Hail to Nvidia

MickinMD

The founder is an alumni from the (other) OSU. He has donated substantially to one engineering building on campus. Many of the sports fans want him to donate to the Football program ala Phillip Knight & University of oregon. There was an anonymous donation to the stadium rebuild but apparently not from him :(

33 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I invested $7400 in Nvidia in 2022, 46 shares at $161/share from the surprise money I got from State Farm for lost items in the house fire.

Today, they're it's soaring 4% and worth $31,750 after Goldman Sachs put Nvidia on its "Convictions" list of super-solid stocks and raised its target price to $800.  I expect it to hit $900 around Feb. '25 when Nvidia expect earnings to nearly double in it's quarterly announcement. Around that point, I'll put a stop-loss sale of at least $800 on part of the shares at Schwab in 2025-27, meaning they'll sell if it falls below $800, which will give me over $36K if th price holds like GS's Convictions expects. Spreading out my profit taking, I should be able to keep my reported taxable income low enough to pay $0 Capital Gains tax which is otherwise 20%.

image.png.14eae5da97822a31ecb702c100a268a0.png

You should take that money and invest in couches half a couch!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I invested $7400 in Nvidia in 2022, 46 shares at $161/share from the surprise money I got from State Farm for lost items in the house fire.

Today, they're it's soaring 4% and worth $31,750 after Goldman Sachs put Nvidia on its "Convictions" list of super-solid stocks and raised its target price to $800.  I expect it to hit $900 around Feb. '25 when Nvidia expect earnings to nearly double in it's quarterly announcement. Around that point, I'll put a stop-loss sale of at least $800 on part of the shares at Schwab in 2025-27, meaning they'll sell if it falls below $800, which will give me over $36K if th price holds like GS's Convictions expects. Spreading out my profit taking, I should be able to keep my reported taxable income low enough to pay $0 Capital Gains tax which is otherwise 20%.

image.png.14eae5da97822a31ecb702c100a268a0.png

I bought 40 at price $100+ more /share than you... at the time.  It felt a bit wierd, doozy to buy so few shares.  But I just didn't have freed-up cash to get more.

And wow.  Tough part is predicting when the fall will occur. 

I have also some Canadian hedged NVDA ...which is cheaper, but not as spectacular. Just a little steady teenager, feeding off papa.

Did you know CEO did provide some semi-conductors.....to China in the last few months?  Hmmm.  Yea, right. Let's not be naive..who is fantastic in drilling into details, copying and maybe besting technical performance later.  To me, that's the shadow lurking in corners of future.  Never under-estimate China now. They do have savvy  engineers, techie folks there...  they are NOT an emerging market.

I know that there is somewhat snotty attitude right now in the West, about China having cheaper products, etc.  True for the retail stuff.  But rethink the techie orientation of China's university education, the hyper work ethic there (which can be quite dysfunctional for one's health)  if asked to perform, etc.  Think of China like Japan, but a little more crazy, and looser :party::rolleyes:in its run/marathon. 

Because of lack corporate governance for its businesses, control by govn't grip and for its stock market in China, we just can't right now see past this messiness.   But they will/are running hard....at night. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

The founder is an alumni from the (other) OSU. He has donated substantially to one engineering building on campus. Many of the sports fans want him to donate to the Football program ala Phillip Knight & University of oregon. There was an anonymous donation to the stadium rebuild but apparently not from him :(

I'm always fascinated how much money some universities pour into sports teams, etc. in some American universities.

How short-sighted can some locals be for football program vs. better long-term investment of engineering faculty bldg.  Very different culture in Canadian universities vs. American.  And I went to my final university in last few years that made such a big deal about its football team and even a cheerleading squad + marching band.

I don't ever recall a cheerleading squad nor marching band for lst university I went...U. of Waterloo which is known for math, computer science, engineering, ....paid co-op program, etc.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm always fascinated how much money some universities pour into sports teams, etc. in some American universities.

How short-sighted can some locals be for football program vs. better long-term investment of engineering faculty bldg.  Very different culture in Canadian universities vs. American.  And I went to my final university in last few years that made such a big deal about its football team and even a cheerleading squad + marching band.

I don't ever recall a cheerleading squad nor marching band for lst university I went...U. of Waterloo which is known for math, computer science, engineering, ....paid co-op program, etc.

