he was good to go but the Sharpy followed and had Junco for lunch.

Coyotes around here seem to prefer cats.  They must be decended from Alf'  I have lost two outside cats that I had money invested in to coyotes.  Now I just feed the feral cats that have taken up residence in the garage.  I have never taken them to the vet for shots and neutering.  The coyotes keep their numbers in check.

My cat and I found this in the back yard about a week ago. I asked a guy at work, and he says it may either be a Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk.  No idea why it died. No visible injury.  Anyway, my cat thought it was really cool! She really never meows, but she spoke up when I picked up the hawk to put it away. :)

From my snowshoe trip this morning:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

12 - 18", 7 degrees, 20 mph winds.

Do you really like snowshoes?  Have you tried cross country skis?  When I worked at a retreat center where they had a lot of snow my parents bought me a pair of snowshoes thinking I would need them.  They are a lot of work and slow.  I usually just used my cross country skis to get around in the snow.  I still have both but haven't used either for quite awhile.

Do you really like snowshoes?  Have you tried cross country skis?  When I worked at a retreat center where they had a lot of snow my parents bought me a pair of snowshoes thinking I would need them.  They are a lot of work and slow.  I usually just used my cross country skis to get around in the snow.  I still have both but haven't used either for quite awhile.

Hi LJ. Yes, I enjoy the snowshoes. I don't particularly find then to be all that much more work than simply hiking. But I always enjoy the challenge. :-)

Haven't tried cross country skiing yet. That's next on my list. Funny that you mention it here. My hiking buddy told me yesterday while we were out that he had a couple pairs he is planning to give to me and Mrs Z. So tentatively were thinking of going out next weekend to try them out.

Where we hiked yesterday was the Lost Turkey Trail in Blue Knob State Park. The gorge we hiked down into and out of, well, I can't imagine what that's like in a pair of skis!

Hi LJ. Yes, I enjoy the snowshoes. I don't particularly find then to be all that much more work than simply hiking. But I always enjoy the challenge. :-)

Haven't tried cross country skiing yet. That's next on my list. Funny that you mention it here. My hiking buddy told me yesterday while we were out that he had a couple pairs he is planning to give to me and Mrs Z. So tentatively were thinking of going out next weekend to try them out.

Where we hiked yesterday was the Lost Turkey Trail in Blue Knob State Park. The gorge we hiked down into and out of, well, I can't imagine what that's like in a pair of skis!

If you enjoy the feel of sore muscles you never knew you had you will like your first time out on cc skis.  If you want to avoid that feeling go easy the first time out and work up to it. The retreat center I worked at had instructors that taught classes and after sitting in on one of their classes my wife and I had no problems from the first time out.  Our eldest son was an infant at the time and we bundled him up in a snow suit and pulled him behind us on a plastic sled.

I use to love CC skiing...haven't done it in years...after a string of poor snow winters...I ditched the skis....I have been thinking about snowshoes....but heck this winter has been week after week of lung issues.... besides we don't have enough snow here to do much of anything in the way of winter sports.

If you enjoy the feel of sore muscles you never knew you had you will like your first time out on cc skis.  If you want to avoid that feeling go easy the first time out and work up to it. The retreat center I worked at had instructors that taught classes and after sitting in on one of their classes my wife and I had no problems from the first time out.  Our eldest son was an infant at the time and we bundled him up in a snow suit and pulled him behind us on a plastic sled.

Ha! The past two months have literally been about sore muscles! Bring it on! :-D

I'll get some instruction on them prior to hitting the trail.

Very cool, pulling your child behind on the sled!!

I use to love CC skiing...haven't done it in years...after a string of poor snow winters...I ditched the skis....I have been thinking about snowshoes....but heck this winter has been week after week of lung issues.... besides we don't have enough snow here to do much of anything in the way of winter sports.

As far as having enough snow, we really don't have much where I love either. Where we went is 1.5 hours north of me into the mountains. I figure if I want to do domething bad enough I'll go where I can.

The past few years we haven't had squat in the way of snow, either, I tried skiing on the lake, but that seldom works too well. At best, I've had to drive an hour north to my camp and ski there - but even that has gotten to be hit-or-miss. Year before last, I was able to pull in the driveway in January....which is just WRONG. (Normally there's about a 5' snowbank).

Hence the fatbike, which is working out just as I'd hoped.

Why does the posting of the picture turn it sideways?

I find at times if I've rotated the camera to take the original picture, the picture posts that way even if I've edited it.  :scratch head:  Sometimes I have to open the picture in something like Windows Live Photo Gallery, rotate it 90 degrees and rotate it back for the editing to 'stick'. 

I find at times if I've rotated the camera to take the original picture, the picture posts that way even if I've edited it.  :scratch head:  Sometimes I have to open the picture in something like Windows Live Photo Gallery, rotate it 90 degrees and rotate it back for the editing to 'stick'.

Interesting. Hmmmmmm.