How are Mediterranean people not dead?

Randomguy

So I have bought a few prepared salads, "shepherds salads" to be precise.  They are good, but the amount of salt in each is just ridiculous.  They had cucumbers and tomatoes, kalamata olives, and feta cheese, plus dressing.   I have also had an Israeli salad recently, too, that was like eating the ocean, too.  In fact, everything I have ever had that is supposed to be even a little bit "Meditteranean" has huge amounts of salt (hummus, cheese, falafel, etc.)

If this is the way they eat in the Mediteranean, why aren't  most of the people dead over there?  They should be having strokes and heart attacks by the handful, yet the diet folks are all saying up and down to eat this diet, and supplement each meal with a full eight ounces of olive oil and a bottle of wine, and maybe add some salt while you are at it.

What gives?

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

We live the longest with the lowest level of serious illness.  What's not to consider that the best? USA! USA! USA!

Clearly our health system is the best in the world at EVERYTHING, and our diet rocks!  No wonder we are the envy of every other country!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Clearly our health system is the best in the world at EVERYTHING, and our diet rocks!  No wonder we are the envy of every other country!

Honestly, I swear we have the best El Salvadorean restaurant not too far away. And there is this Indian restaurant we go to in DC that is clearly one of the best. And don't forget the Ethiopian place we hit up every month or so!  The world can only be envious of our American restaurants!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think the issue is “prepared salad”.  I’m going to guess traditional home made Mediterranean salads are finished differently and not with a ton of salt.

I don't know, when you are jamming feta cheese and kalamata olives in everything and anything, you are probably gonna cause some deaths.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So I have bought a few prepared salads, "shepherds salads" to be precise.  They are good, but the amount of salt in each is just ridiculous.  They had cucumbers and tomatoes, kalamata olives, and feta cheese, plus dressing.   I have also had an Israeli salad recently, too, that was like eating the ocean, too.  In fact, everything I have ever had that is supposed to be even a little bit "Meditteranean" has huge amounts of salt (hummus, cheese, falafel, etc.)

If this is the way they eat in the Mediteranean, why aren't  most of the people dead over there?  They should be having strokes and heart attacks by the handful, yet the diet folks are all saying up and down to eat this diet, and supplement each meal with a full eight ounces of olive oil and a bottle of wine, and maybe add some salt while you are at it.

What gives?

Can you really call it living if you don’t have McDonalds, Sonic, KFC, Chik Fil A, 5 guys, Little Caesars, and Australian Outback?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Can you really call it living if you don’t have McDonalds, Sonic, KFC, Chik Fil A, 5 guys, Little Caesars, and Australian Outback?

This is the salad photo.  Looks healthy and innocent, right?  Might as well have assault weapons in there, it is just waiting to kill! 

image.thumb.png.7355b1183e54add4a9286efc71240c9a.png

In another photo, it looks even more sinister, with more cheese.  In reality the whole top is composed of one solid hunk of feta cheese.

image.thumb.png.ad0ab3f21fa9682f111c09f80e228d28.png

• Awesome 1
  • Yum 1

15 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Sure you are not getting the Americanized version of those salads?:whistle:

I am assuming they were made in the Mediterranean by natives skilled in the art of local saladry, having centuries of collective experience to draw from.  The salads are then tied with bows and lovingly shipped to America via the Concorde, newly refurbished solely for salad shipment to  hungry salt-deprived Americans

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I’m guessing it’s the healthcare. When it’s available to everyone without losing your house it probably lengthens life expectancy 

Universal health care is such a complex beast that only 32 of the world's 33 developed nations have been able to make it work.

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2024 at 12:54 PM, Randomguy said:

What gives?

I don't remember the stuff I ate on the French Riviera or Greece being too salty.

I should add that the human body doesn't store salt, so what you eat is excreted and if you don't have high blood pressure, etc., some studies claim high salt consumption is not usually a major health problem.

The NIH considers the Mediterranean Diet to be one of the most healthy diets in the world and it's roughly 50% carbs, 15% protein, 35% healthy fat in Calorie terms, so it's not tasteless.

The National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD does extensive diet and exercise research - I toured it when I was co-authoring our county school's Nutrition Science Curriculum.  They have isolated rooms in the middles of large workspaces where the occupant(s) are isolated for weeks, have stationary bikes, etc. for exercise and the comforts of home and every Calorie of energy going in or out is measured - they even measure the energy passing through the one window to the outside and the energy passing through sinks and toilets.

They have kitchen workers cutting apples into slices, etc. so that volunteers, who are tested before and after the diet trials, eat exactly the amounts they're supposed to for months on each diet being studied.  The food is put in weekly bins the volunteers pick up.  If my weight doesn't drop this year, I'm going to volunteer since I have credentials that should get me a place in a study.  It doesn't pay but will save me over $1000 if it's a 3-month study and hopefully lighten me!

• Heart 1