Short sighted?  

I guess not being an American Football fan, you don’t realize how much money football brings to universities.  Having a top flight facility brings top athletes & coaches. Top athletes & coaches brings winning football. Winning football brings TV revenue, bowl games & national rankings.  Which attracts more top athletes, coaches & etc…  Good football = $$$$ for many Universities. We’re talking tens of millions here. 

What I had a hard time with was the lack of interest in women’s sports.  Being a Football, baseball (men) booster & a Softball & Volleyball booster (women), getting fundraising dollars for women’s sports is so much harder than men’s sports.

For example, I worked snack bars for 8 years, 4 softball & 4 baseball.  My city shares facilities so they were literally the same venue, same resources & such.   We would earn 4-5X more on baseball.  

What we saw regularly was we would sell the same hamburger or hot dog combo.  It was like $6.50 and during softball fundraisers people wanted change back.  Even if we asked to keep change for the program.  For baseball fundraisers, people would buy the same combo, drop a $20 and say keep the change.   We didn’t even have to ask…  

I also worked fireworks stands (my city allows safe & sane fireworks sold to local sports organizations). Hang a football or baseball banner & people flock to the stands.  Softball & volleyball, not so much. 

We also saw local businesses donate for football & baseball but refuse us for volleyball & softball.  

The lack of support for women’s sports is really sad but like the WNBA, I get it. Money talks and the money isn’t there. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Short sighted?  

I guess not being an American Football fan, you don’t realize how much money football brings to universities.  Having a top flight facility brings top athletes & coaches. Top athletes & coaches brings winning football. Winning football brings TV revenue, bowl games & national rankings.  Which attracts more top athletes, coaches & etc…  Good football = $$$$ for many Universities. We’re talking tens of millions here. 

What I had a hard time with was the lack of interest in women’s sports.  Being a Football, baseball (men) booster & a Softball & Volleyball booster (women), getting fundraising dollars for women’s sports is so much harder than men’s sports.

For example, I worked snack bars for 8 years, 4 softball & 4 baseball.  My city shares facilities so they were literally the same venue, same resources & such.   We would earn 4-5X more on baseball.  

What we saw regularly was we would sell the same hamburger or hot dog combo.  It was like $6.50 and during softball fundraisers people wanted change back.  Even if we asked to keep change for the program.  For baseball fundraisers, people would buy the same combo, drop a $20 and say keep the change.   We didn’t even have to ask…  

I also worked fireworks stands (my city allows safe & sane fireworks sold to local sports organizations). Hang a football or baseball banner & people flock to the stands.  Softball & volleyball, not so much. 

We also saw local businesses donate for football & baseball but refuse us for volleyball & softball.  

The lack of support for women’s sports is really sad but like the WNBA, I get it. Money talks and the money isn’t there. 

Ok so Canadian universities are dumb. We just don't have same population base for CAnadian fan draw on a regular basis, in alot of our cities. It would take decades to draw fandom crowds on same scale. When Canadian attention....are on ie. NHL games.

Some American tech firms over the decades go to some big Canadian universities, known for tech. engineering students and hire engineering students for paid work semesters, co-op programs. University of Waterloo is known in certain corners of IT, engineering and math world. Paid flights and stipend money to ship their belongings/buy some basic furniture to live in U.S.  They are still in their programs...they have not graduated yet.

1 nephew and 1 niece from same family studied @ U. of WAterloo.  My sister said, at Toronto International Airport are the gaggle of these hired co-op students (they do compete via job interviews, etc.) ready to board plane to California to work and live there for multiple American tech. firms for 4 month paid stint.

Instead WAterloo, where I grew up, birthed technology/computer incubator firms, starting back in 1980's onward. I was a student there for 2 yrs. before transferring elsewhere.  It changed the city that I knew. ..All sorts of shiny buildings on campus. Then mini capital venture seed companies..  That's why Google, Shopify have work /office locations in this city, on the CAnadian side (in addition to other cities).  Housing costs in the city I grew up, is just approx. 20% less pricing than Toronto.  Or not much less. City got bigger slowly. More expensive than my prairie city.

You are right about women's sports and lack of similar overall interest for financial support/draw.  Unless one flogs beach volleyball. I guess that's been tried too..<_<