So Just For Laughs...Whos Going to Church Today?

Nate

Its All Saints Day today, one of the 6 Holy Days of Obligation for Catholics in America

so I'm going to Mass after work. I could have gone to the vigil Mass last night, and there's a 9am Mass this morning, but I'm going to the 6pm evening Mass for the Holy Day

anybody else going?

Its All Saints Day today, one of the 6 Holy Days of Obligation for Catholics in America

so I'm going to Mass after work. I could have gone to the vigil Mass last night, and there's a 9am Mass this morning, but I'm going to the 6pm evening Mass for the Holy Day

anybody else going?

Yes, I'm sure someone else is going.

Yes, I'm sure someone else is going.

but not yourself?

I hope somebody else is going. If nobody else shows up, I'll have to do the readings, play the organ, carry up the gifts, hold the book for Father...I'll be wore out

Oh, and FTR, I am not. On call today.

if you're working at the hospital, that's different. You have to work when you are scheduled. We're Catholics, not deadbeats

I hope that you are not busy. You being busy means that there are people in some dire straits, so here's to you having nothing to do this evening

Oh, and FTR, I am not.  On call today.  I have to teach a class on brain death to my alma mater in an hour and a half.  Then it looks as if I have a busy day ahead of me with patients that are almost brain dead.  On call Sunday as well. 

So, if someone goes brain dead, is this a time for sorrow or gladness?  Just wondering.   :(  :)

So, if someone goes brain dead, is this a time for sorrow or gladness?  Just wondering.   :(  :)

this actually depends on how you look at life

If you believe that there is more to this life than what we see, and that our soul is immortal, then a person's death, while sad for those of us left here in this world because we'll miss them, it is actually a happy time becuase that person is finally free of suffering and is with God in His Kingdom. you also have the comfort of knowing that death is not the final word, and that you will see that person again in the hereafter

If you don't really get into religion and consider your happiness to be the center of life, then death is nothing but sadness because it is the end

just an observation, but any philosophy will work out as long as you have your health and times are good. Say what you want about religion, but it is a comfort at the hardest moments at the end of your life on this good earth.

this actually depends on how you look at life

Actually, I was just thinking about the care givers and the people with jobs like Parr8 and how the death of one person might mean life or better health for others and how this might create conflicting feelings when a possible donor passes away.

Oh, and FTR, I am not.  On call today.  I have to teach a class on brain death to my alma mater in an hour and a half.  Then it looks as if I have a busy day ahead of me with patients that are almost brain dead.  On call Sunday as well. 

Are you taking Airwick to use as your "dummy"?

I was raised as a Lutheran we don't recognize All Saints Day.  We read the commandment that said, "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me" and respected Gods wishes.

you need to read Pauls letter to the Romans. It is about mankind thinking he can define God on his own terms

for the record, we don't worship saints. Communion with saints and the intercession of saints is not worship. If you had a problem, and you were a friend with St Peter, wouldn't you go and ask him for help? do you think he is less able to help you now that he is with God?

A saint is simply someone who is in heaven, so this day is for all the saints in the Church. The ones we formally have recognized and all the others that are in heaven. You see, we were founded by Jesus Christ and people died a martyrs death very often in the early church. Luther came around 15 centuries after the fact.

Actually, I was just thinking about the care givers and the people with jobs like Parr8 and how the death of one person might mean life or better health for others and how this might create conflicting feelings when a possible donor passes away.

sorry if that kind of talk bothers you, or you weren't in the mood to talk about that sort of thing

generally speaking, nobody is in a mood to talk about death and dying on a Friday morning

but what I said is true

humanism only holds water while times are good and you have your health

Given the Catholic propensity for throwing children out into the world, I bet many of you are.... :)

we look at it as being partners with God in the creation of life

but if by deadbeats you mean poor people, yes, a large part of the world's poor who are Christian are Catholics

I enjoy civil intelligent discussions of religion.

doesn't happen to often, but so do I

I find that here in America, there is alot of misunderstanding about Catholic dogma

I can understand why people say that it has to be in the Bible before they believe it. I understand that. In the old pioneer days, you would have preachers like a travelling medicine show. hucksters, flim-flam men out preying on good simple folk.

