too much for me

bikeman564™

$4300 for 660 sq ft seems like a lot.  You could get get a townhouse in Birmingham with more space for much less money.   You'd be in a walkable community with a huge selection of restaurants within 3 blocks and 3 grociery within a miles drive.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

$4300 for 660 sq ft seems like a lot.

Yes it is.   That's $51,600 a year and you don't own the place.    I'll guess parking is extra. 

My family room is probably bigger than 660 sq ft.  

My real estate taxes a way expensive here, about  $1100 a month.  But... that's almost 4 times cheaper than the rent.   

Sure I had to pay for my home.... but for $52K a year and you pay that forever (and increases in rent in the future) and you have zero ownership. :dontknow:   You can by a home somewhere for that much money. 

29 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Yes it is.   That's $51,600 a year and you don't own the place.    I'll guess parking is extra. 

My family room is probably bigger than 660 sq ft.  

My real estate taxes a way expensive here, about  $1100 a month.  But... that's almost 4 times cheaper than the rent.   

Sure I had to pay for my home.... but for $52K a year and you pay that forever (and increases in rent in the future) and you have zero ownership. :dontknow:   You can by a home somewhere for that much money. 

Well, imagine Bikeguy, my condo is 770 sq ft. in total.  With 2 balconies, brings it up to 880.

I could use 2nd bedroom/small rm.  That's all.

When I lived with dearie in Vancouver it was the same size but 33rd fl. We faced a saltwater creek with boats, etc.  I have been living like this even before I met dearie. I think my Toronto condo was around 770 sq. ft.

Is yours a bungalow?  

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Quite honestly, I don't see the rationale of 1 person in a 3-4 bedroom large home.  To me, it would be sad to live in such big space, especially after a spouse dies.  It would REALLY start to feel very "empty".

My mom lived in a 5 bedroom “alone” for 30+ years after my dad died.  To her that was her home, she wasn’t about to downsize. And it was paid for.  

But in the years since my dad died those empty rooms came in handy for several of her kids & grandkids who spent time with her for periods of time due to divorces, in between home purchases & such.  

Everyone sees life through a different lense I guess…

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My mom lived in a 5 bedroom “alone” for 30+ years after my dad died.  To her that was her home, she wasn’t about to downsize. And it was paid for.  

But in the years since my dad died those empty rooms came in handy for several of her kids & grandkids who spent time with her for periods of time due to divorces, in between home purchases & such.  

My 90-yr. old mother currently lives in a 3 bedroom 3 level semi-detached.  You are right that it's been paid off 2 decades ago. However now it's dangerous navigating stairs.  We all wish it was a bungalow. Too late/expensive to downsize in Toronto.

I found it bizarre when she complained to me that she said she couldn't live in a smaller place.  I thought:  For freakin' sake you and Dad, raised 5 children in 1 bedroom apt...before lst house.  5 Kids in One-Bedroom Apartment- Unearthing Space and Its Impact – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

21 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Here is the new apartment complex where Joe Louis Arena sat, in Detroit.

2-5k per month for several hundred square feet, no thanks.

https://watersquareresidences.com

That would be a decent rent in my area. Just a nondescript 2 bedroom apartment out here is around $2K.  Rentals in my neighborhood are pushing $5K.  

WOChrisL and I looked at high rise apartments out of curiosity and  2 bedroom 1000 sq ft places were like $2,500. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

My mom too. It's paid for, she likes it. Why move?

• Heart 1

That would be a decent rent in my area. Just a nondescript 2 bedroom apartment out here is around $2K.  Rentals in my neighborhood are pushing $5K.  

WOChrisL and I looked at high rise apartments out of curiosity and  2 bedroom 1000 sq ft places were like $2,500. 

I would love a two bedroom, 1k sq ft for $2k. I'm checking on a garage apt for $2k today.

• Hugs 1

Just now, dinneR said:

One of my good friends is from SoCal. Dude loves to surf. Huge Rams and Lakers fan. He snowboards instead of skiing.

