Per square foot for utilities

Airehead

I don't know --I pay electricity only.

Water and gas, is blended in my common monthly condo fees. WHich is appropriate because there will be some months a unit is not occupied or people go on vacation for awhile vs. weeks of heavy use. Total use every quarter, probably balances out eventually.

My house is all electric so the bill varies significantly based on the month of the year.  I also pay separately for water and sewer.  I'd guess 30 to 60 cents per square foot based on the season.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My house is all electric so the bill varies significantly based on the month of the year.  I also pay separately for water and sewer.  I'd guess 30 to 60 cents per square foot based on the season.

That's CRAZY high!!!!!  I'd imagine, if you averaged the 12 month total utilities, you come in way less.  At least half your low estimate.

• Heart 1

My first floor is about 1000 square feet including a 120 sq. ft. heated/cooled sun porch.  It's an A-frame mini-Cape Cod house with a heated second floor and full basement that's mostly heated and cooled.  The top two floors are probably equivalent of 1600 sq. ft. with 8' high ceilings.

My gas and electricity for 2023 was $1655.75.  So I guess about $1 per square ft.

• Heart 1

About 3600 square feet.  Natural gas and electric for the last 12 months.      So...  $0.60 per sqft per year.  Or $0.05 per sqft per month.

image.png.51e75fccf4e1565c65a903d8d3bc18fb.png

Maybe 2 bags of water softener salt every month, or two.  

Water is from a well and we are on septic. 

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Estimate on our new school is $4 a square foot. 230,000 square feet

$4 per sqft foot per year?    That's $920K per year.  That seems rather high.  :scratchhead:   

Not sure if this applies.  It's 3 years old, and natural gas appears to be the heat source.   Not sure what fuel you can use for heat.  Are fossil fuels banned?

https://www.costanalysts.com/average-school-electric-bill/

According to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), K-12 schools in America annually spend an average of $0.67 per square foot on electricity and $0.19 per square foot on natural gas. For example, a typical 1,000 student high school requires around 173,730 square feet to accommodate its students. This means that a school of this size might pay around $149,500 for energy depending on its location, consumption practices, and ratio of electricity to natural gas usage.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Seems really high.

Cost per sqft for a home will be considerably less than a school (or commercial building) .

The HVAC probably has mandatory X number of air exchanges per hour.   That's a lot of conditioned (heat or cooled) air being exhausted to the outside.  Hopefully a heat exchanged is being used to reduce the cost of heating and cooling.

The lighting for the building, inside and outside, probably has more than a few requirements too.  Some lights may be on 24X7. 

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I called a guy who knows a guy. 

Hopefully the guy can confirm what the estimated costs will be.

Good luck with this... 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Cost per sqft for a home will be considerably less than a school (or commercial building) .

The HVAC probably has mandatory X number of air exchanges per hour.   That's a lot of conditioned (heat or cooled) air being exhausted to the outside.  Hopefully a heat exchanged is being used to reduce the cost of heating and cooling.

The lighting for the building, inside and outside, probably has more than a few requirements too.  Some lights may be on 24X7. 

Hopefully the guy can confirm what the estimated costs will be.

Good luck with this... 

I am learning so much. The team of brains working on this are excellent. I am really lucky in that way.