But the Bible wasn't compiled and translated by St Jerome until the 4th century, so we were celebrating Mass for hundreds of years, longer than America has been around, before the Bible was even put together. That's why there are traditions in the Catholic Church that go back to the apostles, but weren't written in the Gospels.

that's just one example of misunderstanding between protestants and Catholics

anybody else going?

Happy Samhain!

Blessed be.

All I am going to say is that there is one way into Heaven and that is through faith in Jesus Christ and your Lord and Savior  Ephesian 2:8-9.  

But a natural response to God's grace is to obey His great commandment and to love our brother as ourselves and to do the work that God created for us in advance

Matthew 22:36-40 and James 2:14-26

Faith alone saves, but faith without works is empty.

Church is not about what we do on Sunday or Holy days, it is about what we do all the other days.

• Heart 2

All I am going to say is that there is one way into Heaven and that is through faith in Jesus Christ and your Lord and Savior Ephesian 2:8-9.

But a natural response to God's grace is to obey His great commandment and to love our brother as ourselves and to do the work that God created for us in advance

Matthew 22:36-40 and James 2:14-26

Faith alone saves, but faith without works is empty.

Church is not about what we do on Sunday or Holy days, it is about what we do all the other days.

I agree with all of that

I don't know if you are Catholic, too, but if you aren't I think that we agree on much more that is important than we disagree on

and if you are also Catholic, then we certainly are in communion with each other

• Heart 1

I agree with all of that

I don't know if you are Catholic, too, but if you aren't I think that we agree on much more that is important than we disagree on

and if you are also Catholic, then we certainly are in communion with each other

My family attends a non denominational church in Dallas.  www.watermark.org.   I was raised Methodist.  I would consider myself a somewhat evangelical Christian.  

No I will not be going to church, I was sort of raised Anglican, but really don't follow any organized religion.  

you have your health and life is good?

you know, I didn't wise up and start loving God back until I got run over by an RV and got a second chance at this life

not to get too preachy, but if God loves you, which He does, then how should you respond to that?

none of this is very popular in today's culture...imagine folks being reminded that there is more to life than what we want to buy next! :o

• Heart 1

My family attends a non denominational church in Dallas.  www.watermark.org.   I was raised Methodist.  I would consider myself a somewhat evangelical Christian.  

what I like about being Catholic is that I can go literally anywhere in the world and the local parish Church will worship in the same way as my parish back home. They will even be reading the same readings on that day all throughout the world. I've even been to Masses in other languages and I can follow right along

So many see religion as a strict set of rules to follow.  I find religion to be very freeing as I do not have to be in control and worry about how others may view me.  Doing that for 40 years just about ruined me, almost cost me my wife and kids and so much more.   I finally understood how freeing it is to admit that I am weak and need help and have a God that I can trust and place my faith in, a God who loved me before I loved Him and a God who knows no condemnation.  His gift of grace is free to all who place their trust in him.  When I view myself the way the Bible tells me that God views me through the blood of Christ, then I am a better person, husband, father, friend.  

• Heart 1

what I like about being Catholic is that I can go literally anywhere in the world and the local parish Church will worship in the same way as my parish back home. They will even be reading the same readings on that day all throughout the world. I've even been to Masses in other languages and I can follow right along

I have visited Catholic churches on occasion and did not know that they all followed a similar schedule.  Do your priests write their own sermons, or are those too consistent world wide?

I have visited Catholic churches on occasion and did not know that they all followed a similar schedule.  Do your priests write their own sermons, or are those too consistent world wide?

they give a specific kind of sermon called a "homily"

a sermon can be about anyting, but a homily has to be about the readings for that day

so each priest may say it differently, or highlight different acpects of the readings, but they are all speaking on the same basic subject

Vatican II put our Sunday readings on a 3 year cycle. We read from Matthew one year, Mark the next, and then Luke

we read from John throughout the year.

the first 2 Sunday readings will always be taken from the Old Testement and then from a part of the New Testement that is not the Gospel. Then the third reading that day is the Gospel reading. There is always connections theolgically between the readings every day

The daily Mass readings are on a 2 year cycle and include just one non Gospel reading and then the Gospel for that day

Its a pretty good system, really

you have your health and life is good?

you know, I didn't wise up and start loving God back until I got run over by an RV and got a second chance at this life

not to get too preachy, but if God loves you, which He does, then how should you respond to that?

none of this is very popular in today's culture...imagine folks being reminded that there is more to life than what we want to buy next! :o

Odd that he picked you over some kid I read about yesterday who in a complete accident, got electrocuted by a downed power line..weather related of course. I bet that kid loves God, a lot!

