Are you making the exercise grade? Meeting weekly requirements?

Dottleshead

For awhile there I was in the orange sadly -- even though I live in a green state-- ,

but have reversed course.  Data is a little old but probably has changed very little.  Where do you rank?

According to new data from the Centers for Disease Control, only about 23 percent of all U.S. adults get the recommended amount of exercise per week. That’s 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise, plus two bouts of muscle-strengthening exercise. 

image.png.cccaa52411fbaae4c44ed45a2656bc31.png

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr112.pdf/

I'm not.  Thanks to Covid, lousy weather and a couple trips I've yet to bicycle a single mile this year.  (I did log over 30,000 steps over two days in California though.)  Hoping to get on the bike, and off the schneid, this weekend.

• Sad 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Same old same old for this time of year.  Looking forward to longer day and better temps!

Our forecast for Saturday calls for sunny skies and 60 degrees... guessing yours is even a little better?

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I'm not.  Thanks to Covid, lousy weather and a couple trips I've yet to bicycle a single mile this year.  (I did log over 30,000 steps over two days in California though.)  Hoping to get on the bike, and off the schneid, this weekend.

hope you're feeling better

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

According to new data from the Centers for Disease Control, only about 23 percent of all U.S. adults get the recommended amount of exercise per week. That’s 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise, plus two bouts of muscle-strengthening exercise. 

This one is deceptive for sure.  My gut says a shit ton of folks - on Feb 6th - might be able to say they are hitting those marks.  A good bit can say they're hitting those marks month after month. Far fewer year after year, and then probably just a core group decade after decade.

IOW, the 23 percent today may be a very different 23 percent in July and different again in 2025, 2030, or 2035. :dontknow:

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This one is deceptive for sure.  My gut says a shit ton of folks - on Feb 6th - might be able to say they are hitting those marks.  A good bit can say they're hitting those marks month after month. Far fewer year after year, and then probably just a core group decade after decade.

IOW, the 23 percent today may be a very different 23 percent in July and different again in 2025, 2030, or 2035. :dontknow:

It's just a barometer.  It basically says 3 in 4 aren't getting enough exercise and it's pretty hard to argue.  I think we can agree the majority of the population is missing -- by a lot.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

It's just a barometer.  It basically says 3 in 4 aren't getting enough exercise and it's pretty hard to argue.  I think we can agree the majority of the population is missing -- by a lot.

I agree, but also think that if folks (as a population) health as a whole will be wildly different if just one group of 23% are active, and the other 77% are NEVER active ...versus... 10% core active, 80% hit or miss active over the years, 10% NEVER active.  In one case, you'll JUST have 23% doing well, in the other, 10% doing well and that other 80% somewhere in the middle, and the bottom 10% in very bad shape.

IOW - probably need more of a longitudinal study than a "let's look at things short term" (eg. this year alone).

NM is a big state. I have to think the ranchers here get their quota for exertion.

It was easier to hit 150 min/week when I was riding a bike to work. I do get at least 30 minutes a day and three strength training sessions. But indoor climbing is hard to fit into either category; it’s a lot of flexibility, strength, and balance, and it raises my heart rate. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

For awhile there I was in the orange sadly -- even though I live in a green state-- ,

but have reversed course.  Data is a little old but probably has changed very little.  Where do you rank?

image.png.cccaa52411fbaae4c44ed45a2656bc31.png

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr112.pdf/

According to the diagram, we in Canada are still digging snow so, yes! 

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Our forecast for Saturday calls for sunny skies and 60 degrees... guessing yours is even a little better?

Today was 37°, I wore full finger gloves, thermal bib tights, ski mask,  I should have worn my lobster claws. My hands were cold the entire 29 miles but didn’t have to worry about frostbite. Fingers don’t get frostbite at 37°. Wind chill was 33°.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Today was 37°, I wore full finger gloves, thermal bib tights, ski mask,  I should have worn my lobster claws. My hands were cold the entire 29 miles but didn’t have to worry about frostbite. Fingers don’t get frostbite at 37°. Wind chill was 33°.

