Back in office

ChrisL

One of our departments has space outside my office.  They have roughly 50 people plus management and they are having a team lunch & ice cream social. 

The laughter & chatter is comforting.  We just don’t hear that much anymore in our office.  

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

One of our departments has space outside my office.  They have roughly 50 people plus management and they are having a team lunch & ice cream social. 

The laughter & chatter is comforting.  We just don’t hear that much anymore in our office.  

You need to promote the afternoon fika!!!!

Be the change you want to see!

• Heart 1

Well we finally got a directive from HR that all employees must show up onsite at work at least 2 out of 5 days and that "remote" employees would have to reapply in March.  It doesn't matter if you live 2 hours out or 15 minutes.  Distance is no longer a factor.  Those people that insist on remaining remote cannot and will not be considered for advancement.  The essence of the email was get your ass in here or you're on our short list.  Looks like I'm on a short list (and won't be promoted anytime soon -- awww). I suppose their next tactic will be to make my job so miserable that I will quit or get fired rather than laying me off and/or paying me to leave.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Well we finally got a directive from HR that all employees must show up onsite at work at least 2 out of 5 days and that "remote" employees would have to reapply or in March.  It doesn't matter if you live 2 hours out or 15 minutes.  Distance is no longer a factor.  Those people that insist on remaining remote cannot and will not be considered for advancement.  The essence of the email was get your ass in here or you're on our short list.  Looks like I'm on a short list (and won't be promoted anytime soon -- awww). I suppose their next tactic will be to make my job so miserable that I will quit or get fired rather than laying me off and paying me to leave.

We went RTO last September.  This department alternates in office Mon/Wes & Tues/Thurs.  But they had everyone in today.  Only our sales team is in everyday (other than Facilities, Mail Room & my team). When we went FT remote many people left the area and they were allowed to stay remote.  To my understanding no repercussions for doing so. 

It was actually RTO that got me rehired when my current boss blew a gasket on how F’d up it went from a Security stand point.  

55 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I suppose their next tactic will be to make my job so miserable that I will quit or get fired rather than laying me off and/or paying me to leave.

I'll guess, it will be more like..  if you don't show up, you don't get much of a raise.   :(

How far is the drive to the office?

My one way commute was 72 miles to my office.  And 90 miles to the corporate office where I had to attend lots of meetings.  

If I recall, back in 2010 they offered WFH for one day a week to help with the work/life balance.   I never did WFH,  I figured since WoBG retired early, she would have more than a few tasks for me to do.   I didn't need 2 jobs.  

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'll guess, it will be more like..  if you don't show up, you don't get much of a raise.   :(

How far is the drive to the office?

I'm about 90 miles out.  Over half that is usually lower traffic and 70 mph (a.k.a. 80 mph) but the last 20-30-40 miles are a gauntlet.  In ideal times, it's 1.75 hours one way. My manager basically down played it because I think he's worried about his job.  I'm already in a precarious position and that position just got a little more precarious.  Whatever.  It's so crazy right now I'm just grateful for my job.  I'm trying to hit late March so I can get my bonus.

• Hugs 1

30 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I'm about 90 miles out.  Over half that is usually lower traffic and 70 mph (a.k.a. 80 mph) but the last 20-30-40 miles are a gauntlet.  In ideal times, it's 1.75 hours one way. My manager basically down played it because I think he's worried about his job.  I'm already in a precarious position and that position just got a little more precarious.  Whatever.  It's so crazy right now I'm just grateful for my job.  I'm trying to hit late March so I can get my bonus.

Our HQ is relatively close to me now - a few metro stops or a wandering bike ride.  However, they do not have enough office space for all the remote employees, and have zero incentive to call us back in to take up seats.  I actually enjoy going in once in a while (just a handful of times since Mar 2020), but when it is rare, it just ends up being a lot of chit chatting and little work.  They'll figure it out. In the meantime, I enjoy the 1-2hrs per day I am not commuting. 

On my death bed, I know I won't be saying, "Gee. I wish I spent more time commuting." :D Heck, on my living room couch, I don't say that either!

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

I'm about 90 miles out.  Over half that is usually lower traffic and 70 mph (a.k.a. 80 mph) but the last 20-30-40 miles are a gauntlet.  In ideal times, it's 1.75 hours one way.

Yeah the 90 mile trip into the west suburbs of Chicago was just like that.     I did this trip for most of the 90s and LOTS of days when we had meetings there in the 20s, etc..   (2 or 3 days or more per week)

Times for the trip were 1.5 hours (warp speed was being used for most of the first part of the trip on a good day, AKA 80 was slow) to 2.25 hours or worse.   Rain / snow / collisions long the way :frantics:  
I just got used to the drive.  Conference calls, talk radio, etc.... 

Now you know why I wore out my 2005 Prius 251K miles.  And I have 87K miles on the 2016 Prius, most of those miles were before I retired.   50 mpg helped....  I just had a huge time suck every day.  

No way was I going to move closer.  IMHO the farther away from Chicago...  the better.  

Yeah... I'm glad I retired.

• Thank You 1