Jump to content

The hockey match that didn’t happen


ChrisL

Recommended Posts

So we had tickets to a Ducks game and we all piled in the car & took off at 5:30 for a 7 PM game. We figured we’d get there early & grab dinner at the stadium.  We got to about 2 miles from the stadium & hit complete grid lock!?!? We sat in the gridlock for about 30 minutes not moving very far when DOChrisL says I found another way in, go to the next exit.  So I do and about a mile from the stadium, total grid lock again?!?!

Another 30 minutes and we are now in the parking lot chute, except the main general parking lot is closed.  Oh that’s what’s causing this… And a cop is saying on the PA the main parking lot entrance is now PrePaid parking only.  So about 15 minutes later we follow the guys directing traffic and they basically lead us to nowhere?  I stopped and asked the last flag man, where do we go from here?  Keep moving!!!!  

So they basically just directed us to get the fuck out of the area with no signs or anything on where to go.   So daughter looks up parking and directs me back to general Parking.  Another 30 minutes or so in the line of cars and we hear a cop on the PA, general parking is full take Katella Ave to Angel Stadium (2 miles away) and the flag guys take us away from the stadium again…

It’s now 8 PM, we have to drive another 20  minutes to park and then walk 2 miles to the Ducks stadium?  Yeah F this we got dinner…

So we called the box office and explained what happened.  They gave us a number to call to request a refund.  It seems some signage indicating the main parking entrance was prepaid only would have been handy and would of saved us an hour & half waiting in line of cars miles long for nothing…

So yeah that was our Friday evening… 

  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

This is yet another reason I eschew pro sports. Crazy!

My daughter & SIL have gone to many hockey games there and parking isn’t normally that bad.  The closed lot and no signage really was the problem.  They had alternate general parking lots set up but unless you looked on line prior you had no way of knowing.  This was their first match this season so weren’t aware of the parking issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My daughter & SIL have gone to many hockey games there and parking isn’t normally that bad.  The closed lot and no signage really was the problem.  They had alternate general parking lots set up but unless you looked on line prior you had no way of knowing.  This was their first match this season so weren’t aware of the parking issues. 

One time at the old Spectrum in Philly we went to a hockey game and there was a concert just letting oot at some nearby venue after the game and it was a nightmare.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ralphie said:

One time at the old Spectrum in Philly we went to a hockey game and there was a concert just letting oot at some nearby venue after the game and it was a nightmare.

The Spectrum!  I spent about a month there TDY in 1987.    We also beat down a bunch of protesting Teamsters.  

Apparently the Spectrum had a contract with the Teamsters that they do all of the set up & load in/out.  This was an Army production so we did the set up. When we were breaking down they formed a line on the docks & said we couldn’t break it down.

The Colonel running the program mobilized all of the MP’s supporting the detail, about 50 of us, and said get those guys off the fucking dock.  Roger that sir, we got in a skirmish line and thumped the shit out of them.  

Yeah they didn’t break down that show…

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My daughter & SIL have gone to many hockey games there and parking isn’t normally that bad.  The closed lot and no signage really was the problem.  They had alternate general parking lots set up but unless you looked on line prior you had no way of knowing.  This was their first match this season so weren’t aware of the parking issues. 

Kind of like the time I hauled a load of sheep to the sale barn in Billings on Sunday for the Monday sale. When I got there I was informed the sale had been cancelled, and they had posted it on the web site. I never check the web site on the day we work and haul sheep. Just had a 300mile vacation. I probably did not eat, as I do not like to leave a loaded trailer in a parking lot for very long.

  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Update… The Anaheim Ducks organization is giving us tickets to a future game with free preferred parking for the parking debacle.  We just have to pick the date. 

I’m actually good with this.

If you were really good at this you would also get free tickets for me along with free airline flights.  Just say'n.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 9:56 AM, ChrisL said:

So we had tickets to a Ducks game and we all piled in the car & took off at 5:30 for a 7 PM game. We figured we’d get there early & grab dinner at the stadium.  We got to about 2 miles from the stadium & hit complete grid lock!?!? We sat in the gridlock for about 30 minutes not moving very far when DOChrisL says I found another way in, go to the next exit.  So I do and about a mile from the stadium, total grid lock again?!?!

Another 30 minutes and we are now in the parking lot chute, except the main general parking lot is closed.  Oh that’s what’s causing this… And a cop is saying on the PA the main parking lot entrance is now PrePaid parking only.  So about 15 minutes later we follow the guys directing traffic and they basically lead us to nowhere?  I stopped and asked the last flag man, where do we go from here?  Keep moving!!!!  

So they basically just directed us to get the fuck out of the area with no signs or anything on where to go.   So daughter looks up parking and directs me back to general Parking.  Another 30 minutes or so in the line of cars and we hear a cop on the PA, general parking is full take Katella Ave to Angel Stadium (2 miles away) and the flag guys take us away from the stadium again…

It’s now 8 PM, we have to drive another 20  minutes to park and then walk 2 miles to the Ducks stadium?  Yeah F this we got dinner…

So we called the box office and explained what happened.  They gave us a number to call to request a refund.  It seems some signage indicating the main parking entrance was prepaid only would have been handy and would of saved us an hour & half waiting in line of cars miles long for nothing…

So yeah that was our Friday evening… 

That sucks.  If you want to catch a Stars game while you are in town, we can try to get tickets.  Boss lives one block from the arena and whenever I go down there, I let the valet at his place park my car.  Usually go up to his home on the 11th floor and have a drink or two before the game.  Lot of places to eat down there as well.  Last time we went to a Mavs game we finished off the night at a place called Billy Can Can.  

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 12:44 PM, ChrisL said:

The Spectrum!  I spent about a month there TDY in 1987.    We also beat down a bunch of protesting Teamsters.  

Apparently the Spectrum had a contract with the Teamsters that they do all of the set up & load in/out.  This was an Army production so we did the set up. When we were breaking down they formed a line on the docks & said we couldn’t break it down.

The Colonel running the program mobilized all of the MP’s supporting the detail, about 50 of us, and said get those guys off the fucking dock.  Roger that sir, we got in a skirmish line and thumped the shit out of them.  

Yeah they didn’t break down that show…

THANK YOU!

Those guys were a well known PITA.

The South Philly Stadiums are still a mess for traffic.  At least there's only 3 in that spot now.  Been there when FOUR events were going on the same night, brutal

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...