Sounds like a local!  If he’s in the LA area he’s likely a Dodger fan.  If he’s down my way he’s likely an Angels fan.   

Sounds like a local!  If he’s in the LA area he’s likely a Dodger fan.  If he’s down my way he’s likely an Angels fan.   

I'm not sure which. I never hear him talk baseball. He's still friends with a bunch of guys from Cal and they are 49er fans. I guarantee he will be rooting for the Chiefs this weekend.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Is yours a bungalow?  

No.  We just wanted to live in a nice place before we are shipped off into a nursing home.   About 3600 sq ft total.  

Yeah many people down size when they retire.  We lived in a small home for 35+ years.   We figured... we can't take it with us so we may as well have a nice place to live. So we did it backwards and up sized.

image.thumb.jpeg.caef592e5ab0e27c38111b79178a2ac8.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Yes every year they take my money. 

For us in CAnada, property tax is determined by the municipality...of which in Calgary, I believe 30% of  money  from property tax, is for the provincial coffers.  PUblic is told right on our public website.  No secrets.  I'm pretty certain the other municipalities, especially big cities give this info. on their website.  The public /taxpayer should know.

******BUT I know as a former municipal employee and working with corporate standards to check/change records information retention, that municipality must keep by law for fiscal accountability, is that money comes back to our city, in mega-grants...over several million dollars to fund our social service programs every 4 years, which local organizations, have to submit applications to meet certain criteria.  I didn't know this myself until I looked at some of our contracts between us and provincial govn't.  Then I had to get our lawyer to do more analysis.

In each different province this will vary .. and whatever formula is used with their municipalities.  We don't call it real estate tax, we normally refer to it as property tax.

In some provinces, we have land transfer tax, which can be enough, if you as owner sell your property to a buyer.  In Alberta we don't have land transfer tax.  

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

For us in CAnada, property tax is determined by the municipality...of which in Calgary, I believe 30% of  money  from property tax, is for the provincial coffers.  PUblic is told right on our public website.  No secrets.  I'm pretty certain the other municipalities, especially big cities give this info. on their website.  The public /taxpayer should know.

******BUT I know as a former municipal employee and working with corporate standards to check/change records information retention, that municipality must keep by law for fiscal accountability, is that money comes back to our city, in mega-grants...over several million dollars to fund our social service programs every 4 years, which local organizations, have to submit applications to meet certain criteria.  I didn't know this myself until I looked at some of our contracts between us and provincial govn't.

In each different province this will vary .. and whatever formula is used with their municipalities.  We don't call it real estate tax, we normally refer to it as property tax.

In some provinces, we have land transfer tax, which can be enough, if you as owner sell your property to a buyer.  In Alberta we don't have land transfer tax.  

Yep - we have that discussion here a bit.  Where it comes from (2/3 from real estate taxes and then "other" personal property taxes):

image.thumb.png.703ef6e8b145ce2d6572dc22786d3d40.png

Where it goes:

image.thumb.png.0c04a5a81f13855e6d8f86761014096a.png

I know that people think they can get govn't services for "free" and somehow it's supposed to happen without funding.  Those are the people who refuse to pay their taxes.  I don't have any sympathy for them....at all. THe municipality..is there in daily parts of your life.

For Calgary:  For instance, bylaws and public safety includes:  police, fire department, bylaw enforcement (noise, parking, pets, trespassing, a ton of bylaws or in U.S. term is ordinances).  

I should offer, the 34% to provincial govn't ....ambulance and paramedic services is provided by provincial authorities.  BUT it is the municipality that operates 911 call centres and has 24x7 full-time staff.

image.thumb.png.4734a95bd129f7dbc100de6ed0c575d3.png

It's a nice location with water views, but it's expensive.  But the rates change a lot based on the views.  The 24th floor is about $1.500 a month more for the same size as on the 10th floor.   The lower floors didn't seem so outrageous, but the top floors are expensive for 660 square feet.

• Like 1