Life's alignments- when good & bad things meet: never procrastinate

shootingstar

Just got an email that a close, long-term friend @64, has developing cataracts in her eyes --at a speed faster than normal.  She's always worn glasses ever since I've known her as a teen.  

My booked flight (done 3 months ago) to visit her  on Vancouver Island, this May, now becomes even more special/urgent.  We have not seen each other for last 3 years. 

If you are still waffling when to retire/best time to retire.....or have procrastinated seeing a loved one,  don't overthink it.  Make the best decision, if you can afford it. 

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 2

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Cataract surgery is a great procedure. I had mine done late last year and now I only need glasses for reading. I was nearsighted for over 50 years. I paid $4K for each eye to have the laser surgery and lens to correct my astigmatism. 

I agree. 

She won't be able to get surgery for another 9 months anyway because of the queuing. But it's not life and death.  So it's PERFECT timing that I already booked my flight a long time ago, to see her.    Later she'll be in recovery and then after that, there's complication of her looking after her ailing 97 yr. mom in a different city, which she's been making trips for past few yrs. 

(Dearie was scheduled for cataract surgery ...but he died 3 months earlier than surgery date.)

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Cataract surgery is a great procedure. I had mine done late last year and now I only need glasses for reading. I was nearsighted for over 50 years. I paid $4K for each eye to have the laser surgery and lens to correct my astigmatism. 

My ophthalmologist examined me two weeks ago and concluded I don't need her to do cataract surgery yet, though I'm getting close. I asked her if it's better to do it as late in life as possible and she replied, "It just best to do it at the right time."

So I've probably got a year's reprieve.

• Heart 3

My cataracts got bad while I was the primary care giver for my wife Esther. While the procedure is a quick outpatient surgery with very few complications I waited until my wife passed to have the surgery with my eye doctor’s approval. When I told him I was ready he scheduled the surgery the next week. He also did a glaucoma surgery at the same time. That’s where we ran into trouble. I went completely blind in that eye for over six weeks. I was the one in over ten thousand cataract surgeries that he had done that it happened to. It was because of a medication I was as required to take every day (Brillinta).  

• Hugs 3

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My ophthalmologist examined me two weeks ago and concluded I don't need her to do cataract surgery yet, though I'm getting close. I asked her if it's better to do it as late in life as possible and she replied, "It just best to do it at the right time."

It might be wise to consider if a family member could visit you 1-2 days after you return home. And people may not be available in life ...on your schedule unless one asks them well in advance.

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Just got an email that a close, long-term friend @64, has developing cataracts in her eyes --at a speed faster than normal.  She's always worn glasses ever since I've known her as a teen.  

My booked flight (done 3 months ago) to visit her  on Vancouver Island, this May, now becomes even more special/urgent.  We have not seen each other for last 3 years. 

If you are still waffling when to retire/best time to retire.....or have procrastinated seeing a loved one,  don't overthink it.  Make the best decision, if you can afford it. 

Umm, cataract surgery is awesome.  Cataracts are not a death sentence.  :) 

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I don'r know why you would want it.  Get them done.  It improves your life immensely.