Is you is or is you was

Ralphie

After petite's thread reminded my of Barnaby Jones, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says is IS an American TV series.  So for people, when they are dead, they say was.  I wonder how consistent it is that things are always is if they still exist, as in reruns, or was, if they are totally gone, like companies or something.

Surprisingly, Sears is still an is, hanging on by a thread, and same for KMart!  TWA is a was (Ages ago, It was an is. :D )

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

WTH are you blathering on about?  :) 

I have no idea but I will say that Canada's last, oldest and only department store chain is on the verge of bankruptcy. 

I WAS blathering aboot a style guide, mostly, or maybe just Englich usage, as in what would Strunk and White do. :D .Tom and John BarnabyI 'spose I still is. :D

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

After petite's thread reminded my of Barnaby Jones, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says is IS an American TV series.  So for people, when they are dead, they say was.  I wonder how consistent it is that things are always is if they still exist, as in reruns, or was, if they are totally gone, like companies or something.

Surprisingly, Sears is still an is, hanging on by a thread, and same for KMart!  TWA is a was (Ages ago, It was an is. :D )

Reruns still make Barnaby Jones a WAS just like Buddy Ebsen's previous shows, The Beverly Hillbillies and Davy Crockett and the movies of his younger days.  I just watched a documentary about Benjamin Franklin and he's definitely a was despite pictures of him in his coonskin cap he wore in France that started a rave there but he only wore it so he wouldn't show sores on his bald head.

Still, most of us live in the moment of the show, even if the stars are long gone, and think of them in terms of how their characters looked on the show.  That's why we're often stunned at how stars who played young characters show up as old in cameo appearances on new shows or in commercials.  Marlo Thomas may look good for her 86 years in the St. Jude Children's Hospital commercials, but the That Girl star's look still shocks me.

32 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Marlo Thomas may look good for her 86 years in the St. Jude Children's Hospital commercials, but the That Girl star's look still shocks me.

I didn’t even recognize her until Judie told me who she was. Owl bet she paid for her plastic surgeon’s new boat.

• Heart 1