Potatoes

Yesterday I made Bfast for the crew while in the cabin.  I fried up a bunch of bacon & boiled some cubed potatos.  I then chopped up an onion, put it in the bacon grease & then added the potatoes.  I cooked them low & slow for a nice brown crisp.

WOChrisL asked how I made them as they really tasted better than I normally make them.  I told her it was the environment.  Bfast in a mountain cabin makes everything better….  Good thing she’s not getting her cholesterol checked anytime soon! 😂  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Yum 1

Paint with them.  :huh:

Faller, the German model company most famous for plastic models of buildings for European train layouts puts out guide books on building and painting.  One of the techniques they teach is to weather the tile roof by painting using a potato for a brush/stamp.  They cut raw potato sections that look like truncated pyramids and stamp with the small end.  Because it's not a brush it puts down (with lots of practice) an irregular patch of color that looks like scale and dirt.

Fun fact for potatoes.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

A very useful and versatile vegetable. Boil em, mash em, fry em. It’s all good. Tonight I made potatoes Anna. Thinly sliced and layered in a skillet with bacon grease, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Baked at 425 for an hour. These are well done where I wanted medium rare. Live and learn. 

IMG_2067.jpeg

I read a study that said the introduction of the potato to Europe in the 1500's provided the cheap nutrition that allowed Europe to dominate the world in succeeding centuries just as it had previously done for the Inca Empire.

The guy who wrote the study said he was inspired to think about it when he was working in the wilds of New Guinea and one of the impoverished natives, who struggled to make sure he had enough to eat, asked him, "How do you get so much stuff?"

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

A very useful and versatile vegetable. Boil em, mash em, fry em. It’s all good. Tonight I made potatoes Anna. Thinly sliced and layered in a skillet with bacon grease, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Baked at 425 for an hour. These are well done where I wanted medium rare. Live and learn. 

IMG_2067.jpeg

I line a non-stick fry pan with them then fill it with shredded cabbage and onion, garlic, cheese and seasoning.  Pour mixed eggs into it and start it on the stove, finishing in the oven.  It makes an amazing breakfast meal. 

• Heart 1

IMG_2067.jpeg

It’s a shame you burnt them

IMG_2067.jpeg

so no sign of pink when you cut into them?