DH! I rode a fat bike!!

smudge

Yup..... I don't even know *why* I like mine so damned much, but I do. The grip is just insane. I've ridden (short) steep muddy slopes where I kept expecting to spin out....and I didnt.

I've been riding on the lake a bit and going from deep, wind-packed snow to windblown loose stuff to bare ice. Even without dropping air pressure in the tires and no studs, I have no problem with the icy sections. Some of the deep stuff stalls me out, but even then, the low speed handling is such that I can shift my ass back to put weight over the back tire and lighten the front....and sometimes I can recover from the stall.

Spooky that you say the Fatboy is green......because I had a nightmare the other night that someone had stolen my fatbike - but it was green, not white.... <cue Rod Serling>

My LBS is doing rentals, too. Forgot to ask him how they're doing,

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to choose ONE of my six bikes....it would be the Mukluk.

See? That's the sort of stuff I need to learn if I'm gonna get this bike. 

The army green Fatboy is funny because DH has one. Her's is pretty tricked out, and this one is bone stock. 

My gun-to-my head will always be the Roubaix.   :blush:

. My gun-to-my head will always be the Roubaix.   :blush:

....until I bought the Muk, my S-Works Roubaix held the title,.. Don't get me wrong, it would take a large caliber weapon to make me make a choice.

The lake seems like lame terrain, but shifting from one surface to another in rapid succession can demand focus!

Snazzy green!

I'm new to this fat bike thing, so tell me: are 4.5" tires pretty huge, or is that fairly normal? I sounded like a 4 wheel drive pick-up with trail lugged tires! Not gonna lie, it was cool. And the bouncing over the chunky icy stuff was fun too! The other bike had 3" tires. I think I got the better deal.

• Like 1

It's cool the way LBS owners let us ride bikes around.  My LBS owner would always ask me if I want to try a bike out and he would turn me loose on it.  My problem is he never has my size.  I try out a smaller version and have to imagine what a similar bike that fits would be like. When I bought my 520 I just told him what I wanted and had him order it in.  I had never ridden a 520,  I've yet to ride a fat bike, it's hard to imagine what the draw is on a bike with big heavy tires.  Maybe someone will let me ride one and I'll find out for myself.

it's hard to imagine what the draw is on a bike with big heavy tires. .

They're kind of deceptive - they're not as heavy as they look and don't have the rolling resistance you think they do. Sure it's a good bit chunkier than my "regular" 29'er and yeah, the El Mariachi rolls a good bit faster, but the Mukluk is kind of an eye-opener. I expected "heavy", "slow" and "weird" and it really wasn't. I love my SS 29'er, but had I bought the fatbike first, I may not have built the EM.

I love that the bike is army green.  Just curious...what pressure were you runnin?  That thing is really grippy with lower pressure.  I am super stoked for you if you end up getting that bike.  They are so fun.  They are slower and rather piggish, but it isn't about speed on one of these babies.  Mine has been a great commuter bike.  It opens up so much more terrain than the seek.  

Oh, and that guy offering you tissues... that made me laugh.  Those boys can be so cocky and rude.  HAHA

What size is that bike? A small?  Mine is a medium. Since I put the Bluto on it, I lost some stand over.  Meh, I don't ride with my feet on the ground.  Haven't gotten the crack smack yet.  Pending ...    :whistle:

Your snow makes me jealous.  What the hell is going on out here?  As we drove over the mountain, it was just patches here and there.  LAME!!

As you get used to that bike, you will see that it can climb the steepest stuff. It will shock you.  Note:  I am doing leg presses a lot more, because I want to get stronger for cycling. The fat bike makes you want it for sure.  

Girl, you 're awesome.We could have matching bikes.  I would love to take a trip to your frozen tundra.  I have a balaclava.Heck, I have two of them.   :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I love that the bike is army green.  Just curious...what pressure were you runnin?  That thing is really grippy with lower pressure.  I am super stoked for you if you end up getting that bike.  They are so fun.  They are slower and rather piggish, but it isn't about speed on one of these babies.  Mine has been a great commuter bike.  It opens up so much more terrain than the seek.  

I have NO idea what tire pressure. Great question tho! I know the bike Greg was riding (a Surly Krampus) was at low pressure; his tires almost looked a little flat when we were on the road. (that from a girl who normally runs 110 psi in her Conti 4000's, so take that with a grain of salt!) I just know the ride was bouncy instead of jarring as I'm used to when crossing railroad tracks.

Ya, slow fer shure! It was ok when we were in the snow, but at one point we were on a road heading toward a bridge. I ride that all the time on my road bikes, but I commented, "Dang! This takes forever to get there on these bikes!"

Oh, and that guy offering you tissues... that made me laugh.  Those boys can be so cocky and rude.  HAHA

OMG, I totally ate that up! I'm always being told to be nice, AND I work with a bunch of women. It was SO much fun to be able to razz and get razzed! At one point he said, you know I'm just kidding, right? I laughed and said it was all good. That was actually super fun.

What size is that bike? A small?  Mine is a medium. Since I put the Bluto on it, I lost some stand over.  Meh, I don't ride with my feet on the ground.  Haven't gotten the crack smack yet.  Pending ...    :whistle:

It's a medium, 17.5?  That's the only thing that worries me about it. I didn't have any standover issues with it, even with all the sudden stops in the snow and the get-offs (or fall-overs!), so that is encouraging. I don't foresee adding a Bluto or any other front suspension at this time, but who knows, right? The LBS guy told me of another lady who has one; I know her fairly well, so I'm gonna give her a call and talk to her about it. I also saw online some people commenting the sizing on that bike is like buying a Vietnamese t-shirt. hee hee. That's actually good news for me. (the size of the bike, NOT the t-shirt!)

