Yikes! Talk About A Crummy Trendline!

Razors Edge

8 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

The bastards just raised our rates again.  I finally got off my ass for insurance, I guess I need to get on this one.

Raised WHICH rates?  Comcast and Charter both seem to be headed 100% towards the bandwidth business and away from the "cable TV" business. Comcast, with its ownership of NBC and stuff like that, though, is a bit more entangled, but even so, they'll be working out how to get more folks onto their most profitable model ASAP. :D

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

There's way too many streaming services. Eventually there's going to be major consolidations or services just stopping.

Amazon is now just screwing with Prime members.  Popping ads into their shows (or pay more).  I'd cancel if it was just a streaming service, but I use it 90% for shopping and 9% for video (1% for Whole Foods discounts).

I might have to review Walmart a little more and see if they rival Amazon at all shopping wise (I doubt it). 

• Heart 2

@BuffJim I subscribed to Hulu Live. When we dropped cable TV. I actually got a few channels that were usable to me not offered on cable. It also has a DVR feature. I like that I can watch the Big Ten network here in Arizona to follow my Husker sports teams. I can also record the F1 races so I don’t have to get up at stupid hours (especially when the rest of the country goes to DST) to watch them. 
The downside? They have doubled the rate in the last 4 years. Another major jump and I will drop them and just subscribe to Big Ten+. I already have ESPN available as part of the Disney package. That would just leave the Food Network as a regular channel. I’m sure it’s available on another streaming service. 
I need to sort out the Amazon services. I’m ok with an occasional commercial to pay less, but it seems the Prime subscription no longer has access to things I once watched. I want to see Good Omens season 2 and they are streaming the entire series of Northern Exposure. My son was very young when it aired but he knew I liked it a lot. He is watching it and raving about how good it is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, groupw said:

That would just leave the Food Network as a regular channel. I’m sure it’s available on another streaming service

I think I’ve seen it in Sling. When browsing for HGTV to watch House Hunters International. 

3 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I think I’ve seen it in Sling. When browsing for HGTV to watch House Hunters International. 

I watch HHI on Max when I want to search for a specific episode/location.  Otherwise, the newest episode records to the DVR (we still have cable tv), and we usually have 5 or 6 episodes waiting to choose from.  

On 2/2/2024 at 1:51 PM, Razors Edge said:

Yikes! Talk About A Crummy Trendline!

Yeah when I and the rest of the boomers die off that chart will go downhill even more.

There is this.. 

A New Low: Just 46% Of U.S. Households Subscribe To Traditional Cable TV

The “cord cutting” trend cable execs spent a decade claiming was a fad just broke another round of new records. According to Leichtman Research, major cable TV providers lost another 1.7 million subscribers last quarter, as users flock to streaming, over the air TV, TikTok, or, you know, books. Roughly 17,700 customers cut the cord every single day during the second quarter of 2023.

https://leichtmanresearch.com/major-pay-tv-providers-lost-about-1730000-subscribers-in-2q-2023/

On 2/4/2024 at 12:41 AM, Bikeguy said:

The “cord cutting” trend cable execs spent a decade claiming was a fad just broke another round of new records.

I do wonder if the "claim" was for the press/public consumption, but not what those executives were actually focussing on.  Some parts surely just couldn't pivot - ie Dish - but others like Comcast or Verizon seem to be pretty well positioned across the gamut of options.  

As businesses see with cloud migration, there is a period of time - longer than any want - where you are forced to have a foot in the past (data centers and cable channels) and a foot in the future (cloud hosting and streaming/bandwidth).  That's a spot the legacy folks live in as the transition to a "better" and/or modern system comes about.  New actors can jump straight into those newer technologies (straight to a cloud or streaming business model), and some of the legacy folks won't be able to make the jump from the old to the new (due to leadership weakness, resource limitations, or being a small fish) and will fade away.