Hate coffee, but must buy coffee...

Randomguy

Well, it isn't really a must-buy, but the gf just got a tiny Kuerig thing in an effort to stink me out of house and home, and I am also grasping at some Valentine's day stocking stuffer material.   

Is there such a thing as gourmet k-cups?  How do I know what is gourmet and not?

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How do I know what is gourmet and not?

not neceelery cost , but if someone adds "gourmet" to the name, like gourmet sanka,  then they'll raise the price.

I'm sure there must be local roasters in NY, heck there is one near me. They'll not be associated w/ Kueurig, but you can buy a filter to use your own coffee. That's what I do w/ our K at work. I use Chock Full o' nuts. Very good IMO, and very cheap to buy.

So possibly look into getting some local coffee. They'll grind it for you if you don't have a grinder at home.

Just a thought :)

Oh, does she like plants? Get her a coffee plant. I have one, I can post a pic later. It will not bear fruit, but that's okay. Having a coffee plants is a fun conversation piece.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

I can tell you in our office I keep three brands of K Cups and the Donut Shoppe coffee is the most popular.

You can also get tea and cider and cocoa K cups.

And you can get a pod thing that you pack with your own coffee, so that might be an option.

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I’d vote for the universal k cup you can fill with whatever gourmet coffee you like

Honestly, if you want decaf, and you want to use k-cups, do you really think "real" coffee is required?  I think the Donut Shoppe in decaf or even the Costco branded Kirkland k-cups would be fine.

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=4

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Honestly, if you want decaf, and you want to use k-cups, do you really think "real" coffee is required?  I think the Donut Shoppe in decaf or even the Costco branded Kirkland k-cups would be fine.

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=4

Kirkland's K-cups are really very good.  I have never tried the decaf though. 

• Heart 2

33 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I’d vote for the universal k cup you can fill with whatever gourmet coffee you like

This sounds good in principal, but...

20 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I had one and it was messy as hell.

...I fear it would be messy as hell, and stinky as hell.  

I hate the smell of coffee, it smells like burnt ass, and that is as charitable about it as I can get.  If open coffee or coffee grounds are laying around, it is gonna be far worse than a hole in a disposable thing you can toss, with the odor largely contained in the kcup that goes right in the trash.

I would rather pollute two planets with K cup waste than smell coffee grounds even once, and I am fine with that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Well, it isn't really a must-buy, but the gf just got a tiny Kuerig thing in an effort to stink me out of house and home, and I am also grasping at some Valentine's day stocking stuffer material.   

Is there such a thing as gourmet k-cups?  How do I know what is gourmet and not?

I ran across some Kuerig cups on the Peet's Coffee site, though when I order from there I get whole bean coffee.  Walmart also carries some of Peet's Kuerig varieties.  On coffeereview.com, their top coffees are rated about 94-97, their so-so ratings like 8 O'Clock Coffee are typically around 65 and Peet's are typically 80's.

Peet's Arabian-Mocha Java (89 on coffeereview) Whole Bean is spectacular and I order a pound of it at least once a year but I don't see it in Kuerig cups.  Their Major Dickason's Blend (87 on coffeereview) is excellent and they sell it in Keurig cups. It's one of Peet's lower-priced-but-great coffees ($18.95/lb whole bean or ground) and I often buy it cheap at Walmart.  Also, they do Kuerig cups for Chocolate Mocha, Caramel Mocha, and more.

This is $23.89 at Amazon:

image.thumb.png.d6aa359800a62028405c2e57674f9d02.png

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

This sounds good in principal, but...

...I fear it would be messy as hell, and stinky as hell.  

I hate the smell of coffee, it smells like burnt ass, and that is as charitable about it as I can get.  If open coffee or coffee grounds are laying around, it is gonna be far worse than a hole in a disposable thing you can toss, with the odor largely contained in the kcup that goes right in the trash.

I would rather pollute two planets with K cup waste than smell coffee grounds even once, and I am fine with that.

How can anyone with fine taste in beer have no taste in coffee?  This needs to be studied. 

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 2

I got use to filling the reusable pods...and then the Keurig died and went back to traditional drip a couple months ago. Not nearly as messy when get use to it and can recycle the grounds into the garden with no aluminum/plastic waste - just the paper filter. Also cost per cup went down significantly - but with limited use, not worth it. The key to minimizing the mess were the pods with the rubberized flap at top where water is inserted, eliminating backflow and grounds in coffee, and dedicated measuring spoon with funnel type lid to pour in pod. 

Forget buying tea, cocoa, etc Keurig capsules - way overpriced. Little known feature is that you can get a cup of hot water "brewing" without the capsule. Then use tea bags, hot cocoa mix, oatmeal packets, or whatever "instant" food required adding hot water. Typically don't notice any coffee flavor residue from prior use, but if a problem, can always rinse out the container where inserted the coffee capsule.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

@Randomguy, did you buy the coffee?

Not yet, busy work day yesterday.  I did some covert asking what she drinks, she isn't much for flavored coffee.  I talked about tea's to get her parallels in the coffee world, apparently is usually medium roast stuff, I will order today.

• Heart 1

If she’s at all fastidious, the reusable Keurig pod that she can fill herself with ground coffee is worth it. I use mine with a local medium grind called Adobe Morning that has cinnamon and hazelnut aromas. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

If she’s at all fastidious, the reusable Keurig pod that she can fill herself with ground coffee is worth it. I use mine with a local medium grind called Adobe Morning that has cinnamon and hazelnut aromas. 

Hmm, coffee grounds in the garbage can, however covered, will still make everything smell like grilled used diapers.  Grinding beans smells like ass, there is always a mess, and I don't have space for a grinder that will always smell like ass all on its own.  If you buy ground up beans, they smell like feces, and I have never been in a kitchen where there are active coffee drinkers where it doesn't smell bad all the time, and without bits of ground beans around the apparatuses needed to make it, on counters, etc.

The simple explanation is that even the space for this kcup machiney thing isn't worth it in my mind, no way in hell I am going to suggest  anything that makes the whole kitchen smell bad 24/7 and to always be a mess.  Enclosed and discarded Kcups are the most I can deal with.

Your idea is good, but the space issues and stink issues kind of kills it.

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Here is a roaster in Austin that I really enjoy.  They have some K cups on their site and I guarantee you she will not find these locally.

https://www.faracoffee.com/search?q=k+cup&type=product

Also a good idea, but no decaf.  I get the impression that decaf drinkers are not taken seriously by the coffee world.  Is decaf kinda like non-alcoholic beer, like why would you?

• Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Also a good idea, but no decaf.  I get the impression that decaf drinkers are not taken seriously by the coffee world.  Is decaf kinda like non-alcoholic beer, like why would you?

Maybe this will help?

https://karmacoffeecafe.com/best-decaf-k-cups/#google_vignette

5 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Forget buying tea, cocoa, etc Keurig capsules - way overpriced.

I wouldn't no matter what, anything that shares the same delivery method with coffee will taste bad.  I have great tea already, too, but I like the way you are thinking!

5 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

You’ve made an enemy of your senses, man! Your gf has the combined artistic, purposeful, mass produced euro aesthetic of a K-brewing machine coupled with the organic, relaxed, personal aromas and tastes of a freshly brewed cup of coffee. There’s no ass here. No feces. Nor grilled diapers. There’s only the perfect balance between post-modern and artisanal. 

Ass…fuck that.

I am afraid that when it comes to grilled diapers and coffee, there is nothing but ass involved.  

I wish I liked coffee, but it is vile stuff.

• Haha 1