Simple reading today

Airehead

57 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Took no time to hear but will take much longer to ponder. 

For it is in giving that we receive. 

Francis of Assisi

FTR, prosperity theology is pretty in line with this idea (in a very specific way), and it's sad to see how corrupting "faith" can take a good message and turn it on its head.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hey, for anyone who wants to test that theory, I'll shoot you my Venmo or Zelle info.

Give until it hurts and you'll surely receive more than you can imagine in return.

Do you need?  If so , I will help. 

• Hugs 2

37 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR, prosperity theology is pretty in line with this idea (in a very specific way), and it's sad to see how corrupting "faith" can take a good message and turn it on its head.

Prosperity gospel is anathema to me as a Christian. One of its messages is that if you give a certain amount, or pray in a certain way, God is bound to repay you monetarily many times over. 
Its proponents use the word favor a lot. The converse is that if you failed to receive a blessing, it is due to a lack of faith, or you didn’t give enough or pray in a certain way. I once met a young mother who lost a baby and blamed her (ex) husband because he didn’t pray hard enough.

God’s accounting is beyond our comprehension.

I believe Francis of Assisi’s simple but profound statement.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Do you need?  If so , I will help. 

I'm just happy to help folks who feel the need to give :)  I'm here for THEM!  I'm that kind of guy - always ready to lend a hand (or take a handout :scratchhead:), and St Francis wasn't putting conditions on things, was he?

FTR, "gift giving" is one of my love languages :D

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

I think the Sunshine Committee likes Francis :nodhead:

Selfish jerks! :angry:

Or wait, selfless jerks????  Selfish superstars???  Selfless superstars???

Or...what the heck are people who "give" simply to "receive"???  Does this mean "receiving" is also "giving"?  Where does "keeping" stand, or, for that matter "rejecting" land?  

This sort of stuff is what maniacs like Buddha and St Francis like to torture us with!  ARGH!!!!

• Hugs 1