I'm having trouble concentrating tonight...

UglyBob

... but I refuse to go to bed until I finish chapter 8. This writing stuff is hard. It's all so clear in my head, but it doesn't really like to come out that way through my hands. I don't know what on earth made me think I can go from short article and essay writing to a full length book. Oh well, I've come this far; I'm not stopping now. :frantics:

• Heart 1

Just write. It doesn't have to be polished. It doesn't have to sound the way you want. That part comes later, in the editing stage. At this point, just get the words written.

Yeah, that's generally what I try to do. My biggest problem is my typing skills. My brain gets too far ahead of my hands and things get off track. At that point my dyslexia starts working overtime and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. The constant interruptions of every day life don't really help either...

My brain gets too far ahead of my hands and things get off track.

Keep a digital recording device handy - maybe your computer has a microphone.  When your hands can't keep up, record your thoughts.  After you've recorded them you can replay your thoughts and type them without the competition between the speeding rabbit thoughts and the turtle hands.

have you looked at any of the voice to text type programs like Dragon?

Nope, I'm not that serious about this stuff. Writing is just a hobby. If I was trying to make any money at it, I might invest in the software. I just get a little frustrated some times because of the lack of connection between my brain and my hands. I have the same issue with my guitars... drives me nuts!

Nope, I'm not that serious about this stuff. Writing is just a hobby. If I was trying to make any money at it, I might invest in the software. I just get a little frustrated some times because of the lack of connection between my brain and my hands. I have the same issue with my guitars... drives me nuts!

You might want to consider it anyhow.  It's not that expensive, sell one of your thousand bikes.  :)

http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/Custom/pbPage.resp-dragon-naturallyspeaking-home-13

have you looked at any of the voice to text type programs like Dragon?

I've used Dragon Dictation but it's not the way I want to do any long work. Using Dragon, I have to speak out each punctuation and each new line. When I'm typing or writing by hand, these things happen almost without thinking. 

The other problem with Dragon is homonyms. Try dictating sentences like, "Jim went to the gym" or, "By the way, she wanted to buy two tutus too." Dictation software can get confused.

I've used Dragon Dictation but it's not the way I want to do any long work. Using Dragon, I have to speak out each punctuation and each new line. When I'm typing or writing by hand, these things happen almost without thinking. 

The other problem with Dragon is homonyms. Try dictating sentences like, "Jim went to the gym" or, "By the way, she wanted to buy two tutus too." Dictation software can get confused.

True, and I'm writing a lot of dialogue. The verbal punctuation would drive me nuts. I also have to do a lot of editing to keep the flavor of each character's speech distinct and true to the person talking.  That alone involves a lot of 'poetic license' that drive Word up the wall. I can't imagine what it would do to Dragon...

So are you saying that Dragons are homophobic?