You know, there's actual value in the things people acquire, whether you approve of it or not. Buying nice stuff is no different than a colorful bird that wants to have the shiniest/most colorful display possible to attract a mate. It serves the same purpose ultimately, and you'll find no individual in whom you could say its otherwise.

I bet that kid loves God, a lot!

you are looking at life as only a man

what if this life is a temporary exile from heaven? What if a quick death saved the boy from an agonizing death draw out over years?

you don't know and niether do I

but bad things happen to good people, too

we aren't selling fire insurance, you know

What if you just die and that's it? What if that kid, so loved by his parents most likely, was ordinarily destined to have lived until he was in his 90's and had 15 great grandchildren? You don't know that either. Nice of you that you think the worst as an excuse.

It's cute that you and the other guy are so back slappin happy about how good God has been to you, but I'd love for you to verbally tell some kid who is already living some long agonizing illness and who will indeed die a shortened life that God loves him even though he's decided to let YOU live a much longer and happier life. That's rich, I tell ya.

Olas, I cannot speak to individual cases of suffering but the way I understand evil is that when man chose free will, evil entered the world and until God's plan is finished, evil will exist here on earth.

I think this does explains it better than I can

http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-does-god-allow-tragedy-and-suffering/

You may not agree with me or my views, but how much would I have to hate you if I knew you were going to have something horrible happen and I did not tell you about it?  All I can do is tell you about my relationship with my God and let you decide to believe, be indifferent or scoff.  

Olas, I cannot speak to individual cases of suffering but the way I understand evil is that when man chose free will, evil entered the world and until God's plan is finished, evil will exist here on earth.

I think this does explains it better than I can

http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-does-god-allow-tragedy-and-suffering/

You may not agree with me or my views, but how much would I have to hate you if I knew you were going to have something horrible happen and I did not tell you about it?  All I can do is tell you about my relationship with my God and let you decide to believe, be indifferent or scoff.  

There's no such thing as evil. On the flip side of whatever you could describe as such, you'll find a 'good' or rather neutral cause. People are born with or acquire illnesses due to germs or genetic defects or other causes. People get massacred by dictators because there's a 'greater good' usually at the core of their thinking, as typically their favored peoples tend to thrive versus the opposition. Serial killers are typically mentally deficient in some manner that's been proven post-hence and therefore not truly responsible for their actions. Etc, etc. Innocent people get killed in accidents or whatever because of weather or some unintentional manufacturing defect. You'd be hard pressed to find for me anything 'evil' as you define it. It's just a concept that the Bible ran with and weak minded tend to accept because they won't bother to think it through. Why do these things happen? We don't know (the article should have left it to those three words), but there doesn't have to be a reason behind it either. This is the failing of that entire article and your thinking. At any rate, a man looking to another man (the bible, other's interpretations of it) gets the answer it deserves, which is simple nonsense. Have you, btw, really thought about why these things happen without looking to somebody else for an explanation? Spend some time on that, why don't you?

I loved this part

"So, first, it helps me to remember, as I ponder the mystery of pain and evil, that God did not create them. The second point of light is this: Though suffering isn’t good, God can use it to accomplish good. "

I bet Stalin could enjoy that line....

but I'd love for you to verbally tell some kid who is already living some long agonizing illness and who will indeed die a shortened life that God loves him even though he's decided to let YOU live a much longer and happier life. That's rich, I tell ya.

you mean like my cousin Jeffrey who died as a teenager jsut after Christmas last eyar from lukemia?

Olas, if you ahve problems with religion, don't take them out on me

Life is too short to worry about convincing people who are so full of angst

you live by dying to yourself. He who seeks to save his life will lose it. That's what He said when He was here

If you don't understand that, then I can't help you

• Heart 1

it's just that this has been a pretty friendly place overall, and I felt this was getting a little tense.

it is getting tense

Olas used to do the same thing at the LF

thats' why I'm not really worried about what he says. Yes, it is tense, and no there's no reason to be that beligerant

but some people just hate Christians

they always have