Paris - Before Olympics

shootingstar

Didn't know by now, Parisienne ownership of cars had dropped  --2/3 of locals don't car.  Article is discussing how city is prepping with Olympic spectator traffic etc.  Reminds me of the planning when I lived in VAncouver prior, during and after the 2010 Winter Olympics. 

Paris votes whether to hit SUVs with eye-popping parking costs in latest green drive before Olympics - The Globe and Mail

In a country of car-lovers, home to Renault, Citroen and Peugeot, Hidalgo has worked for years to make Paris less car-friendly. Motor vehicles have been barred entirely from some roads, most notably a River Seine embankment that used to be a busy highway. It’s become a central Paris haven for cyclists, runners, families and romantics since Hidalgo closed it to motor traffic in 2016.

More bike lanes are being added for the July 26-Aug. 11 Olympics and Paralympic Games that follow.

But City Hall says that as car traffic has steadily decreased, down by half since the end of the 1990s, SUVs are denting the progress and fouling the air with their outsize dimensions. City Hall says that SUV collisions with pedestrians are twice as deadly than accidents involving smaller cars. It notes that two-thirds of Parisians now don’t own a car.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Generally, car ownership in a major city is one of "cost" vs "convenience".  I wouldn't own a car in NYC or Paris or many major cities.  But it sure does make sense to have a SMALL car if you bother to have a car at all.  

I also think alot of tourists will not drive in Paris.  If tourists if have 1/2 a brain and have already used subway/LRT in other cities, they tend not drive a car as a tourist in big European or Asian cities.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I also think alot of tourists will not drive in Paris.  If tourists if have 1/2 a brain and have already used subway/LRT in other cities, they tend not drive a car as a tourist in big European or Asian cities.

I'd recommend to anyone that they rent the car when LEAVING the city or drop the car when ARRIVING at the city (assuming Paris is at the start or end of a trip). You don't want or need a car in a big city, and it would be both a headache and a waste of money having one while there.  If thee for a couple days in the middle of a longer trip, yeah, you gotta figure out what to do with it, but otherwise, a car only makes sense when heading out into the non-city bits like heading out to visit a string of chateaus in the Loire.  Enjoy Paris, pick up a car, hit the various chateaus, and then drop the car at the airport before flying home sort of thing.  

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Generally, car ownership in a major city is one of "cost" vs "convenience".  I wouldn't own a car in NYC or Paris or many major cities.  But it sure does make sense to have a SMALL car if you bother to have a car at all.  

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I saw the activity in China, as I was in Beijing for 60-days, a short time before the summer olympics.

VAncouver's transportation plan for 2010, very heavily included expansion of non-car local options for volume of tourists.  This included more buses, increased frequency, additional bike lanes (of which some were temporary), temporary bike share fleets (the city didn't have bike share permanently with any provider until about 4 yrs. or so after Olympics), plus construction of a new LRT line with major permanent transit stops between downtown and its airport, called the CAnada Line.  

There were long lineups for frequent transit buses... but interestingly I noticed alot of would-be passengers were quite cooperative.  It was almost as if, especially the locals, wanted to put their best face forward to the international world with media light shining on  VAncouver.  It was an interesting time to live in VAncouver.

Canada Line is a full line LRT, with transit-oriented housing and commercial hubs at most of its stops. It is a heavily used LRT line and has been since 2010. So it's a dream to take Canada Line train directly from airport and 30 min. later you are right in downtown Vancouver.  

Toronto had an add-on train line built from airport to Union Station downtown for Pan Am Games awhile ago.  It is also is used well daily now.