Still think fat bikes are a fad?

Dirtyhip

I just thought the wider tire application was telling.

I think they are marketing to a fad market and they want to attract the "scooter" crowd over to their side.  The wide tires makes it seem more like a motorcycle / scooter than a bicycle to many, esp. those outside of the traditional biking community.

No serious fat tire biker would give that bike a thought once they saw it in person I think.  It is basically the cheap mongoose bike with an electric motor added to it.  Cheap frame, cheap parts, will not last, but many will buy in to the price.

Crazy amount of money raised for what looks to be a piece of junk frame.  Stamped dropout on frame and fork?  I would not want to ride a big box e bike, but at that price point I can see the attraction for many.

The bike shop I worked at sold electric scooters for a while. They were complete shit. I refused to sell them or work on them. Anytime someone brought one in, I referred them to the owner. (It was his brain fart to bring them in).
  • Heart 1

I want one, and still think it's a fad.

Why do I want one?  No clue as really don't have a need other than the very occasional bush whacking to scout new trails which I can do on the bikes I have.  Really it's just a sickness I have, I don't have one hanging in the garage, so I want one.

I think I need professional help, unfortunately I can't manage to get a job at ZIPP since they only ever seem to need mechanical engineers and not electricals.

I want one, and still think it's a fad.

Why do I want one?  No clue as really don't have a need other than the very occasional bush whacking to scout new trails which I can do on the bikes I have.  Really it's just a sickness I have, I don't have one hanging in the garage, so I want one.

I think I need professional help, unfortunately I can't manage to get a job at ZIPP since they only ever seem to need mechanical engineers and not electricals.

Ha!  This is funny, because it is true.  Like I said, I didn't say I would never have one, but nobody doesn't want another bike, all the time.  You sound like you are gonna actually use it, though, Smudge, so it will be you, DH, and maybe FnRoSS as the only people on the planet that are getting use of one they bought.  If I got one, I would probably use it a few times, be all happy that I got a ride in when nobody else does, feel mildly superior because of it, then realize that it is cold and I was pretty dumb to think I would want to be out in cold weather, then let it gather clothing or dust or sadness.

• Heart 2

My list is longer than yours....and there's still no cross bike,no full-squish MTB.....

Well, I DO some cross stuff with my Roubaix and Sirrus just because I'm in the Yoop, and that's the only way to get to some of my destinations. But that's about as far as my cross interest goes.  Full-squish MTB looks SOOO cool and so much fun, but smudge would just end up looking like a bug on a windshield.  :(

But you go ahead and add those to YOUR stable!  :)