my such mixed feelings

shootingstar

So recently the former Dutch prime minister and wife died together via euthanasia, both @93.  This I kinda understand, though it's not clear what the health of both individuals were. But they felt they couldn't live without one another.

Well, it was probably a reasonably happy marriage. To feel so "joined" psychologically.

I personally have such mixed feelings  about joint euthanasia of a couple.

I think of my mother who was in a traditional marriage, where she was full-time at home raising kids, housework, and had an ok marriage to a kind man for 56 yrs., my father   As a daughter, I would never want mother to die like that just because she felt her life was empty/useless without her husband.  I would actually be deeply disappointed if my mother chose that route. I'm pretty certain my siblings would feel the same way as I would.

But then, I know my mother's personality....analytical, fairly opinionated.  A survivor immigrant.  She was 80 when my father died.  Her health was declining somewhat at that time. 

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think the key here is their age.  At that advanced age and with their life experiences, they clearly felt comfortable with the decision.  At 63, 73 or maybe even 83  someone likely wouldn’t feel the same.  

Maybe. I really think it is SO dependent on the personality of the person.

My mother is 90. Yes, she thinks about her hubby/my father but more in a grateful way. 

A BIL's Caucasian mom is 92, her hubby (former veternarian) died just last yr.  He did have pronounced dementia.  She lives in a high-end retirement home downtown Toronto and socializes. All I know she was tired of doing all the cooking during the marriage.  They had 3 children of which 1 died from drug overdoes in 20's.

She is like my mother, at home for most of the marriage. 

54 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Once an adult, your life should be yours to live or end.  Not at the uneducated whim of politicians or doctors.  

I can't support this fully .....if the person didn't have access to good counselling for a sustained time. We're not just talking about just physical suffering/pain, but very deep depression. My humble credit for the hard work of counsellors who have saved lives.

I lost a sister @50 yrs. She felt it was no use. 

• Hugs 1

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I can't support this fully .....if the person didn't have access to good counselling for a sustained time. We're not just talking about just physical suffering/pain, but very deep depression. My humble credit for the hard work of counsellors who have saved lives.

I lost a sister @50 yrs. She felt it was no use. 

Well, if it ever comes down to it, I won't be seeking your approval.  My body, my choice. :) 

• Heart 1