Covers

dinneR

I used to cringe when I heard a wildly different cover version of a classic song, but I've come full circle on that.  

Some country singer did a cover of "Life Is A Highway", and aside from adding a slight drawl, it was like he was trying to make it sound exactly like the original.  I think that's worthwhile as an element of guitar practice in the basement, but as a single for release?  I think it's pointless.  The more inventive the better.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I used to cringe when I heard a wildly different cover version of a classic song, but I've come full circle on that.  

Some country singer did a cover of "Life Is A Highway", and aside from adding a slight drawl, it was like he was trying to make it sound exactly like the original.  I think that's worthwhile as an element of guitar practice in the basement, but as a single for release?  I think it's pointless.  The more inventive the better.

Speaking of country singers, Sturgill Simpson’s In Bloom really captivated me. Yeah, I love when they do variations on a theme with a totally different take on a song. Jonathana Brooke’s Eye in the Sky was a good one too. 

• Heart 2

My favorite covers are most of Linda Ronstadt's songs, which she did better and sold better than the originals. You're No Good was #1 on the Hit Parade for Linda in 1974, a cover of Dee Dee Warwick's hit from 1963.  Heat Wave was a 1975 big hit for Linda, peaking at #5 even though it was the B side of the Love is a Rose (Neil Young cover!) record. Heat Wave is a cover of Martha and the Vandellas 1963 #1 hit.

Her best live versions of You're No Good and Heat Wave was in her concert at Offenbach, Germany, attended by a lot of U.S. soldiers, in 1976. A friend of mine claimed Ronstadt's rise to fame was because she always had a super band backing her up. The lead guitarist is the late, great Andrew Gold, the long, curly haired guitarist is the great Waddy Wachtel, and the bass player is Kenny Edwards who, along with Ronstadt, Bobby Kimmel and backups, made up Linda's first big band, The Stone Poneys (Different Drum, etc.):

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Who did the original? That was always a No Doubt song to me.  Just like All Along the Watchtower was always Dave Mason to me. 

No Doubt kept it pretty true to the original.  If you lived in SoCal in the early 80’s this song was popular on the LA New Wave Station KROQ but not sure if it was popular on mainstream radio.    Being an OC girl I’m sure Geen Stefani & the band members heard it often as did I.