If I want to be remote

Allen

How old are you? Looks like a lot of stairs. I have no problems with stairs at 74 years old, my wife not so much. 
It said the area is somewhat bike-able but is car dependent. Shootie couldn’t live there.

if you buy that one I want to come and visit you. 

• Heart 2

Winnah winnah! 

Ya, seasonal work. If he was afraid of seasonal work he would be looking for a home much farther south. And seasonal work, moving snow, is what you make of it. 

He's not in bad shape. If he were the steps would have made him say "Oh HELL no" and he wouldn't have shown this to us. 

I think it's a good looking home, interior looks liveable, it's in a great spot.....

I have my heart set on this one.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Beautiful, but imagine it with a lot of snow

It’s outside/on the northwest edge of the snow belts. They probably get 60 or so inches of snow a year. Less than Buffalo, Syracuse and the Adirondacks (about 100 inches) and much less than the snow belts, who can get 200+ inches in a season. Just ask @Gump 

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I don't know, Al. I see a lot of seasonal work. That deck especially.

I agree.  When I was working, some fellow teachers sold their high-priced Baltimore/Annapolis Suburbs homes, buying low-priced, magnificent, relatively-secluded homes on 1-acre along the Mason-Dixon Line (MD-PA border) south of the Gettysburg to York, PA areas, buying while the prices were "still low" as they approached retirement.

I was envious until I realized I wasn't going to want to maintain such a home and property in retirement.

And the homes are still relatively low priced because they're far from the attractions of bigger cities and the Chesapeake Bay.

I can't find the YouTube video, but I easily identified with the guy in the TV commercial (Merrill Lynch?) where the guy retiring says something like, "You're advising me to start a winery? Give me a break: I want to retire."

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Allen said:

That looks like it was just a summer home.  A nice one...

Just that wood stove for heat and no garage.  And a ladder to get up into that room to play checkers.  :dontknow:

Heating
  • Heating features: Wood, Stove

Parking
  • Parking features: No Garage, Driveway

• Heart 1

I'm not keen on indoor spiral staircases which this Zillow featured home has one. They really aren't practical for daily living...unless there is 2nd staircase to move/carry things up and down more easily/safely.

I had to walk up and down this spiral staircase, carrying several heavy volumes of old court cases. A library in Toronto. (I worked in another library hidden from this one.  It was hidden because it was just for the judges.).  No, not all cases are on the Internet for free. Digital old court cases (19th century) are more often via fee-based research databases...more for lawyers and law librarians.

image.png.d3928a4df452ba8f310e29122987b193.png

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Many are commenting why it wouldn’t work for them but I’m curious what is drawing you @Allen to those two properties? The remoteness or something else?

I really like the idea of going remote.  But I have to really love the place.  I mean I'm going to want to be there all the time.  If I didn't feel that, then it's not going to work.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, BuffJim said:

It’s outside/on the northwest edge of the snow belts. They probably get 60 or so inches of snow a year. Less than Buffalo, Syracuse and the Adirondacks (about 100 inches) and much less than the snow belts, who can get 200+ inches in a season. Just ask @Gump 

^ he’s right😁

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Many are commenting why it wouldn’t work for them but I’m curious what is drawing you @Allen to those two properties? The remoteness or something else?

Whim is what drew me to these spots. The lake house because it is kinda bad assed, and no I would not choose to live in the barn, but what a hell of a studio it could become. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Could be a fun fixer-upper. Except it is in Utica. 

Not sure about Utica.  No idea about the city.

That said...  one of our favorite places to eat and drink in Peoria, IL is this micro brewery.  :beer:        (Visiting Peoria is OK.  Living there, I'll stay where I'm at.)

This was a fixer-upper.    Obed & Isaac’s - Peoria

Exterior.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

Those ceilings are tall enough to set up some proper lights

His apartment floor split a tall, stained glass window. The top half was in his apartment, but the bottom half was in the unit below. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Near. Do you know which part?

I don’t remember where except that the Pride parade route was only blocks away from his apartment. We were out walking and happened to catch the last few entries.

38 minutes ago, Allen said:

That house would have two commas in the price if it were in Georgia

It’s 1300 sq/ft. My duplex in Bellingham is 1050 sq/ft and priced at $150k more. In BELLINGHAM. Ok so I’m saying lakefront here is over a million. My bad. People buy it up for the property alone and rebuild 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Allen said:

Another church for a buck fifty.  Already zoned residential.  Would be one hell of a studio, but it's in Dayton..

https://www.crexi.com/properties/1408382/ohio-14-potomac-st-dayton-oh-45403

Screen Shot 2024-02-11 at 8.47.05 PM.jpg

You could live in the bell tower like Alice and her husband Ray and Vocha the dog.

@groupw you know what I’m talking about.

• Haha 1