Honda may have died on me

goldendesign

My 2004 Honda Accord coup may be out.

I knew I had only a year or two before she gave up the ghost. I have owned her since new. Bought as a leftover in late 2005. 240,000 miles. Only changed the clutch once, two brake jobs, and regular maintenance.

This morning as I got off the expressway the engine light popped up and the car will not rev past 2500 rpms.

I have UTFG and found it is most likely a sensor, about 500 to fix, or at worst the exhaust 2nd port won't open.

I already checked the TPS sensor and found it functional. Really blows. I didn't want a car payment until after I graduated.

Sounds like it is in Limp Home Mode.  Take it to Autozone, have the code pulled and then you will have a better idea.  Tons of Honda forums and techs out there.  Heck you are at a college, probably surrounded by kids who like to work on Hondas cheap.  Post a help needed sign in the student union describing your problem and I bet you have tons of responses.

Yeah I plan on pulling the codes sometime today if I can. My store isn't in a very accessible area of town. I won't get off till after they would all close so I have to sneak out at lunch and try.

If it is reasonable to fix, I will. But to be honest the car isn't worth more than 1500 in working order so I can't see putting more than 500 into it.

If I can limp it till the end next breakdown then all the merry.

You can pull the code yourself.  I don't have the instructions but you can UTG.

My 2006 had 240k and mid December it acted up and the timing chain skipped a tooth on one top half.  Those cylinders then went ahead and eat the valves.  Toast.  I sold it for scrap to a friend that has a shop.  He pulled the engine and tranny and replaced them with rebuilds and has it back on the road.  He plans on giving it to his mother.  He's not about to strip the engine down any further to find the actual cause.

But to be honest the car isn't worth more than 1500 in working order so I can't see putting more than 500 into it.

Even if that $500 only keeps it running for six more months, it'll [probably] still be cheaper than six months of car payments.

My Accord just turned 10,000 miles, after 8 months.... glad to hear all your longevity stories.  I spend a bit of every commute sitting in traffic - I'll be thrilled if my clutch lasts 200K miles.

Yeah did thy e clutch at 200k. The 4 cyl k24 motor.

Lasted well so far even with the abuse I put it through early in its life.

I took it to the same mechanics shop for the last 8 years for oil and other maintenance. They did both brake jobs first at 110k the second at 220k

How bad was the clutch to do?  I've done a lot of different things over the years but I have never once done a clutch.  I am sure that I can do just about anything if I really put my mind to it, but is it really worth it?  Is it a job I should just pay someone to do once the time comes?

Oh hell I paid someone to do the honda. On my old muscle cars and my Chevy truck, super fricken easy. On this honda? Took the shop twords days. The have to disassemble the front end and partially drop the motor through the left wheel well.

Fricken nightmare of a Job.

Pretty much what I thought.  And I have the V6.  The motor certainly takes up more space, can't imagine that it makes that job any easier.