Love coffee but must buy decaf coffee

Dottleshead

I only have high test coffee in the morning with breakfast. My go to is McDonalds Keurig cups. If I have coffee in the evening, it will be decaf. 
I don’t care too much for Tim Hortons regular coffee but their decaf is not bad compared to others.

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I only have high test coffee in the morning with breakfast. My go to is McDonalds Keurig cups. If I have coffee in the evening, it will be decaf. 
I don’t care too much for Tim Hortons regular coffee but their decaf is not bad compared to others.

My wife buys the flavor Costco is selling that month but we've never looked for decaf.  I've been telling her there is a difference in taste though she claims she can't tell the difference.  So I figure one cup in the morning is the real deal fully caffeinated and then the second one or third one must be decaf.  I'm with you on the Tim Horton's coffee in general but I'll give the decalf a shot.

• Heart 1

When I ran the cafe I always called the decaf “why bother”.

Decaf is a scam, the coffee companies steal the caffeine out of the coffee and charge you more for the adulterated coffee. Then they turn around and sell the caffeine to drug companies and soda companies.

We have two local coffee roasters who both sell coffee locally and nationally. They both make decaf in many flavors. The one company just bought the other because they needed more capacity and the other company had more capacity than they needed. They are continuing to still sell both brands but help each other out.

https://www.oneillcoffee.com/

• Heart 2

Trash the Keurig and get a Nespresso

Various decaffeination processes exist. Though certain manufacturers opt for chemical solvents,
Nespresso chose to use natural ingredients only, to preserve the coffee’s many properties.
Two methods are generally used: Water Based and Carbon Dioxide Based

Decaffeinated coffee and all its secrets | Nespresso

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Trash the Keurig and get a Nespresso

Various decaffeination processes exist. Though certain manufacturers opt for chemical solvents,
Nespresso chose to use natural ingredients only, to preserve the coffee’s many properties.
Two methods are generally used: Water Based and Carbon Dioxide Based

Decaffeinated coffee and all its secrets | Nespresso

Any company owned by that asshole who runs Nestle can die of thirst. But then again the way it's going, water could become the clear liquid gold that oil is to black gold.

8 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

or heart!

Everything in moderation. If the one cup of full gas coffee works, but you still want the warmth and some of the flavor of coffee, decaf can work.  I don't generally ever drink it, but there have been a few times where it worked as a substitute - ie later in the evening, but having cake or something like that after a late dinner.  Coffee is a good pairing with many baked goods, but caffeine at 10pm probably sets me up for restless night. 

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Everything in moderation. If the one cup of full gas coffee works, but you still want the warmth and some of the flavor of coffee, decaf can work.  I don't generally ever drink it, but there have been a few times where it worked as a substitute - ie later in the evening, but having cake or something like that after a late dinner.  Coffee is a good pairing with many baked goods, but caffeine at 10pm probably sets me up for restless night. 

Yep. I'd be better off switching to tea but after the morning cup, i will switch over to decaf. My wife claims she cant taste a difference but i sure can. In the long run i suppose this means i will just drink less coffee.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 10:38 AM, Rattlecan said:

So we have a keurig.  My wife has been sampling many kinds from Walmart lately.  I told her a poster from Canada told me about Tim Hortons decaf and not the to buy the regular.  So she comes home with Tim Horton's regular because -- her words -- they did not carry the decaf and I was curious.  Fine but she bought a 24 pack and now I feel obligated to drink it. So far your assessment @Rattlecan is correct.  I don't think much of their regular.  It's drinkable but that's about it.

• Heart 1

@Kzoo it's all making sense now.

Which US states trade the most with Canada?

In fact, Michigan has been Canada's top trading partner among U.S. states every year since 1990. Michigan is the principal destination and origin of Canada's traded commodities with the United States.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/13-605-x/2017001/article/14841-eng.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

So we have a keurig.  My wife has been sampling many kinds from Walmart lately.  I told her a poster from Canada told me about Tim Hortons decaf and not the to buy the regular.  So she comes home with Tim Horton's regular because -- her words -- they did not carry the decaf and I was curious.  Fine but she bought a 24 pack and now I feel obligated to drink it. So far your assessment @Rattlecan is correct.  I don't think much of their regular.  It's drinkable but that's about it.

I buy Tim Horton's if I want a cheap cup of coffee that tastes fine.  I go to independent cafe places to get slightly better coffee at a higher price which does include LaVazza at 2 different places. Boy, a true Italian deli-cafe makes their Americano super hot!  No, I don't get decaf.

I haven't drank Starbuck's for last few yrs. since I no longer like the taste and then more expensive.

I don't make/drink coffee at home.

• Like 1

With tea..unless it is already decaffeinated...brew the first cup or pot (time based 3 to 5 minutes per brand)..that will have the most caffeine..brew again using the same leaves...less caffine..

Mostly..I do a pot of tea in the AM 1.5 cups at home and my travel cup on the way to work(between 6:15 and 8AM) then it is water..except for right now the occasional diet coke..maybe 2 this week :dontknow:

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

buy one of these filter thingies, and buy any coffee you like :)  this is what I use at work.
image.png.0fb44bc5133987c9f08ab4ceb0e44fd6.png

We've got a couple of those. We recently went to the disposable ones for convenience but thinking about trying @jsharr's recommendation of https://www.faracoffee.com/collections/shop-all-new/products/decaf-roast.  The problem is we have a backlog of coffee we need to get through before buying anymore.  Good tip though @bikeman564™

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1