How has AI helped you?

Square Wheels

Behind the scenes, I'm guessing AI (of the lesser variety) is doing all sorts of helpful stuff - like helping Google with searches and Microsoft with grammar or Siri with voice recognition.

I haven't used it "explicitly" but the services I use are definitely turning to advanced computer processing to make things "better".

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Behind the scenes, I'm guessing AI (of the lesser variety) is doing all sorts of helpful stuff - like helping Google with searches and Microsoft with grammar or Siri with voice recognition.

I haven't used it "explicitly" but the services I use are definitely turning to advanced computer processing to make things "better".

To me, that's the best possible use without robbing me of analytical thinking, reading difficult texts and figuring out my conclusions/interpretations.  Then writing about what I thought.  It's hard work..but then our understanding of the world on especially tough stuff, advances.  Above all, for us to think creatively and then write it down.  It can be a report or a poem.  Both are just as equally good, original content.

It is good that there are grammar and spelling checks.

24 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Am I the only one who hasn't experimented with AI at all?

I haven't yet and the  AI feature button is in my blogging software. I personally don't need to have a dialogue with AI to think of new ideas/paragraphs for my blog posts.  Pfffftt

My blog..will continue to be my creation. Am so glad I started blog up 14 yrs. ago... before AI encroachment.

People who know me well, face-to-face for years,  know that I have lifelong Muse which I love to wordsmith articles, make art, etc.  They know that I am writing original content.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Am I the only one who hasn't experimented with AI at all?

We had a pipe break in our new house, which caused a lot of water damage.  The builder said it was something that happens.  It was related to it freezing.

I used Google Bard to write him a letter.  It was polite.  

He texted me to apologize for what happened and immediately sent me a check.

• Awesome 1

The biggest impact AI has had is in voice recognition. Instead of "Press 1..., Press 2...  I'm getting more of "Speak the word or phrase that describes why you're calling?" "Wrong bill." "I didn't get that. Can you rephrase it." "Bill problem." "OK. Your bill. I'll transfer you so you can hear the amount of your bill."

Hang up. Recall. "Speak the word or phrase that describes why you're calling?" "Dispute bill." "I didn't get that. Can you rephrase it." "Bill question." "I;m sorry. I didn't get that. Let me transfer you to an operator."

Pressing "0" doesn't seem to work around all that anymore.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Don’t answer phone calls you don’t recognize. Crooks are recording your voice and then using AI to rob you blind.

Wow.. I never thought about that.  :facepalm:

Then again...  for years now,  if I get a call, and the number doesn't match one of my contacts,  I  let it go to voice mail.  If they don't leave it message,  the number gets blocked. 

WoBG asked 'What if the call was important,  how will they contact you?'   If it was important,  they would leave a message. Now they can write a letter.

I suppose I need to listen to my VM message announcement to be sure it's not my voice.  I can't remember...  I set up the VM in 2016.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

We have an AI software through work called “Enzo”. We can always tell when the muckity mucks are promoting it because our entire network slows down. I used it a couple times.  Wasn’t that impressed. My manager says he is using it more and it’s better than it was.  I have a feeling I will want it a little more as my new position develops. 

14 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It might not be in 2-4 yrs. 

In what sense?  An AI is going to start calling folks who know you and - using your voice - somehow drain your accounts?  When I talk to a bank or a hospital or any other business, they have NO IDEA what I actually sound like. How does AI-generated "Tom" work better than Dottles just pretending to be me over the phone?

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

In what sense?  An AI is going to start calling folks who know you and - using your voice - somehow drain your accounts?  When I talk to a bank or a hospital or any other business, they have NO IDEA what I actually sound like. How does AI-generated "Tom" work better than Dottles just pretending to be me over the phone?

Some of the banks use voice recognition, but then person has to give more info.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Some of the banks use voice recognition, but then person has to give more info.

"Voice recognition" but not "voice verification".  Siri or Alexa might understand me when I say, "Play disco music", but they aren't checking with Apple or Amazon to make sure I am ALLOWED to order them around.  ANY person speaking a language they can recognize is "authorized".

I don't get the "rob you blind" nonsense Dottles is spewing.

• Thank You 1

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Voice recognition" but not "voice verification".  Siri or Alexa might understand me when I say, "Play disco music", but they aren't checking with Apple or Amazon to make sure I am ALLOWED to order them around.  ANY person speaking a language they can recognize is "authorized".

