Oldest son is in the hospital in Syracuse.

maddmaxx

I hope he gets the help he needs ASAP and a full recovery.

On the plus side, hospitals are pretty familiar with dealing with people with little or no insurance. On the negative side, hospitals are pretty familiar with dealing with people with little or no insurance. :(

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1

Wishing the best for him. I understand his anger with the current medical system. It seems any attempts to improve it, even from those within gets squashed. There is a part of me that believes the system wants healthcare workers understaffed and overworked so they don’t have time to improve it. 
In the meantime remind him that stressing about it while there won’t improve his situation. You’ve got a small army here praying and sending good vibes. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

wishing he was in some third world hospital where they fix you for less than 10 grand

With someone else’s stolen organs? No thank you. 🥺 I hope the doctors find out what’s ailing your son and the treatment goes well. 

• Like 1

I wish a speedy and complete recovery, and no bankruptcy.

Our healthcare system is a disgrace, we have the technology to keep a corpse alive for decades, and the callousness to let a person die from an accidental infection, if they can't pay for treatment.   

• Hugs 1

@maddmaxx  I'm sorry to hear this latest. That debt will hang over.

When I was at an international conference in Maryland, 25 yrs. ago, a U.S. colleague working for the federal govn't, said when she was a student, she had no medical insurance.  At that time, as a Canadian it was  foreign and odd to me. It sounded very unthinkable to me.

My father was only a restaurant cook and in an industry that rarely offers private health insurance add-on. However, I knew at the very least, I could see a family physician / go to ER and get emergency treatment if life-threatening in any location in Ontario (because I was an Ontario resident), and still not have thousands of dollars billed to me.  Maybe charged for specialty drugs.  

Usually in CAnada  hospital will  discharge you from hospital, if patient is stable enough,  can cope at home and no IVs /life support/hospital equipment support that require nurse administration. 

The hospital added water to his IV diet but this morning had to take him back off the water because he was bloated and couldn't pass any gas.

On the light side of one of his rants about the $5000/night hospital was the tale of his nurse call button being broken, no one answering his shouts and him having to call the hospital on his phone to get a nurse.

He's right about the medicine for profit bit.

• Hugs 2

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The hospital added water to his IV diet but this morning had to take him back off the water because he was bloated and couldn't pass any gas.

On the light side of one of his rants about the $5000/night hospital was the tale of his nurse call button being broken, no one answering his shouts and him having to call the hospital on his phone to get a nurse.

He's right about the medicine for profit bit.

When do they predict he can be discharged from hospital if xxxx conditions in him, will be better for him?

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

When do they predict he can be discharged from hospital if xxxx conditions in him, will be better for him?

They haven't ascertained the real problem yet.  They cannot do a colonoscopy because of the perforated polyp. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

We have met the enemy and they is us. Healthcare is expensive in the US because of the overwhelming levels of preventable diseases. E.g. COPD, heart disease, diabetes. As a whole, the US population eats poorly, doesn’t exercise and refuses to accept responsibility for their health until they require care and then they bitch about the inconvenience and cost of the care required by their ignorance. 

That’s harsh, and partly true. You’re missing the part about under-insured because their employer won’t pony up for health care coverage.

• Heart 3

46 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

That’s harsh, and partly true. You’re missing the part about under-insured because their employer won’t pony up for health care coverage.

I suspect this is partially why alot of my American relatives (about 35+ of them from different families in California), overall have a somewhat shorter lifespan, than relatives so far in Canada in the past 40 yrs. 

Alot of them would at the very least, have approximately same diet profile as my immediate family (which is 2 generations, my parents and myself/sibs.).  There is overall a difference what immigrants (who immigrated as adults ) eat regularily vs. Canadian/American born 2nd generations.

Of course, I'm not talking about any exercise component.

There is no one on our American family side living beyond 86 yrs.  Whereas, several in CAnada..reached that and beyond.  

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Then there are those that really try to do everything right and get sick anyway.

I know about this...

I could count on 2 hands (maybe 1) how many days I was of sick and stayed home from work over 38 years.   In August of 2016, I take a week off for vacation from work. The plan was a staycation.  I was going to ride my bike every day that week and do other stuff at home that needed to get done.   That Monday I rode a quick 26 miles, then mowed the grass for 2 hours.  

Then...  I was in the hospital for a bit more than 2 weeks for pancreatitis the total cost they billed was $64,577.47.    My part for the bill was $1,307.04.   

I never have been on any medications for any condition then (or now).   

Yeah stuff happens to everyone.  

• Hugs 3

30 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Wasn’t this mandated under Obamacare though?  I recall that employers were mandated to provide medical that met certain levels of coverage. 

It doesn’t address the under & unemployed but CA has the “Covered CA” plan with subsidized coverage for those who can’t afford medical.  Not sure if other states have similar programs or not. 

5 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I thought most states had Medicaid for low income people. 

You sill have to apply for Medicaid.   Not sure if you would have to apply before a trip to a hospital or not?   :dontknow:   

I never had to work thru that issue.

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I know about this...

I could count on 2 hands (maybe 1) how many days I was of sick and stayed home from work over 38 years.   In August of 2016, I take a week off for vacation from work. The plan was a staycation.  I was going to ride my bike every day that week and do other stuff at home that needed to get done.   That Monday I rode a quick 26 miles, then mowed the grass for 2 hours.  

Then...  I was in the hospital for a bit more than 2 weeks for pancreatitis the total cost they billed was $64,577.47.    My part for the bill was $1,307.04.   

I never have been on any medications for any condition then (or now).   

Yeah stuff happens to everyone.  

