Opel Magic!

jsharr

I owned one.  They were sold in this country through Buick dealerships.  Buick mechanics had a difficult time wrapping their heads around fixing them.  Buick eventually dropped them and parts availability went into the crapper.  Ours was apple green with the flat black hood.  It was an Opel Manta Rally.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I owned one.  They were sold in this country through Buick dealerships.  Buick mechanics had a difficult time wrapping their heads around fixing them.  Buick eventually dropped them and parts availability went into the crapper.  Ours was apple green with the flat black hood.  It was an Opel Manta Rally.

I had a gearhead buddy who had a 1972 Monte Carlo and one of the little round Opel GT's 

• Heart 1

My first car was a 1957 Opel. A service man brought it back with him. I bought it for $85. It threw a rod within the first month. I sold it for $75 without an engine. The guy that bought it had a Vauxal engine he was going to put in it. Then I bought a 55 Chevy for $30 and drove it for seven years. Those were the days. 

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

Mine was a great handling car, but within 2 years the upper shock/strut mounts began to rust out.  It would have required significant chassis welding to install supports.  I suspect that the car was never designed to handle road salt.  That's a similar situation to the Datsun 510's imported from Japan.

I always thought the Manta and GT were both cool. The Manta seemed like a worthy competitor to the Capri, but to never got to drive a Manta. Rust and lack of support by Ford was a problem for the Capri as well. 
I had a friend with an Opel GT. I helped him get it road worthy. Got to drive it a couple times. Handled well but his engine had no power. That engine had issues beyond our budget, though. He moved back to his hometown not long after. Lost track of him and the car. 

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

We had an Opel Wagon too.  Ours was red.

image.thumb.png.b42afab31a5b6a49be069e6e1f83ec42.png

heater AND defroster!!!!  Outside mirror!!!  oh, the decadence!

My dad had a '68 Opel Kadette fastback.  It was a pretty cool car for the time.  But, yeah, rust became a thing.

My brother bought a early 70's Datsun when he turned 17.  Didn't ask for help looking at it, just bought it.  Took it to get aligned, there was basically nothing holding the suspension on.  Camber was so bad the kids slamming cars today would call it excessive.  He should have known by the "paint job" that sprayed over fil tape that was covering huge rust holes.  He did get his money back, but had to go to court to get it

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

heater AND defroster!!!!  Outside mirror!!!  oh, the decadence!

My dad had a '68 Opel Kadette fastback.  It was a pretty cool car for the time.  But, yeah, rust became a thing.

My brother bought a early 70's Datsun when he turned 17.  Didn't ask for help looking at it, just bought it.  Took it to get aligned, there was basically nothing holding the suspension on.  Camber was so bad the kids slamming cars today would call it excessive.  He should have known by the "paint job" that sprayed over fil tape that was covering huge rust holes.  He did get his money back, but had to go to court to get it

• Haha 1