Cheap Irish Houses

MoseySusan

https://www.cheapirishhouses.com/

I’ve been watching this series somehow via Prime. The houses vary from mid-century to very old, and some need significant renovations. But it’s an interesting window into life in Ireland. My primary takeaway is that it’s wet there. Really wet. I’m rethinking my travel wardrobe and shoes. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 6:00 PM, MoseySusan said:

I’ve been watching this series somehow via Prime. The houses vary from mid-century to very old, and some need significant renovations. But it’s an interesting window into life in Ireland. My primary takeaway is that it’s wet there. Really wet. I’m rethinking my travel wardrobe and shoes. 

That reminds me.  I've visited my BiL's family in Northern Maine a couple times with him, working his cousin's lobster boat for fun - and lobsters and stone crabs and some kind of sea snails, seeing the sights, etc. and was amazed at the large number of empty, needs lots of work, but a steal for $25K including the property houses on the main roads. The semi-rural scenery looks beautiful.

My piano teacher, the late virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors, told me that one of her piano teachers retired with virtually no savings, sold his small Baltimore rowhouse, and bought one of those Maine homes, fixed it up, and lived happily on Social Security plus a small income from giving piano lessons.

He was a semi-famous classical pianist around the world, but I can't think of his name now.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:00 PM, MoseySusan said:

When are you going?  Not sure if their weather wetness is closer to Washington coast around Apr. or so, minus big growth trees.  I've never been to Ireland. Just England in May ages ago.

Just get some Wellies and an umbrella and don't let the rain stop you.

As I look back, rain wasn't an issue, but had periods of overcast. Did have to return to Cliffs of Moher as first time was fogged in...but did make an interesting picture. Was sunny most of the time and any storm that comes through goes quickly thanks to the circumference of the earth. It is not like the days a storm system takes to travel across the US. For reference, London is at the same latitude of Alaska's Aleutian Island chain with Ireland even further north! Summer will have long days, so don't be surprised if still light at 10 or 11 at night. Winter is a different issue!

54 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

but a steal for $25K including the property houses on the main roads. The semi-rural scenery looks beautiful.

Right?! I see places like that in the northern part of this state, too. 50k for four walls, utilities, and a couple of acres. 

23 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Late September into early October. We have to decide how much time we have and how much of each country to see. 

2 countries and which ones beside Ireland?  Ok, sorry then it must be also Scotland also.  I have a close, long-time friend who immigrated from UK was a child.  She's been to back to UK several times.  She's going this May ...after finalizing her retirement to end time with employer by end of this Mar.

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

2 countries and which ones beside Ireland?  Ok, sorry then it must be also Scotland also

Right. Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland. Three countries, but even though we’ve narrowed down the scope quite a bit, there’s still too much for the time we have. So, we’re trying to decide whether to expand the number of days or shrink the number of countries. 

20 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Right. Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland. Three countries, but even though we’ve narrowed down the scope quite a bit, there’s still too much for the time we have. So, we’re trying to decide whether to expand the number of days or shrink the number of countries. 

It would be a shame not to include Scotland. I've never been. I just perceive it as culturally different.  So 2 wks. or so?

40 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Were thinking 17 days, the Irish countries and the city of Edinburgh in Scotland. But that’s a stretch. 

Really hope, your family's choice spots will be highlighted for a once in lifetime trip.

Even though the Internet gives a ton of info. and photos/video clips, it's different to be there in person.

Though not  Europe, I personally found going to Japan to buttress/contrast with South Korea (even though only Seoul), while still in Asia a good way for me realize I wasn't "imagining" / over-romanticizing things if ie. I just went to Japan.   They are 2 very modern places with well-preserved ancient, celebrated sites, but culturally quite different. Then layered in all this, I'm there experiencing it, as another different Asian from North America.

10 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Were thinking 17 days, the Irish countries and the city of Edinburgh in Scotland. But that’s a stretch. 

Travel scope creep is tough.  It's a hassle and the biggest expense to travel from home to Europe (or anywhere outside the US), so we try to maximize our time where we are going. But then we start doing the "add this" and "add that" to the mix, but I think it becomes a steadily growing list and timeframe.  Two weeks is generally our "good enough" travel window, so 17 days is hitting that limit - especially if the prior days are "packed" vs a more leisurely pacing.  

I sort of feel like Edinburgh and Scotland in general can be their own trip if you really love the Ireland bits - distinctly different from Scotland, but of the same level of difficulty (speak the main language, share common history, have a historical understanding, etc).  

We're wrapping up our summer plans and I'm busy pruning things knowing that after a busy two weeks, pushing for even more will likely have us a bit burned and ready for home. Better to scoop those additions up and add them to a future itinerary.