BAR MITTS, LJ!

Are you making the exercise grade? Meeting weekly requirements?

Not sure...  you link didn't work.

That’s 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise,

Apparently I've done better in the past but I'm still OK.   From Garmin Connect.

image.png.b8998308e57a3781374701c55d2a0d99.png

plus two bouts of muscle-strengthening exercise. 

I still need to start this.   I've been hibernating.   :(

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Today was 37°, I wore full finger gloves, thermal bib tights, ski mask,  I should have worn my lobster claws.

This was my regret yesterday morning. I wore wind stop, lined tights and shoe covers, wool base layer and fleece lined jacket, an ear cover, but should have worn something on my neck and my lobster gloves. Full-finger gloves were not enough in the headwind, but ok when I turned around. I took crappy photos of the cranes in the field next to the bike path. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I still need to start this.   I've been hibernating.   :(

My unsolicited advice is to start with calisthenics/body weight training to avoid injury. Your tendons and all those stabilizing muscles need time to wake up after giving weights a pause. 

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BAR MITTS, LJ!

What does the Jewish coming of age ceremony have to do with keeping my fingers warm?

If I had a shop that stocked those I might try them. Not about to order online and get something I can’t use. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My unsolicited advice is to start with calisthenics/body weight training to avoid injury. Your tendons and all those stabilizing muscles need time to wake up after giving weights a pause. 

That's exactly what my grandson (he's 32 and lifts a LOT) told me.  :)

Thanks...

Yeah... I know I just need to start slow and work my way back to get a bit stronger again.  

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

NM is a big state. I have to think the ranchers here get their quota for exertion.

It was easier to hit 150 min/week when I was riding a bike to work. I do get at least 30 minutes a day and three strength training sessions. But indoor climbing is hard to fit into either category; it’s a lot of flexibility, strength, and balance, and it raises my heart rate. 

You’re good

Define moderate intensity aerobic. Yeah, Florida is red, significantly below average! That means we are out chill’s on the beach. :party: If it was higher, it means we were out running from alligators.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

He is a little old for that.  Oh, and it is "VA", not "LJ". :) 

Shit, circumcision at his age?!?!?  Then learning a whole new language? Oy vey! I don't think he's willing to put in all those preliminary steps.  He should probably go for a bike ride instead.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

If I had a shop that stocked those I might try them. Not about to order online and get something I can’t use. 

If you were closer, I'd lend you mine, but there is nothing "special" about using them.   Fit them over the bar & bar ends, and then you just ride with your hands nice and toasty the whole time.  I ended up often running with regular padded summer weight gloves since my hands were so warm. 

It is possible a tall guy might have too big of hands for them? I don't think that is likely, but I just have boring old regular sized hands. :dontknow:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

No I can’t guess or no you don’t have one??

Do you have reading comprehension issues?  Let me save you the trouble of additional dragging out of the topic...... 24.4

I'm definitely below what I should be doing and it worries me that I'm not doing enough.

Usually, in the spring/summer/fall, I do 2-3 walks per week on hills of 2-3 miles, that's about 45 + 45 + 60 min. so there's my 150 min. of moderate exercise.  Except I didn't do as much walking as normal last year.

And, mainly due to weather, I walked Jake for the first time in a few weeks last Thursday and my calves were sore for a few days.

I bought resistance bands, downloaded the online videos that go with them, and bought an exercise mat but haven't used them.

I need to develop a regular routine.

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Usually, in the spring/summer/fall, I do 2-3 walks per week on hills of 2-3 miles, that's about 45 + 45 + 60 min. so there's my 150 min. of moderate exercise.  Except I didn't do as much walking as normal last year.

My walking is aboot 20-25 x 5-7, at least in spring-summer-fall, so I barely make it. But I need to go above the min to loose some weight. 

I have been focusing more on diet than working out.  I haven’t been on my bike in a couple of weeks but we are riding tonight!

Weight is down, blood glucose too so positives there.  We should be drying out and our schedules are normalizing so we should be riding more in the coming weeks. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1