carbon fiber fail

bikeman564™

Welp, my FSA SLK Light crank is toast🤬 The aluminum inserts that are bonded to the carbon arms are loose. Not sure for how long, but the non-drive side is very loose, and the drive is is slightly loose. First I thought it was the pedal, but nope. The insert moves.

I have calls into FSA, and to a Cannondale dealer (I bought a bike from them). Being 12 years old I assume FSA will brush me off. But my goal is to get a Cannondale crank installed, which is why I contacted the store.

PS this is why I hate carbon, specially when bonded to dissimilar materials.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Welp, my FSA SLK Light crank is toast🤬 The aluminum inserts that are bonded to the carbon arms are loose. Not sure for how long, but the non-drive side is very loose, and the drive is is slightly loose. First I thought it was the pedal, but nope. The insert moves.

I have calls into FSA, and to a Cannondale dealer (I bought a bike from them). Being 12 years old I assume FSA will brush me off. But my goal is to get a Cannondale crank installed, which is why I contacted the store.

PS this is why I hate carbon, specially when bonded to dissimilar materials.

Yes, FSA will likely tell you that the warranty period is over.  That said, why would you want a Cannondale crank when you could instead have a nice Shimano crankset?

I don't know if you can blame carbon for this instead of your superhuman leg strength OR the aluminum inserts.  I would much rather have carbon in most places on a bike instead of aluminum.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes, FSA will likely tell you that the warranty period is over.  That said, why would you want a Cannondale crank when you could instead have a nice Shimano crankset?

I don't know if you can blame carbon for this instead of your superhuman leg strength OR the aluminum inserts.  I would much rather have carbon in most places on a bike instead of aluminum.

Cannondale cranks are aluminum, I have them on my fat & CX bikes. Had I waited a year or so, my bike would of came w/ a c'dale crank.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

I like my old one, but the new hallow ones were cracking.

Beat me to it… My Shimano cranks are not on the recall but many of them are failing.  Is your bike/drivetrain  10 spd? If so can you find a new 10 spd crank? 

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Cannondale cranks are aluminum, I have them on my fat & CX bikes. Had I waited a year or so, my bike would of came w/ a c'dale crank.

I ran the SLK Lights on a couple of bikes (pro deals are great) and never had a problem.  I had a couple of bikes with DA cranks since then that are great, the current bike has a Rotor crank that hasn't given me any issues at all.

All things being equal, though, you just can't beat Dura Ace at much of anything, that stuff is top-notch.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I've owned carbon bikes and components for over 25 years. I've had two failures. One was a seatpost that I overtorqued. The other was an aerobar that I used for over 15 years. 

I have never had a carbon part or frame fail (knock on wood), but I have dented metal before.   I think the bike industry does a pretty good job with safety and durability, for the most part, regardless of material used.  I know there are some exceptions, but I generally don't worry about breakage.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I like my Shimano all aluminium crankset

Mine is on the recall list. Need to get an alto check it out. I get my speed from cadence more than brute force, but I saw what can happen if a crank fails at the wrong time. Happened to a friend on a sprint. It was nasty!

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I ran the SLK Lights on a couple of bikes (pro deals are great) and never had a problem.  I had a couple of bikes with DA cranks since then that are great, the current bike has a Rotor crank that hasn't given me any issues at all.

All things being equal, though, you just can't beat Dura Ace at much of anything, that stuff is top-notch.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have never had a carbon part or frame fail (knock on wood), but I have dented metal before.   I think the bike industry does a pretty good job with safety and durability, for the most part, regardless of material used.  I know there are some exceptions, but I generally don't worry about breakage.

Are you familiar with the massive Shimano crank recall?  I don’t remember the number of cranks being recalled but IIRC it’s tens of thousands manufactured over a period of many years.  

This one would be a huge exception…

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Are you familiar with the massive Shimano crank recall?

No, I am not.  I know there are issues in manufacturing at times, but generally the materials themselves are fine.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

TORQUE MONSTER!!!!!

Yeah, he could break stuff!

I have worn out an Ultegra cartridge BB, and broke a chain and a few spokes, but I am no Torque Monster!  Those guys rip through rear dropouts when they unleash those 2,000 watt sprints.

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

yes 10., not sure. If not the bike goes in the trash

I have an FSA Al compact crank.  Not sure if the BB is a match but I think it’s 10 spd.  I’ll dig it up over the weekend & if it’ll fit you can have it.  

• Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have an FSA Al compact crank.  Not sure if the BB is a match but I think it’s 10 spd.  I’ll dig it up over the weekend & if it’ll fit you can have it.  

Thanks, but I don't want FSA, and I use standard 53/39

• Confused 1
  • Hugs 1

Grow these and maybe you won't hate carbon so much.

