Inert nuclear missile found in US man's garage.

Bikeguy
Go to solution Solved by MoseySusan,

Air-2 Genie was an unguided air to air missile carried by cold war interceptors to defend our northern borders from swarms of Russian Bombers back in the 50's and 60's.  It would be used against a multiple aircraft formation from a distance of up to 6 miles. Normally the term inert is applied to practice weapons or bombs carried in drills that have no fuel or warheads.  I guess the air force prefers the word inert instead of dummy.

image.thumb.png.535019b70a323352c506f9a06440a6d1.png

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Air-2 Genie was an unguided air to air missile carried by cold war interceptors to defend our northern borders from swarms of Russian Bombers back in the 50's and 60's.  It would be used against a multiple aircraft formation from a distance of up to 6 miles. Normally the term inert is applied to practice weapons or bombs carried in drills that have no fuel or warheads.  I guess the air force prefers the word inert instead of dummy.

I've noticed you know way too much about this kind of stuff.   I won't ask how or why. :dontknow:

You probably can't tell me. :whistle:

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Air-2 Genie was an unguided air to air missile carried by cold war interceptors to defend our northern borders from swarms of Russian Bombers back in the 50's and 60's.  It would be used against a multiple aircraft formation from a distance of up to 6 miles.

We were going to nuke Canada!

Actually we were going to nuke the USA also. Many US cities had Nike surface-to-air missile sites which would launch nukes at Russian bombers as they attacked. They were all deactivated by the early 1970s. There were four such sites around St. Louis run by the US Army. I know where three of them are as they are on popular cycling routes. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I know where three of them are as they are on popular cycling routes. 

I was going to say exactly that.  There is a former Nike site in the hills around LA that is on a popular gravel ride. 

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

If there was an old war head on it, Bellevue is not the place you'd want it to blow. It's like 7 miles east of Seattle on Lake Washington.  There's a lot of money in that town.

IMO you'd be lucky to get a 60 year old nuclear warhead to do anything more than a fizzle.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Then I read this was in Washington state. I thought how did @Dottleshead get one?  I read a bit more... wrong city.  So our good buddy isn't crazy after all. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68189568

It was basically just the rocket fuel chamber with nothing explosive in it.

When I was in college, when 10K of memory was a lot for a computer, there were some chemistry and physics professors who bought old, never-launched satellites for their computer memory.  It wasn't shocking to see a nose cone sitting in a lab.

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

. Many US cities had Nike surface-to-air missile sites which would launch nukes at Russian bombers as they attacked. They were all deactivated by the early 1970s. There were four such sites around St. Louis run by the US Army. I know where three of them are as they are on popular cycling routes. 

Reportedly, one of the best preserved is in the Everglades National Park. Tours are available with park rangers for certain times of the year depending on staffing. Obviously, was activated with the Cuban Missile Crisis. Also read recently that low water and canal drainage has exposed stolen cars that were intentionally disposed of by driving into the canals and pond around it. HM69 Nike Missile Base - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov) In my several trips to the Everglades...even biking it, I was not aware of it to visit.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

mr and I were just talking about how people fill their garage with stuff and then their cars sit outside deteriorating in the weather. I mean, come on? How are you going to spend all that money in a house with a garage and then use it to shelter boxes of second-hand stuff, old furniture, inert nuclear weapons, tools that maybe used to operate, several projects you’ll maybe get to, and let your car bake in the sun? 

We have that same conversation but insert snow and ice. 

• Heart 1

I lived very near to the launcher component of a Nike site in the 60's  There was even a street a couple of blocks over named Nike Circle where many of the Army families lived.  I do not remember if they converted from Nike Ajax to Nike Hercules (which might have been nuclear).  I think the site might have been retired without conversion but I'm drawing a blank.  We went on a tour of the site once.

The radar components were on the high hill tops but not near my house.  I believe we were on the 100 mile perimeter shell for New York City.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

And cars are money! Our street has all these somewhat new cars sitting at curbside, pulled up onto the front yard, sitting in the driveway…people are simultaneously making payments and worsening their automobile depreciation. 

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

And cars are money! Our street has all these somewhat new cars sitting at curbside, pulled up onto the front yard, sitting in the driveway…people are simultaneously making payments and worsening their automobile depreciation. 

This. Worst investment you can make.  The few times I have bought a new car, I paid it off as fast as I can.  I hate car payments.  Hate them.  But reliable transportation is important.  Lot's of theories out there on how you should budget them and buy them and own them and care for them -- but I think most of us can agree on that buying cars on loan stinks.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Worst investment you can make. 

but I think most of us can agree on that buying cars on loan stinks

Cars are not an investment. At least 99.9% of them.   The exception is some rare car you don't drive.

The last time I had a car loan was the 3 year loan on my 2005 Prius. I paid that off in 1 year.  I don't like car loans.  I save for the next one.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Cars are not an investment. At least 99.9% of them.   The exception is some rare car you don't drive.

The last time I had a car loan was the 3 year loan on my 2005 Prius. I paid that off in 1 year.  I don't like car loans.  I save for the next one.

Only time I like a car loan is when they pay me to take it where would not give me the extra grand or so if I paid cash. Of course, I am flush with cash that I was going to purchase the car with, so within 3 months...KABOOM! it is paid for.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Airehead said:
On 2/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, MoseySusan said:

mr and I were just talking about how people fill their garage with stuff and then their cars sit outside deteriorating in the weather. I mean, come on? How are you going to spend all that money in a house with a garage and then use it to shelter boxes of second-hand stuff, old furniture, inert nuclear weapons, tools that maybe used to operate, several projects you’ll maybe get to, and let your car bake in the sun? 

I gave up on that fight disagreement conversation where I was obviously wrong.

• Heart 1