Omelette Help

Airehead

After more than 20 years of Sunday breakfast, Einstein asked me if I would make him a western omelette instead of waffles or French toast. I have no idea how to make an omelette , but very much want to do this. Tips?

he does occasionally eat one if we are away from home. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

Basics-Use oil or clarified butter. Saute your ingredients. Let's say onions, mushroom, bacon. Add your eggs(3 eggs mixed just enough to combine the whites and yoke). Swirl the pan. As the eggs start to cook, use a spatula to move the cooked eggs and allow the liquid to hit flow onto the pan and cook. Keep swirling and moving the eggs. Don't let them stick. When the omelette has formed you can stop and let it rest. Remove it from the heat. Add cheese if you like. Cover it if you like a dry omelette. I do not. Fold the four corners toward the middle and roll the omelette onto a plate from the opposite end of the pan handle. It will look beautiful.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I usually do a ham and cheese omelette for simplicity - dicing left over ham from prior dinner, and strips of cheese - guda, gereyre, if available otherwise cheddar or swiss - to lay across. Use a frying pan with butter, low to medium heat - no lid as need to form and flip. Whip two eggs with salt and pepper, and I add a little half N Half cream (whole milk OK but avoid 2% as too watery for cooking). Whipped all together gives a fluffy omelette which would be desirable in two of the three styles. I do a tri-fold omelette, laying the meat and cheese down the center after the bottom forms so won't filter through, folding the sides losely over and the two ends closed so doesn't leak when flipped. More common is the single bifold, laying the meat cheese in half and folding the other half over and flip the omelette once. The other style is rare and relys on thin egg layer - so no milk. Lay the meat and cheese over entire egg, then roll like a log.

You stated Western which has more ingredients to prepare. Personally, even with ham and cheese I set in separate piles, adding individually, and take a fraction of the pile based on the number of omlets being made. I also whip the two egg solution separately as one current omlette is cooking.  With western omelette in addition to ham would include bell pepper, onion, sausage or other meat, mushrooms, cheddar cheese and other things you may desire.  Good luck.

Initially used the square grill pan with low sides would make pancakes in, but over time it bowed in the middle and the egg would sun to the sides with thin middle. Much easier to use a medium size round frying pan where eggs assume the round shape of the pan, and do your folds from there when eggs are solid enough to fold.

• Heart 1

A variation would be crepes. Similar filling but instead of the egg holding the ingredients, watery pancake batter for thin crepes. Whole wheat/buckwheat traditional for dinner crepes and white for desert crepes. Traditional drink is apple cider with coffee for desert. This was one of my favorite restaurants that specialized in crepes, and my SIL - the food critic - was impressed how held to traditional prep. The owner of the restaurant in Lutry, Switzerland was French, and he prepared them where could visually see. 

Just an idea if you have left over ingredients and an easy dinner.

Lubry 1500px-15.jpg

Lubry 1500px-16.jpg

Lubry 1500px-17.jpg

• Heart 1

I have been making omelets since forever..got lazy and do everything scrambles..

There are 2 schools..one of milk or cream and one of water  in your egg mixture...either way mix them well to get air in them. I usually to a blend of a pat of butter and a dash of oil in my pan..butter for the flavor.  Once you pan is up to temp toss in your egg mixture..I roll it around and lift the edges letting uncooked egg move to the heat...As it starts getting closer to done I put my toppings on 1/2 of the pan..usually I pre cook those toppings ..add cheese and flip the bare half over..should be somewhat golden brown. I garnish with a little leftover topping and cheese ..I have found a 3 egg omelet is huge..with enough air egg layers(2 when folded) can be an inch thick..plus your fillings..so unless you are a young ironman..a 3 egg omelet will feed 2 or 3 people easily.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I have been making omelets since forever..got lazy and do everything scrambles..

There are 2 schools..one of milk or cream and one of water  in your egg mixture...either way mix them well to get air in them. I usually to a blend of a pat of butter and a dash of oil in my pan..butter for the flavor.  Once you pan is up to temp toss in your egg mixture..I roll it around and lift the edges letting uncooked egg move to the heat...As it starts getting closer to done I put my toppings on 1/2 of the pan..usually I pre cook those toppings ..add cheese and flip the bare half over..should be somewhat golden brown. I garnish with a little leftover topping and cheese ..I have found a 3 egg omelet is huge..with enough air egg layers(2 when folded) can be an inch thick..plus your fillings..so unless you are a young ironman..a 3 egg omelet will feed 2 or 3 people easily.

Or Einstein. He eats a big breakfast and no lunch on Sunday. 

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, petitepedal said:

There are 2 schools..one of milk or cream and one of water  in your egg mixture.

Do water.  The water evaporates leaving little air pockets that make the omelet fluffier.  A teaspoon to a tablespoon of water per egg works fine.  It doesn't matter how much water very much as long as it evaporates before the eggs solidify 

• Heart 2