Your snow makes me jealous.  What the hell is going on out here?  As we drove over the mountain, it was just patches here and there.  LAME!!

We really don't have much snow this year. But I guess some is better than none.

As you get used to that bike, you will see that it can climb the steepest stuff. It will shock you.  Note:  I am doing leg presses a lot more, because I want to get stronger for cycling. The fat bike makes you want it for sure.  

Ya know, I'm finding as I get older the weight room is just contributing to joint issues. This fatbike thing may be a good thing to do instead of pumping iron nearly every morning. Still get a good workout, but mix up the approach. I have a vertical leg press (super retro like the 70's pictures of Arnold and the gang), but it messes up my low back. I have 200 pounds of plates I just leave on it and start from there. I do squats, deadlifts, etc, but that leg press doesn't get much time.

Pack that bike and balaclava! We still have plenty of good sleddin'/bikin' this winter!  Just make sure I go with you on a "recovery ride" day. No way I'd be much fun for you on a regular day. whew! That thing kicks my ass. Sure is fun tho!

Girl, you 're awesome.We could have matching bikes.  I would love to take a trip to your frozen tundra.  I have a balaclava.Heck, I have two of them.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:

I still think fatbikes are a bit of a fad and way overblown.  Not saying that they wouldn't be fun, or that I would never get one, just that they are kind of stupid expensive for what they are, and what they will probably be is disused and lonely in the possession of most people that buy them, even seeing that they are bought with the best of intentions.

I still think fatbikes are a bit of a fad and way overblown.  Not saying that they wouldn't be fun, or that I would never get one, just that they are kind of stupid expensive for what they are, and what they will probably be is disused and lonely in the possession of most people that buy them, even seeing that they are bought with the best of intentions.

Well, they are meant for people that actually ride their bikes.  They are not meant for pussies.   ;)  :D  :lol:

• Like 2

Well, they are meant for people that actually ride their bikes.  They are not meant for pussies.   ;)  :D  :lol:

Ha!  Almost all people have sense not to go out in the cold, at least after they have done it a few times.  In 3 years, used fatbikes will be a dime a dozen.

Maybe those people don't know how to properly dress for harsh weather.

Maybe.  You have to admit that most people probably won't stick with fat biking, though.  Most people are pussies in lots of ways, and will find reasons (good reasons) for not going out in the cold.

I love, love, love my Roubaix. But living in the Yoop, I really can't ride it in the winter and expect to have fun doing it. (ya, I know there's a guy around here who probably rides every stinkin' day of the year on his road bike, but that's not me)

I was looking at mountain bikes just for a change of pace (and to n+1), but none of them were really interesting me. This fat bike was an absolute HOOT!!  No, I'm not going to go fast on it. BUT... It wasn't any where near as heavy as I thought it would be. It was actually very maneuverable when on hard pack. I'm sure the getting stuck in 2 or 3" of snow and falling over was pretty much the Noob Factor.

I wasn't the least bit cold; in fact I was rather sweaty. I'll admit, I was dressed for taking a walk on a winter's day. But I would really rather have had clothing more cycling related.

I've heard quite a few comments that fat bikes are just a fad. That's fine. It's a fad I think I would like to join. Snow in the winter, sandy woods and beaches in the summer. Yup, that could work for me.

• Like 2

Sooooo....

I called the LBS about the bike. I thought it was a rental bike, but not officially. I think it lists for 2100, and he's thinking about 1700. He did rent it to a guy for a bit, and the LBS owner rode it a bit himself. He said to call back in an hour so he can figure out some real numbers.

Do you think $1700 is about right? I was hoping for a little better since it's last year's bike. I know I'm cutting into DH's commission, but....

I jokingly said here at work that I'm gonna put out a coffee jar with construction paper around it saying, "Lisa's Fatbike Fund."  One of the ladies suggested I should get a bigger container with a bigger hole so people can drop their pop cans in there. (MI has a 10cent deposit)  Hmm, put it out in the waiting room.  Hmmmmmm.....  ;)

Sooooo....

I called the LBS about the bike. I thought it was a rental bike, but not officially. I think it lists for 2100, and he's thinking about 1700. He did rent it to a guy for a bit, and the LBS owner rode it a bit himself. He said to call back in an hour so he can figure out some real numbers.

Do you think $1700 is about right? I was hoping for a little better since it's last year's bike. I know I'm cutting into DH's commission, but....

I jokingly said here at work that I'm gonna put out a coffee jar with construction paper around it saying, "Lisa's Fatbike Fund."  One of the ladies suggested I should get a bigger container with a bigger hole so people can drop their pop cans in there. (MI has a 10cent deposit)  Hmm, put it out in the waiting room.  Hmmmmmm.....  ;)

That sounds about right.  The thing is pristine looking.  See if you can get him down to 1500.  Look for scratches.   :D

I'm stressin' out about that. I feel bad. I hope they gave it a good bath whether I buy it or not. (but I probably will) 

Oh, it will be fine.  Just clean it up and don't stress.  

I feel lucky.  They don't use salt out here.  They gravel the roads with chopped up cinder rocks..  Which creates it's own set of problems.