I think we have great healthcare for most, but a screwed up healthcare finance system. Your 64k bill can be thought of as list price. The price the hospital receives is likely far less than this. But uninsured patients don’t have an insurance company negotiating prices, so get billed full price. They have to fight for prices doing their own negotiating. Or file for bankruptcy. Poor people don’t care because it’s government financed, or subsidized by paying customers.

13 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I think we have great healthcare for most, but a screwed up healthcare finance system. Your 64k bill can be thought of as list price. The price the hospital receives is likely far less than this. But uninsured patients don’t have an insurance company negotiating prices, so get billed full price. They have to fight for prices doing their own negotiating. Or file for bankruptcy. Poor people don’t care because it’s government financed, or subsidized by paying customers.

In Illinois there is the The Hospital Uninsured Patient Discount Act.  

https://www.team-iha.org/finance/charity-care-financial-assistance/hospital-uninsured-patient-discount-act  

Hospital Uninsured Patient Discount Act

The Hospital Uninsured Patient Discount Act mandates that uninsured patients at certain income levels can receive up to a 100% discount on medically necessary services that were provided at an Illinois hospital. Patients need to provide financial information and may be required to apply for other available public programs if there is reason to believe they would qualify. A maximum amount that can be collected in a 12-month period from an eligible patient is 20% of family annual gross income, subject to a patient not having substantial assets.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Your 64k bill can be thought of as list price. The price the hospital receives is likely far less than this.

I tracked everything (just like I do for ALL of my spending)  to see how the billing was paid and what was not paid.   My concern of course was what I paid.

I can't remember now, but I assume the network discount was applied before the amount was billed. 

image.png.9ae5b030f80ba503d625ee950d557e8e.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Wasn’t this mandated under Obamacare though?  I recall that employers were mandated to provide medical that met certain levels of coverage. 

It doesn’t address the under & unemployed but CA has the “Covered CA” plan with subsidized coverage for those who can’t afford medical.  Not sure if other states have similar programs or not. 

I think this relates to the pre-Medicare insurance discussion we had a couple weeks ago.  Some people make an effort to structure finances so that they can rely on already taxed brokerage accounts or Roth accounts before medicare.  That way they can keep their income below the limit and qualify for significant or full subsidies for ACA plans on the exchange.

But all of this takes some planning and  the information can be hard to find by people who just need insurance.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Ralphie said:

From what I could tell, the requirement to have healthcare insurance or be taxed had its teeth removed and the tax is now 0. I thought most states had Medicaid for low income people. 

I was wondering about Medicaid. NY is one of the easier states in which to get it. 

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Oldest son is a bit nervous because of family history.  Womaxx who had had colon cancer twice so far has Lynch Syndrome, a genetic defect that carries a predisposition for cancers including those in the colon.  At this time they are simply trying to calm down the inflammation till they can get more tests done.

Do you need to go visit?

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I think this relates to the pre-Medicare insurance discussion we had a couple weeks ago.  Some people make an effort to structure finances so that they can rely on already taxed brokerage accounts or Roth accounts before medicare.  That way they can keep their income below the limit and qualify for significant or full subsidies for ACA plans on the exchange.

But all of this takes some planning and  the information can be hard to find by people who just need insurance.

This is the son who spends much of his time in Asia and who would prefer to be back there.  Covid sort of ruined his employment history there and he's been doing temp or part time jobs since.  He's stubborn and when the company he was working for in Rochester offered him a full time upgrade from being a temp he balked at the pay level and walked away.  Unfortunately he sometimes lets his attitude get in the way of reality.  He like many thinks he's immortal.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 4

Just now, maddmaxx said:

This is the son who spends much of his time in Asia and who would prefer to be back there.  Covid sort of ruined his employment history there and he's been doing temp or part time jobs since.  He's stubborn and when the company he was working for in Rochester offered him a full time upgrade from being a temp he balked at the pay level and walked away.  Unfortunately he sometimes lets his attitude get in the way of reality.  He like many thinks he's immortal.

Youth, I have one of those right now too. I wish I could give her some wisdom. 

• Hugs 4

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Youth, I have one of those right now too. I wish I could give her some wisdom. 

He's 44, single and because of the nature of the teaching he's done his life style has changed little since college. He was briefly married to a very wealthy Chinese woman but I'm afraid his attitudes got in the way again.

• Hugs 1

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

He's 44, single and because of the nature of the teaching he's done his life style has changed little since college. He was briefly married to a very wealthy Chinese woman but I'm afraid his attitudes got in the way again.

Hopefully, he will find something once he heals.

Because of where he's worked overseas and his exposures, he would be a great asset for an American firm with an international market thrust. Or even a large non-profit organization serving a diverse population.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Hopefully, he will find something once he heals.

Because of where he's worked overseas and his exposures, he would be a great asset for an American firm with an international market thrust. Or even a large non-profit organization serving a diverse population.

His response at this time is to get out of the hospital, leave for Italy and never come back.  Reality hasn't hit home yet.

• Hugs 1

get out of the hospital, leave for Italy and never come back.

OK...  I have to ask, why Italy?  How will that be better?

Reality hasn't hit home yet.

For me... being the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks made me realize just how fragile life really is.  

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 2

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Honestly, I work at a hospital and I see this quite often. I don't think @BuffJim is too far off base.

Probably best stated with the standard (and more accurate) modifier "some".  

Regardless of pretty much anything, "some people...." is ALWAYS the case. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

Honestly, I work at a hospital and I see this quite often. I don't think @BuffJim is too far off base.

Honestly, I’d worked with families (a lot of them) whose income level qualifies for government subsidies, and I’m not in any position to broad brush the attitudes of people who make poverty level wages about health care costs. 

• Heart 1