I don't get the "rob you blind" nonsense Dottles is spewing.

We await for Dottles' story.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Will watch.

Dottles, I'm actually glad to have retired..just last yr. When I heard excitement among some employees about Copilot to be embedded into MS Office as an add-on.

I continue to learn software (well, blogware has new features to try) and welcome with tech change in past 40 yrs.....but true AI, I have concerns like this stuff where AI even at simpler level, is thrown out to the rest of the world to use.

Sheeeot! I am sickened.

So....just makes sure you don't have speaking to ChatGPT and any other voice-activated device... @Dottleshead  I never have.

I actually find a bit silly... I can/ go searching on the Internet  for certain sources of info.  I don't need AI prompts in the open Internet, to generated ideas for my own creative thinking/problem-solving.

51 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

This is a must watch IMO.

PT Barnum for sure.  One of my wife's older friends fell prey to the more "classic" version from the past decade or two where a friend does the same thing via e-mail (not a phone call).  "I'm stuck here in Italy and my passport and wallet were stolen. Can you help me so I can pay for my hotel and get a flight home" sort of thing.  

Yeah, scams can work, but man is that a huge stretch.

@Dottleshead  Sent those links to some siblings, who also have children.  It's something for more people to be alert.

Last fall at work, a work colleague who I worked with daily in our team told me of this incident:

***A woman phoned her and said her daughter was in trouble. Then a guy got onto same phone and said he was a police officer and they needed money to get her out of jail.  

Colleague was concerned. She got their number, hung up and phoned her 15 yr. daughter who was at school.  Daughter was fine.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

PT Barnum for sure.  One of my wife's older friends fell prey to the more "classic" version from the past decade or two where a friend does the same thing via e-mail (not a phone call).  "I'm stuck here in Italy and my passport and wallet were stolen. Can you help me so I can pay for my hotel and get a flight home" sort of thing.  

Yeah, scams can work, but man is that a huge stretch.

You're not old, not in technology, and don't have a heart.  You're safe.

A photography forum I’m on has an AI section. 
here is a prompt and the photo it created. 

intimate portrait photo, leaning gently on glass, backlit silhouette, subtle eyes, bashful lips, disheveled hair, highly detailed skin with visible pores and reflective texture, vulnerable subject in perfect focus, supine on crisp white sheets, tentative expression in her posture, smooth texture of skin, soft glow on cheeks, dimly lit facial expression, awkward posture, satin sheen of sheets, muted color palette, subject positioned vulnerably against the cityscape, bashful pose, ambient lighting mood, shadow on collarbones, sense of anticipation conveyed, delicate body language, impression of late night, urban skyline setting, cool weather condition, focus on the curvature of her waist, contrast between innocence and experience, harmony of human form and urban geometry

IMG_0494.png

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

@Dottleshead   @Zephyr Within 1 hr. after sent off those 2 video info. links,  I got an email from 85 yr. old friend who said their facility in another city (Airdrie) had recent info. session by the RCMP on scams, ie grandparent appeal, etc. 

@Razors Edge lives in a happy bubble.  As long as nobody effs with his truck and trailer -- and his early retirement -- then he could care-a-less. We are all just pathetic victims.

• Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

You're not old, not in technology, and don't have a heart.  You're safe.

True :D

My way of thinking about it is, "Is this HYPE or is this a new LEVEL of awful?"  I view it as just a mutation from standard cons that have been around for decades, centuries, and perhaps millennia.  IOW, folks get taken advantage of by fraudulent bad actors, and we should definitely be aware that there are an assortment of ways for them to rip folks off, and this AI stuff will be another (not the first, not the only, and not the worst) tool in their tool box. 

Right now, my siblings and I run interference on these things for my mom.  I'd say the #1 "frauds" out there remain, for her, folks like auto repair shops or other services like that.  Brakes squealing? "Ma'am, you're lucky you came to us. That could have been catastrophic and we can get it squared away ASAP...for $1,500." sort of thing.  

When/if she get's pulled into the AI version of that, we'll see, but we've done well - but aren't foolproof - to get her to be a bit less likely to answer unknown calls and definitely ask us before handing out ANY credit card or banking info.  All folks should be following those rules, but also all folks should be looking out for their parents if they can.