Meanwhile...In MoseySusan's Living Room

Razors Edge

52 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Those are probably gay agenda books. So queer. So coming-of-age. So feisty. 

Our provincial premier wants her party to create even more pronounced divisions in our province via legislation.  I bolded a section:  it is important in the most basic way that teacher with teens discuss in general about gender identity, sexuality. It is not even clear where sex education fits into all this.  I don't think all parents are capable/comfortable to even inform their kids the basics. (My parents weren't ...and many still are like my parents.)

Transgender allies gather in Calgary and Edmonton to rally against proposed government policies | CBC News

On Thursday, Smith said her government will introduce legislation this fall to support the planned policy changes affecting transgender and non-binary youth and adults.

The measures being proposed are:

• Top and bottom surgeries will be banned for minors aged 17 and under. Doctors say bottom surgeries aren't performed on youth and top surgeries are rare.
  • Puberty blockers and hormone therapies for gender affirmation will not be permitted for children aged 15 and under.
  • Youths aged 16 and 17 will be permitted to start hormone therapies for gender affirmation "as long as they are deemed mature enough" and have parental, physician and psychologist approval.
  • Parental notification and consent will be required for a school to alter the name or pronouns of any child aged 15 and under. Students who are 16 or 17 won't need permission but schools will need to let their parents know first.
  • Parents will have to "opt-in" their children every time a teacher plans to teach about gender identity, sexual orientation or sexuality. Alberta law currently requires parental notification and gives them the option to opt students out.
  • All third-party teaching materials on gender identity, sexual orientation or sexuality will need to be approved in advance by the education ministry.
  • Transgender women will be banned from competing in women's sports leagues. Smith said the government will work with leagues to set up co-ed or gender-neutral divisions for sports.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

legislation this fall to support the planned policy changes affecting transgender and non-binary youth and adults.

I’d rather see medical market forces address people’s needs for health care. Legislation has a chilling effect on honest dialogue and on medical treatment options for young people experiencing gender identity wellbeing issues. A robust, client-driven and flexible medical approach to health and mental health wellbeing has space for everyone who needs help making sense out of their body image, their gender identity, and their lived experiences. When the law is the agency for medical treatment options, people, and medical professionals, are left out of important conversations about their bodies, and about the scope of their ability to heal. 

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I’d rather see medical market forces address people’s needs for health care. Legislation has a chilling effect on honest dialogue and on medical treatment options for young people experiencing gender identity wellbeing issues. A robust, client-driven and flexible medical approach to health and mental health wellbeing has space for everyone who needs help making sense out of their body image, their gender identity, and their lived experiences. When the law is the agency for medical treatment options, people, and medical professionals, are left out of important conversations about their bodies, and about the scope of their ability to heal. 

The desire to control others is not conducive to honest dialog.