These are meaty, beefsteak tomatoes called "Carbon" for their beautiful  dark color.  They are supposed to taste similar-to and even better than the raved-about Cherokee Purple tomato but don't look ugly. Cherokee Purple produced 28, an ok number but not great, large tomatoes on one plant for me in 2023 and I'm trying Carbon in its place this year.  According to Houseseeds: Plant produces good yields of large 8 to 12 oz reddish-black beefsteak tomatoes. One of the best tasting black tomatoes on the market. This is the darkest of the black tomatoes. Winner of the 2005 Heirloom Garden Show best tasting tomato award. Indeterminate [produces until frost].

image.jpeg.8839e37e35c58c22c4ebdc9a798db56f.jpegimage.png.89d6bcc60264a2efca7848d7e4701c31.png

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Chatted w/ the bike shop, he's going to quote me a cannondale setup, assuming it'll all work out. I figured it be around a grand, and I'm right.

What???  For a crankset?  Are you made of money?  Don't pay for Cannondale cranks, they are a frame manufacturer.  Shimano drivetrains are way, waaaaaay cheaper than a grand, even with cranks, rings, bottom brackets, new chain and new cassette.

Might as well get a new bike.

• Heart 1

Shimano drivetrains are way, waaaaaay cheaper than a grand, even with cranks, rings, bottom brackets, new chain and new cassette.

Just checked, $407 at Excel Sports for crankset w/rings, BB, cassette, and chain, all 11 speed Ultegra except for the chain.

What???  For a crankset?  Are you made of money?  Don't pay for Cannondale cranks, they are a frame manufacturer.  Shimano drivetrains are way, waaaaaay cheaper than a grand, even with cranks, rings, bottom brackets, new chain and new cassette.

Yes, that's what it cost. Shimano cranks split apart. Besides I need to stick w/ BB30🙄 There's no standard BB any more. Adapting to another type is probably doable, but I'd prefer not to.

7 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Hills yes. I've ridden in some of the hillier areas (Traverse City). No problem.

Ok, the minute you start ride in a mountain state is when you will want to go compact.  And get disk brakes.

8 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Yes, that's what it cost. Shimano cranks split apart. Besides I need to stick w/ BB30🙄 There's no standard BB any more. Adapting to another type is probably doable, but I'd prefer not to.

No way, not even close.  Get a BB30 bottom bracket for a normal crankset.  Maybe now you are looking at $425 for all the pieces.   No Cannondale drivetrain is worth a grand, not even close, unless you are also including the brifters plus a super expensive installation.  It may cost that, but not worth it by a damn sight.

Split apart, my ass, Shimano cranks are generally bulletproof to a large degree, you would have to fatigue the hell out of them to have problems.

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

For a grand? It won't be any better than what he has.  A grand does seem steep but it’s @bikeman564™ money and it’s what he wants.  

FTR I paid about $600 to upgrade the cranks on my Bianchi I bought in 09.  FSA cranks came with the package but since I was going Campy Record (at the time top tier, Super Record hadn’t been launched yet) I wanted the matching cranks.

Did it make me faster, nope. Did it make the bike better/lighter/stronger, nope.  Did it make my bike sexy & me happy? Yep! 

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Split apart, my ass, Shimano cranks are generally bulletproof to a large degree, you would have to fatigue the hell out of them to have problems.

This statement really shows you don’t have a clue about the Shimano crank recall…. 

• Thank You 1
  • Whatever 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Did it make my bike sexy

Sexy bikes are important (less important as I get older), but I am assuming his cranks are as old as his bike, so 12 year old wheels and components and frame, the whole thing.

Why not put the grand towards modern equipment?  He can still get a C'dale with C'dale cranks, but with contemporary bits and pieces, too.

• Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This statement really shows you don’t have a clue about the Shimano crank recall…. 

I know about the recall, which was a recall for a reason.  Shimano cranks not under recall are as tough as anything else out there.  Those who think Shimano cranks regularly split are the ones without a clue, ALL the big component companies have had recalls (cranks, among other parts, as happens when manufacturing or material defects occur).

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What's funny is that for my Shimano crankset - part of the recall - the recall was "worse" than the problem.  As part of a much larger maintenance effort, they pulled the crank to inspect it. They deemed it "passing" (but offered to send it to Shimano for their final say), but when the bike was reassembled, they didn't torque the bolts on the crank arm sufficient. It worked its way loose on a planned 50 mile ride, that I cut short to 40 and coddled all the way home on the return 20 miles.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I know about the recall, which was a recall for a reason.  Shimano cranks not under recall are as tough as anything else out there.  Those who think Shimano cranks regularly split are the ones missing clues, ALL the big component companies have had recalls (cranks, among other parts, also, as happens when manufacturing or material defects occur).

A funny YouTube on various "Death Stems" but he notes other component failures that spell "Uh-fucking-oh!"