Wild night?

Parr8hed

Looks like we got some nasty weather heading here.  I have the air matress set up and sleeping bags out in the basement.  Now I just need to decide if I am going to bed down there or if I am going to try to wake up and head down there if there is any bad weather.

Don't have a weather radio next to the bed?

Well....

We do, but the damn thing goes off all of the time.  It is so freaking loud it goes off and scared the living sheot out of you.  Then you spend about 15 minutes trying to get your heart rate back under 150 trying to go back to sleep.  It seems like it will go off for even the smallest of summer storms.  I wish there was some way to calibrate it to only go off for storms that will kill your face off, and not those that are little more that a spit of rain and a few thunder clouds. 

I guarantee it will be going off all friggin night and I will get no sleep if I plug it in.

Well....

We do, but the damn thing goes off all of the time. It is so freaking loud it goes off and scared the living sheot out of you. Then you spend about 15 minutes trying to get your heart rate back under 150 trying to go back to sleep. It seems like it will go off for even the smallest of summer storms. I wish there was some way to calibrate it to only go off for storms that will kill your face off, and not those that are little more that a spit of rain and a few thunder clouds.

I guarantee it will be going off all friggin night and I will get no sleep if I plug it in.

So you don't have a new one that's county specific and selectable alerts?

That sucks and you really should get one. My one in the bedroom doesn't go off for watches, only warnings. So I wake up pretty quickly when that goes off. Sucks when its the opposite end of the county though.

Mines a Midland WR-300. If your curious, though they might not make that one anymore.

I'll take a look at that.  Mine is pretty old school.  I think it is pretty much on/off.  I used to get up and turn it on to hear weather, but now everything is so much easier on the interwebs.  It's just collecting dust.  Completely worthless on a night light tonight.  It would never STFU.

My old one hangs in the garage. All of them now have SAME which let's you specify county, have a cheap one downstairs, but I wanted the selectable alerts for the bedroom. It will not let you turn off thunderstorm or tornado warnings, I would turn off thunderstorms if I could, but all other warnings/watches can be turned off. I love it.

• Heart 1

Well....

We do, but the damn thing goes off all of the time.  It is so freaking loud it goes off and scared the living sheot out of you.  Then you spend about 15 minutes trying to get your heart rate back under 150 trying to go back to sleep.  It seems like it will go off for even the smallest of summer storms.  I wish there was some way to calibrate it to only go off for storms that will kill your face off, and not those that are little more that a spit of rain and a few thunder clouds. 

Welcome to the new lawyer-induced conservatism.  The same one that leads to 450 pages of warnings in your 500 page car owners manuel, and leads the road dept. to brine the roads when there is a frost. :ph34r:

Note to self - do NOT move to the midwest!  Unless I want to relive the Wizard of Oz. :mellow:

It gets dicey here.  But we don't often have earthquakes.  We never have hurricaines, or tsunamis.  We do have flooding, especially down by the Ohio river in spring. 

I didn't know there was such a thing as weather radios. Here there are sirens mounted on telepone polls at different locations around the area.  Old school civil defense style. My local tax money at work, I guess. They only sound them for tornadoes and nuclear attacks. They look to be vintage 1960, so they were probably put in for the nuclear attacks, but we use them for tornadoes too.

Thunderstorms we just have to ride out on our own

I didn't know there was such a thing as weather radios. Here there are sirens mounted on telepone polls at different locations around the area.  Old school civil defense style. My local tax money at work, I guess. They only sound them for tornadoes and nuclear attacks. They look to be vintage 1960, so they were probably put in for the nuclear attacks, but we use them for tornadoes too.

We have tornado sirens as well.  Weather radios are quite dope.  A good one will sound an alarm to wake you up if bad weather is on the way.  Some are better than others.

but I have a good house for riding out bad weather. Stone wals a foot thick, no basement, no second floor, my bedroom is basically a tornado shelter

so my situation is different

I lived 15 years in tornado alley, so I can appreciate why it is good to have early warning 

but I have a good house for riding out bad weather. Stone wals a foot thick, no basement, no second floor, my bedroom is basically a tornado shelter

so my situation is different

I lived 15 years in tornado alley, so I can appreciate why it is good to have early warning 

If it were me and the wife I would be ok with taking my chances on seeing if I'd wake up.  Now that I have rugrats i would never forgive myself if something happened to one of them that I could have prevented it.

Now that I have rugrats i would never forgive myself if something happened to one of them that I could have prevented it.

hmm...my dad always let us sleep through tornadoes and hurricanes

you don't think he was trying to get us blown to kingdom come like Dorothy in the Wizrd of Oz do you? :(

I didn't know there was such a thing as weather radios. Here there are sirens mounted on telepone polls at different locations around the area. Old school civil defense style. My local tax money at work, I guess. They only sound them for tornadoes and nuclear attacks. They look to be vintage 1960, so they were probably put in for the nuclear attacks, but we use them for tornadoes too.

I thought you lived out in the country? I honestly didn't know what a tornado siren was until I was in my 20s. Just don't have them in the middle of no where.