When you serve pasta and tomato sauce

Kirby

...but I prepare my spaghetti usually by taking it out of the pasta pot with tongs and drop it in the sauce pan and the mix it all to coat.  I used to pour the pasta into a pasta drainer, then put that in a bowl and pour the sauce over the pasta, but usually, with the pasta on one burner and the sauce on the one next to it, It's easy to just skip a few steps. 

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...but I prepare my spaghetti usually by taking it out of the pasta pot with tongs and drop it in the sauce pan and the mix it all to coat.  I used to pour the pasta into a pasta drainer, then put that in a bowl and pour the sauce over the pasta, but usually, with the pasta on one burner and the sauce on the one next to it, It's easy to just skip a few steps. 

But you generally serve for one or two whereas I’m often cooking for 6 which is why I don’t mix them as not everyone wants it sauced the same. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

But you generally serve for one or two whereas I’m often cooking for 6 which is why I don’t mix them as not everyone wants it sauced the same. 

Oh yeah - just the two of us. And usually my wife is whipping it together.  In any case, easier is better.

If we were hosting some folks, I'm sure we would do it differently.

• Heart 2

42 minutes ago, Kirby said:

do you put the sauce on top or mix it all up so the sauce is thoroughly mixed with the pasta?

You are very close to scratching a sore wound in our household. I mix it all together pasta, sauce and meat, and serve in pot. If it’s spaghetti, it has to be Angel Hair and I break it up into thirds before boiling it.

BuffCarla ruins it in several ways. She refuses to break the long spaghetti strands into manageable bites. She mixes the meat, usually ground beef, but sometimes hot Italian Sausage with the spaghetti sauce. Then she adds a little sauce with the pasta, puts it on a plate, and then combines the pasta with the sauce/meat on the plate.

So we haven’t had spaghetti in a while due to the stress of the whole ordeal.

• Haha 3
  • Hugs 1

I was raised in a pasta on the plate, then sauce on the pasta family if doing spaghetti and meat sauce.

As a college kid or living on my own , I would just open the can of Spaghettios and meatballs and warm them up on the hotplate 

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I was raised in a pasta on the plate, then sauce on the pasta family if doing spaghetti and meat sauce.

As a college kid or living on my own , I would just open the can of Spaghettios and meatballs and warm them up on the hotplate 

Two memories your post gave me, one is my mom making spaghetti sauce in a wok.  We started rebelling against indo food daily so she started mixing it up for my brother & I.  And who the hell warms up spaghettio’s, cold out of the can is where it’s at! 😂

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

The thick sauce simmers in a pan as the pasta reaches al dente, scoop a cup of pasta water out of the pot before draining the pasta, add the pasta water to the sauce and turn up heat, add pasta to sauce and mix it in, keep it at a brisk simmer for a few minutes before serving.

The pasta and sauce not only marry they start a family.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Further said:

The thick sauce simmers in a pan as the pasta reaches al dente, scoop a cup of pasta water out of the pot before draining the pasta, add the pasta water to the sauce and turn up heat, add pasta to sauce and mix it in, keep it at a brisk simmer for a few minutes before serving.

The pasta and sauce not only marry they start a family.

This is the Italian way, yes?

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

For 2 people:  If the sauce is exceptionally wonderful, is after some light mixing pasta and sauce in pot, and on plate, pour a bit of sauce on top.  That way, a bit of sauce is showcased for taste.

And breaking up spaghetti for boiling water, in approx. 1/2 lengths only.

(But who ever wants to listen an Asian on this..)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

do you put the sauce on top or mix it all up so the sauce is thoroughly mixed with the pasta?

I mix the sauce and pasta before I eat it.

My quick, one-plate, pasta dinner is made by weighing out 4.4 oz. (1/3 of a 13.25 oz box) of pasta and boiling it to al dente along with five 0.5 oz, pre-cooked, frozen meatballs.

The Pasta/Meatballs are drained in a colander then put on an large dinner plate.  I weigh out 7-8 oz. of spaghetti sauce (1/3 of a bottle of Prego or the same with my homemade canned sauce) on top of the pasta and sprinkle some onion and garlic powder on it to kick it up a notch.

Then I nuke it for 2.5 minutes to heat the sauce - the pasta won't overcook because the water's been drained off.

Then I add Parmesan cheese and stir it all together or stir it together then add a dab of cottage or ricotta cheese at the edge of the plate.

I add salt as needed.

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1